• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

chrisjr

Reaction score
^^ Indians are the next wave

Btw Oosten is sweet. Went to a TSLA/Oosten launch party in September. That PH is droolworthy.

As long as I can stay in my apt in Soho for <$2k / mo, I can't make sense of buying.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Let me know if you want to go in on a few NYC apartments ;).

Sure thing. I just closed on the top floor penthouse on 432 Park Ave.

--

Getting so nervous about AAPL earnings that I'm feeling the onset of a case of the squirts.

Maybe getting two McPick 2s for lunch wasn't the best idea.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As someone who wants to buy, wtf is going on. 

Honestly the prices in NYC and NJ are insane. Sellers are delusional. You can easily have $2k a month carrying costs not counting the mortgage. Prices are sky rocketing and the flattening yield curve seems to be chipping away at the stagnation of prices. 

In a year I've seen Williamsburg go from $750 a sqft to $1300 a sqft. 

Frankly based on any reasonable calculation you'd need $250k a year as a household to reasonably afford a 2 bedroom in NYC not in a Co-Op. Move out to the suburbs you'd still need $150k and your carrying costs are higher. This isn't even counting the down payment or high closing costs or 3% NYC tax. Oosten, which is perhaps one of the worst value units I've seen, has only 78 of its 200+ units yet, so clearly someone is throwing down the cash.

I don't know that many people outside of finance, medicine or law earning that. Even those I know in those fields have a lot of debt. So who the hell is still buying? 

NJ is crazy, we have seen people sell in our neighborhood in 1-5 days...with people paying above asking price.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are NYC property taxes like? We are considered high here in Nashville at about 1% property value.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russians and the Chinese
The prices have been going up and up for them with the dollar strengthening. Combined with the slowdowns in both economy and increased scrutiny on real estate transactions I think that spigot is closing.
^^ Indians are the next wave

Btw Oosten is sweet. Went to a TSLA/Oosten launch party in September. That PH is droolworthy.

As long as I can stay in my apt in Soho for <$2k / mo, I can't make sense of buying.
Oh I had a great time visiting. Excellent coffee. No reason something that south in Williamsburg should be that insanely expensive because at that price I'd rather just live in Manhattan (unless you go for one of the super big townhouses which are unavailable in Manhattan). That isn't to mention that the taxes and fees are pretty high too.

Given a Chinese developer who still has 36% units unsold, a higher cost in yuan to finance the remainder of the project and the fact that most people have simply committed and not paid in full, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it implode or get government assistance.

What kind of place do you have in Soho? That seems like a sweet deal.
NJ is crazy, we have seen people sell in our neighborhood in 1-5 days...with people paying above asking price.
What town do you live in? I saw a nice place in Morristown, a bit expensive, but the $2k carrying cost kills it for me.
What are NYC property taxes like? We are considered high here in Nashville at about 1% property value.
A 2 bedroom is probably $500-$1,000 a month without a tax abatement. Generally the value on that property is in the $1.2-$1.4M range. Can depend on a lot of things though.

In NJ and greater Long Island it is generally 5-10% of the assessed value I believe.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Re housing, an ad in Dubai :

Pay for 1 bedroom use it as a 2bed! Fully Furnished Apartments. Studios starting from AED 430,000 Pay 1% per month Call 0528623107 OPTOUT 3001

chrisjr

Reaction score

What kind of place do you have in Soho? That seems like a sweet deal. 

3bd/3ba for low $5s/mo with mid level condo finishes (e.g. hardwood floors, marble bathrooms, granite, GE-level appliances). It's quite good with a few annoying downsides - noise being the biggest but hell, that's NY. Saw 70 Pine is starting to let their first tenants move in. Studios for $3.4-4K and 1br for $5k? nothx.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3bd/3ba for low $5s/mo with mid level condo finishes (e.g. hardwood floors, marble bathrooms, granite, GE-level appliances). It's quite good with a few annoying downsides - noise being the biggest but hell, that's NY. Saw 70 Pine is starting to let their first tenants move in. Studios for $3.4-4K and 1br for $5k? nothx.
That's a pretty good deal. I used to work around there.

I generally consider $1,500 to be the minimum for a bedroom and bathroom in any of desireable areas, i.e. 2 bedroom for 3k at a minimum.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shanghai down another 3% so far, but the SP doesnt seem to care its all good

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what's going on. I'm thinking of cryogenically freezing myself as a good option. I could roll with the Vanilla Sky lifestyle.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shanghai down another 3% so far, but the SP doesnt seem to care its all good

Shanghai usually follows the S&P from the previous day unless China releases data while US markets are closed but then futures are down.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I have no idea what's going on. I'm thinking of cryogenically freezing myself as a good option. I could roll with the Vanilla Sky lifestyle.

what if the cryo corp you use goes bust while you frozen :eek:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads