1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

To be fair, most of us would be schmoes regardless of portfolio performance.

2. lawyerdad

Just had to pass this along from a an AV Club piece:

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

We have an intuitive stock picker in our midst and idfnl is no schmoe. He can just feel the market or so he tells us. You should write a news letter based off his intuition.

$$$$

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

5. lawyerdad

Could well be broken, I don't really know the mechanics of it. But it's worth noting that while VIX is currently negative (has bounced between red and green) slightly for the day, over the last week or so it's gone up by about 25%. At least I think that's right - too lazy to go back and check, but pretty sure it's recently gone from 11ish to 15ish.

6. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Odd question, but does anyone have suggestions for searching for an accountant? I mean, beyond the google search. I don't think that I really have any friends or family who use one so I can't really ask for recommendations.

7. stimulacra

stimulacra Well-Known Member

I would always seek out a word-of-mouth referral first. You don't know anyone that owns a small business or juggles multiple streams of revenue? Those are the only two types of folks that would have regular need for a CPA.

Past that maybe LinkedIn or Facebook would be a good way to tap your local hive-mind.

Are you looking for someone to maintain your books in the event of an audit, or a general financial advisor?

1 person likes this.
  8. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

More tax planning and maintenance.

My father in law has an accountant, but I would really rather not use them.

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Lost.

Can you elaborate or back this up? I am not sure how any of these entities use law enforcement to enforce their rules so ruthlessly.

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

For a CPA, I just found a local guy based on a Google search then looked to see if he had younger people working for him. Our taxes get completed by a woman of similar age to us and she helps with tax planning and any issues arise. The owner really just gives the returns a once over.

The tax planning we have had done included adjusting W-4 forms, our son, and changes when we refi'd our house. It was more to make sure we are paying enough tax but not too much that we end up with a huge return at the end of the year.

Also while searching, I looked for a CPA that wasn't in a high rent space on a main st. but one in a decent office off of a main road. You don't want someone who will charge you a ton for say a basic return, our basic tax planning is free, just because they are in a high rent building.

1 person likes this.