1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by taylorstitch, Jun 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

Another question is, what does Target get out of this deal? If the price of TS shirts is $98 via Target and $98 via TS, who's getting what? And as has been pointed out, why would I buy a TS shirt from Target rather through TS direct? The whole thing is strange to me but I'm no marketing/sales expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. gaseousclay

I think Target is basically trying to emulate J Crew, and that is to align themselves with reputable brands that make them look good. Just look at J Crews 'In Good Company' section - it's mostly made up of mid to high quality brands. Maybe the idea is to boost sales of Target's in-house brand of clothing. "Shoppers who bought this Taylor Stitch shirt also bought this Merona tie." Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

That's a good point. But of course J.Crew's reputation for quality was slightly higher than Target's when they started those partnerships with outside brands. And they know how to merchandise the hell out of stuff. I mean, Target just slapped up a pic of a TS OCBD and it has all the aesthetic beauty of a page selling a three-pack of paper towels. I would not be romanticized by the idea of buying American-made goods looking at that page. I don't mean to be a killjoy here. TS can and should do as it pleases, as does Target - I'm just thinking this through and wondering whether there wasn't something a little more nuanced their marketing dept could have come up with than a stealth drop of Made in USA goods providing the buyer with no discernible advantage over just going direct to the maker of the good.

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Why is this so outrageous, though?

Get people in the door = they spend on MORE than just the product advertised. This is almost always the strategy.

Premium product = oh look! Targét is the place for low AND high end goods! = consolidate purchasing in one place

American Made = keep faith of middle America strong that Target is "doing good" in a time of outsourcing = securing brand loyalty for another 5-6 yrs

Maybe even setting Target up to do its own branded "higher end" stuff down the line.

5. matt1985

matt1985 Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised to see Taylor Stitch being stocked at Target. But really it's quite a smart move on their behalf. (Now stock Taylor Stitch in Target Australia!! :p)

It gets their product out there to consumers that would not normally know about the brand. People walk around browsing at clothes all the time, obviously some are going to look at a Taylor Stitch oxford and snub their nose at the cost considering they can buy one cheaper 5 meters on the other rack.

But they will certainly gain a few more new customers that will see the made in America brand and think, shit. I might spend a few more extra bucks and get something made locally and probably better quality. (you only have to feel the shirt to tell the difference) Even if they don't buy in store, they may go home and google the brand to find more info out possibly leading to a purchase off their website.

In Australia we have David Jones, Myer and a few other stores that stock high end stuff like Tom ford, Ralph Lauren etc, mixed in with brands offering basic tee's you can buy for 25 bucks a pop.

You only have to go and watch people shop in these places, they browse from rack to rack and quite often you see them purchasing the higher priced item. I've been guilty of it myself. But a lot of people think if they spend more surely it has to be a better product then the similar shirt $40 cheaper on the other rack? And in the case of the Taylor Stitch shirt it definitely worth the extra bucks.

I wish them all the best with it, and hopefully it pays off big time for them! I just hope the quality stays the same and they stick to their values that has made them an amazing company so far.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. meso

meso Well-Known Member

So not controversial. Isn't Taylor Stitch about indistinguishable from say J. Crew at this point anyways?

7. eljlakers

In what way? All JCrew stuff is made abroad, they have about 100,000 SKUs, and they have a storefront or six in every major city in America. They also relentlessly play the discount game. TS is made in US or Portugal, sells primarily online or via crowdsource, has a pretty tight product line at any given time, and hardly ever discounts beyond a certain point. I buy from both brands and have no problem with companies making things outside the US (I think that's largely a red herring that "Americana brands" lean on to sell at a higher margin) because people in those countries need jobs too. But I don't think they're that comparable other than that they both make clothing.

8. bigwhat62

bigwhat62 Well-Known Member

received my work chambray shirts yesterday and they are beautiful. very nice material and one big issue...they are super long. i cant wear them unless i tuck them in or have them tailored. this is a deal breaker since their oxfords fit perfect. im going to have to return them. im afraid my jaquard shirt wont fit properly either when they return them. i did see one other person here post that they will have them tailored, anyone else have issues with the sizing of this shirt?

9. gaseousclay

I disagree with your assertion that 'made in America' is a marketing ploy to charge more for product. It mainly boils down to supply/demand. When you have a lot of companies producing clothing for pennies on the dollar, and then marking that clothing up 300% (or whatever) then you're truly being gouged. The skilled labor pool in the US has also shrunk because a lot of these companies like J Crew outsourced manufacturing to countries where labor is cheap. It's no surprise that there are probably more skilled sewers and the like in China because that's where a lot of clothes are made. The U.S. has a smaller skilled labor force that can manufacture goods on a massive scale, not to mention a higher cost of living. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Do you mean the sand/green work shirts with the thick material?

