1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

It looks like NKE will have 200dma support around $46/sh. CNBC keeps saying buy FL since they carry UA, NKE, Adidas, and the like.

1 person likes this.
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I'm a buyer on this news. This DOJ probe shit has been known for months already. Not sure how this is any 'new' news.

3. chrisjr

chrisjr Well-Known Member

Probe has obviously been known for many months but I presume the market views the fraud charges that are apparently being brought against Pearson and Schiller as a "oh shit maybe this really is another Enron." Already trading up after hours. I bought at $18 just before close.

4. GreenFrog

Market has not been kind to me the past week or so. Oberall portfolio down around 1.5%.

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Anyone follow NKE closely and understand why it's been under performing the last few months?

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

No new product innovation with Nike during the Olympics along with UA with basketball and Adidas with Originals and Yeezy footwear have been doing quite well eating in to Nike's market share.

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

But UA stock is totally in the shitter... how can that be if they're taking share from NKE?

8. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Adidas is the star here. UA isn't innovating and their shoes abut ugly has shit this year. Not selling.

Money is flowing to adidas because of Boost technology and designs.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

UA was on a tear the past year with Steph Curry (right up until the NBA Finals and release of the new Curry's which were dog shit ugly) and Jordan Spieth dominating in golf in 2015 through the Masters in 2016. UA only recently went into the shitter. Also, UA women's clothing is doing quite well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, more or less its related to competition.

I've got a growing knot of cash and I'm growing tired of waiting for a correction. Thinking of adding to my position. Would you?

11. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Roth 401k or regular? My thought is regular because it helps me with the phase out of some deductions (such as student loans). Plus, I'm also putting money into a Roth IRA I figure it makes sense to diversify roth vs regular.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Sounds about right to me.

Roth IRA makes a lot of sense (even if you are over the limit and just doing an annual back door conversion).

But since the 401k doesn't phase out the deduction on income (and you can put a sizeable chunk in there), it is nice to take that deduction now. And there may be some merit to diversifying between the two if you are unsure about future taxation.

My employer offers both, but their matching contributions only go to the traditional...so even if you choose a Roth 401k...you still have a normal 401k as well. If it weren't for that though...there would be some small argument in favor of the Roth 401k, if you were someone who does a back door Roth IRA and don't plan to stick with the job forever.

In that instance, I believe you could merge the Roth 401k with your Roth IRA when you leave the firm. If you went traditional, you would either have to roll it to your next job's 401k (if that's an option), or roll to a traditional IRA. Once you have a multi-year position in the traditional IRA, the annual backdoor process becomes problematic/

13. GreenFrog

I can't believe this but I'm starting to see the possibility of a Trump presidency.

God save us all.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

They say the rain helped the Brexit vote so you never know what will happen next Tuesday.

I volunteered some CNBC feedback for their website refresh and they called today looking for why I liked specific chart designs. It was interesting talking to people who just think in design terms and not in how people interact and use the website. They were going to get rid of axis labels for their charts which would have made me switch to Yahoo!

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Wow, pretty down day. Red across the board here.

Added a bit to my positions in AAPL at 111, TSLA at 189, and a bit of SPI and GLF which are both down heavily for me.

The most interesting thing I think I picked up today was BKD. Pretty large REIT, took a massive nosedive like 20%. I tripled down at 11 and was previously buying around 14.5-15.5 so breakeven's now like 12.5. Hoping this is an over-reaction and it'll recover in the coming weeks.

I'm eagerly anticipating GILD earnings tonight. By far my biggest holding and I'm down like 10% on it. I have a bad feeling it'll drop about 5-6% and I'm loathe to throw more at it. If it jumps up great, I'll hold, if it drops I'll add about 20%, that's all I've got and I'll be way over-committed there. Le sigh

16. stimulacra

stimulacra Well-Known Member

I don't follow sports apparel too closely but always considered Nike to be one of the great consumer brands. Based on that it looks like a good entry point at the moment.

[​IMG]

17. chrisjr

chrisjr Well-Known Member

Valeant in talks to sell Salix to Takeda for $10 bln -- would take out a huge chunk of debt in one swipe. $VRX up 13%

18. GreenFrog

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

My thought also.

But that's an awfully steep climb thru 2015, that's what worries me.

20. GreenFrog

Up 32% now dats nuts

Edit: next Tuesday is gonna be a make or break moment for the stock, at least in the short to medium term. We got the election and then earnings. If they at least meet expectations and guidance isn't reduced, stock might hit the 30s again.