1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Being results oriented. I can say that GF's avoiding of being jinxed is working nicely today.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I love results. Sold SCTY pre-earnings and it was down 7% today. Still love the story and plan to buy back in at a lower level.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Don't scoff.

I just made some solid gains by loading up on a Triple Leveraged Inverse Jinx ETF on margin.

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I don't know if a Jinx ETF is some inside joke, but triple leverage on margin in this investment climate is foolish at best.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Yes, referencing a couple of posts up.

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Thank the lord, for his sake.

8. GreenFrog

I'm serious, guise.

It's a new ETF offered by Vanguard and the expense ratio is 525 bps.

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

What's appealing about SCTY over FSLR? I own neither, but I am curious.

10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about FSLR to really compare and contrast. They are different segments of the same market. In fact, when you google finance it, SCTY doesn't even appear as a competitor.

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=707027

FSLR manufactures and retails, but SCTY is more in the business of leasing and derivatives of that model. I like the story because they are signing long term leases with the tailwind of lower and lower costs of getting solar panels installed with ever increasing efficiency. It's the slower equivalent of if Intel in the early 90's leased 386 processors long term with Pentium processors right on the horizon, followed by the Pentium Pro, II, III, etc. You're locking customers into obsolescence, basically, and they are paying for it. If that can't generate income, what will?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  11. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

SCTY has the benefit of Elon Musk, but I am about to pick up some SPWR for their innovation in this space.

Just took a nibble on AMZN too. both have strong long term potential.

12. GreenFrog

God my new employer's 401k plan sucks.

The number of investment options is laughable at best and the expense ratios on all these funds are outrageous.

It's 72 bps for an S&P 500 index!

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I am wondering about my new employers plan as well but I can't enroll for 6 months. They touted a great medical benefit but that sucked so we will see.

14. GreenFrog

Ours is through ADP, which explains a lot of the suckage.

Thankfully, our medical benefits are fairly generous.

15. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yeah wish employers gave you better options. Sticking with maxing out roth right now

My first job had tiny match percentage and was with a tiny bank. Think there were about 15 options for what you could buy without paying 1.5% management fee for the ability to buy anything else. Healthcare also cost pretty much what I paid independently (before Obama insane price increases :fu:) and had arguably less coverage

16. jbarwick

My wife has ADP for her 401k and we only invest in the S&P option. A little better now that she gets a 4% match from her employer but still. Also realized recently that we are over the deduction limit for a Trad IRA so I will need to figure out if it is worth putting money in there vs. a normal investment account. I suppose future taxes are unpredictable so it is more of a Normal Income vs. Capital Gains tax guess.

17. GreenFrog

I'm 100% in the S&P index fund as well.

Re: taxes, I actually figure taxes will be higher over the next several decades. We're at historically low rates. I sometimes wonder why I don't contribute to a Roth 401k.

--

Pissing me off: fuckin Putin and his fucking antics fucking up my returns. Fuck that shithead.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  18. jbarwick

A Roth is a solid idea in my book since taxes will go up. We do 401k to match, then Roth, then back to max out 401k though we aren't maxing out 401k currently. Paying off student loans (done in March at the latest!) then we will probably max.

As for this market, the Dow is flat YTD and the NASDAQ is pulling away at a whopping 6%!!! Our best performing investment this year is our REIT. Up 18.45% after dogging last year. It spits off a nice dividend plus I had to rebalance it as we were pushing 15% of our portfolio to our desired allocation of 10%.

19. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

This is certainly one way to look at it...:D
    Did you vote for Obummer?

20. GreenFrog

Noap.

--

Intrigued by LOCO after this drop.