Mine came out longer than the oxfords. I gave it to my tailor to shorten, which is an easy task.

To be fair, my white oxford is longer than my charcoal; I think the white came first or was cut on a different patten than the charcoal (updated pattern/dimensions?)...but everything else fits the same.

My 36 sand work shirt only right in the shoulders. Sleeve length, chest, and body length felt like a 38, and thus had to be tailored.

11. meso

meso Well-Known Member

I'm talking more about the aesthetics and quality of the clothing. TS was a little more interesting a few years ago when it was more difficult to get shirts in flattering fits and (mildly) interesting fabrics. Nowadays J Crew and mall brands all have slimmer cuts and similar selection of fabrics. Correct me if I'm wrong but TS doesn't go out of their way to source unusual fabrics like say Epaulet, nor is TS particularly consistent in their sizing. Instead TS seems focused on lowering their price point and increasing distribution.

I have a few TS pieces but mostly for wearing around the house or yard work. TS landing in Target is completely unsurprising because TS isn't exactly fashion forward, is it? I like the Yosemite shirts, but it's just a tailored version of the kind of shirt LL Bean has been making for decades.

If anything, the TS aesthetic is pretty conservative. They'll fit right in at Target.

12. bigwhat62

how much did your tailor charge for the shortening? dont want to to hassle with finding a local tailor to have my shirts done. but these shirts are nice enough where i should look around. all my oxfords fit the same and other shirts they've released fit pretty similar in the chest and the length. i hope the black ox i have on order is the same sizing.

13. eljlakers

Can't argue with anything you just said. I think they fill a bit of a void in that they are more flattering in general than LL Bean stuff, but retain the small company vibe that many people look for these days (as opposed to JCrew).

1 person likes this.
  14. eljlakers

I certainly didn't mean all Made in USA brands charge excessively, but some do and capitalize on that feeling. If anything TS is probably on the low end of that price spectrum (especially something through their workshop). Not to get into a whole outsourcing discussion here because people might already be bored with this topic, but jobs flooded overseas because our demand for consumer goods far outpaced our internal ability to deliver them at a price that matched our growing demand. Back when there was a sizable workforce of skilled clothing makers, people probably had one piece of clothing for every five they do today. Even today, we like to buy durable, well-made goods, but then buy one in every color, so it sort of defeats the purpose of getting good clothes and wearing them hard. We moved jobs overseas because that's where our consumption patterns took us - not because retailers especially like producing halfway across the earth and figuring out how to get stuff here. They'd much rather produce here, cut down on lead times, and enjoy the PR benefits of hiring US workers. But that doesn't scale beyond a certain point because it's expensive to live the US and we as US consumers (I don't mean SF members in particular, but the general population) don't want to pay enough for a piece of clothing to sustain that.

15. emeles86

emeles86 Member

Any UK members that have ordered TS goods here? If so could you tell me how long you waited for your goods to arrive?

Ordered an Ash Twill shirt two and a half weeks ago, I'm patient but when I checked the tracking on the USPS site it said that the package was still in "pre-shipment" phase :-(

I'm hoping that doesn't mean I've waited two weeks and it hasn't even left the states yet!

Thanks.

16. Klemins

Klemins Well-Known Member

Welcome to Taylor Stitch, where you never know how an item will fit. I honestly think about 50% of their products match the general size charts they have, yet they refuse to add product-specific measurements. I wonder how much they'd save on return shipping if they just measured their products, or advised if they're running large/small.

17. gaseousclay

my understanding was that jobs flooded the overseas market because companies found an inexpensive pool of labor that would increase their bottom line. I think this was especially true after the 1960's, as it seems a lot of goods prior to the 60's were built to last (ie. firearms, safety razors, etc). I think of companies like Levi's who apparently sold off their old shuttle looms because they found a cheaper method of producing denim. the Japanese bought up these vintage looms and are now producing some of the best denim in the world, which incidentally, costs the consumer more money.

what I see happening is a resurgence in the US textile/manufacturing industries. I think consumers to an extent are tired of cheap throwaway products and want something that will last a long time, and they're willing to pay for it.

18. bigwhat62

i hear you man. ive had my fair share of returns to TS. It it disappointing when something shows up not fitting but as long as they pay for the return I can live with that.

19. benjaminpersitz

benjaminpersitz Member

I have never experienced this. I own 2 TS shirts, both different styles. I've tried on and measured 3 or 4 others at a local stockist and they're all to measurement on their fit guide. They also have different fit guides for different shirts on each items product page..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I own like 14 ts shirts and I got my first one that doesn't follow the exact measurements. The new chambrays are a spec long compared to other shirts. But nothing I'll lose sleep over.