1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tea Appreciation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mandrake9072, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Goombi

Goombi Well-Known Member

Mm tea.

Been sampling a few first flush darjeelings.

Really like the Jungpana at the moment.

Staples:
    Bukhial TGFOP
    Coconut Bongo - infused oolong
    Mate of any sort - I've been drinking a lot a blend that's toasted mate with almond and cocoa
    Rooibos of any sort
    Mount Everest - a white/green blend with curry leaves, pepper, and corn

EDIT:

Thanks to the people who mentioned Upton. $9.20 flat shipping to Canada is sweet. And the prices are cheap, too.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Lapsang = disgusting heh

I cannot express how wrong you are.

3. Goombi

Goombi Well-Known Member

^

Great to drink. Even better to cook with.

I have this excellent concoction of Lapsang, chipotle, pepper, chili, cumin, etc. that's great on meats, seafood, and roasted veggies.

4. Galix

Galix Well-Known Member

Mariage Frères: ThÃ[​IMG] à l'OpÃ[​IMG]ra [​IMG]

5. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Well-Known Member

Currently in Southern India atm and will be heading out to find some quality tea vendors. Hopefully looking to find quality Assam. Unfortunately I can't head out to the actual gardens/production regions.

6. legorogel

legorogel Well-Known Member

If you want a tea with "punch" try some assam tea. Or some english breakfast blend, thats most punch i can think of.

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

what's some good teapots and good brands of equipment?

8. ettebe

ettebe Well-Known Member

I have been dying to have tea, but I haven't had a chance to make a nice cup in about a month. Plus it is hard to come by a Pu Er 1986 Yiwu. Seeing the place I tried it, is now sold out of it. I'll probably have to try out a different year.

9. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I like the ones from Mariage Frères.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this tea maker from Teavana. It has great reviews, and so far I'm very happy with it. It's great for making only a cup or two at a time with loose leaf tea. Anyone else have experience with this?

I just have a standard tea kettle to heat water. I've not really been happy with my teapot, because it leave too much debris in the tea. This thing does a great job of straining the tea leaves.

[​IMG]
    http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-makers-infusers/p/teavana-perfect-teamaker

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  11. Rockwell

Rockwell Well-Known Member

If you have ethnic friends, you should try to see if they can get you teas from back home. I have tried a lot of different kinds from asia and they are quite interesting. It's exciting to get a tea from a small producer from a country you know very little about. Personally, I like the story of how it got to me as much as the taste. I have had teas from China with small labels only written in chinese, Korean teas in a zip lock bag from a small producer that took off the first leaves of the season and so on. It's like trying to find that perfect cup of tea from a certain region in a certain country in a certain climate.

12. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I've had Gyokuro Hikari yesterday. Quite good. But haven't figured out the right temp/amount/time ratio yet. I used 5g tea for 20cl. First brew was 50°C/122°F for three minutes. This was too long. Definitely bitter. Or I've been deceived and it's not authentic Gyokuro. :laugh:
    The following brews were 45-50°C/113-122°F for 30-45 seconds. 30 was best.

Any improvements?

13. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good source for bulk Mariage teas stateside? Looking primarily for the de fete, but I'd settle for good prices on some of the more common ones. Not really looking for the tins that Dean and Deluca have.

14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

We have a Mariage Frères store in Hamburg. :cool:
    How much do you need, if non-stateside is ok, too? Shipping isn't very expensive internationally (non-insured), but it will obviously be substantial if you just want 100g. It's 3,45€ for up to 500g.

BTW, has anyone tried the muguet and cherry blossom green/white tea?

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Gumps in San Francisco has a large selection.

We drink a lot of green tea in our home and try to find ones from Yame, a town in Kyushu.

Another shout-out to Mariage Freres is their Arabie, which is green tea mixed with rose petals, mint, and a little orange peel.

16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

17. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Anybody has tried some wuyi rock tea ?

18. salisboss

salisboss Well-Known Member

I just got back from England (got hooked on tea over there) so my wife and I drinking Harrods and Fortnum & Mason breakfast blends.

19. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I've been Drinking puerh lately but it's a pain to brew with a gaiwan

20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

ftfy

:hide: