1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I tried to buy some mcig yesterday but they said I had to call an actual broker.

decided not to.

2. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

FT will be on Kindle night before so you can read as you go to bed (West Coast at least), WSJ in the morning and NYTimes. Then Barrons and Economist and Venturewire daily news

Also google alerts for big time guys and hedge funds. Also follow a few analysts that have been good. This could be used more but it's a hassle as you will get a lot of junk, rarely check

Get reports from a few funds on market sentiment and stuff like that. Baker Ave one is quite nice. Just get them forwarded from old professors and ibanking friends. Also will get the analyst reports from GS then from another random bank

SeekingAlpha is good for throwing away money but every once in a while there a gems. Forgot which fertilizer company I gambled on but it paid off big. Feel most analysis takes maybe 2 minutes looking at numbers which is then irrelevant with analyst report which is done for you.

How much is Bloomberg subscription these days? No way I could afford but always nice to dream about

1 person likes this.
  3. stevent

What do you see in them? Product looks good but when you have one guy as " President, Chief Executive Officer, Principal Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Principal Accounting Officer, Treasurer, Secretary, Director" that's a bit iffy?

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I have Google Finance and CNBC opened all day at work. I want to get a subscription to the Economist but haven't looked into it too much. When I day traded there was a morning section on Yahoo Finance that was amazing but the makeover seems to have removed it or put it some place I can't find today.

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Well...what's not iffy about a penny stock for a company that sells something that is illegal to use for its intended purpose in most jurisdictions?

Still though, with the way attitudes are changing, I can see this having decent mid-term potential. They sold out of their initial inventory...my guess is that those orders will start to get delivered, and people will start doing the word of mouth spread. Assuming people like the product and that the company can keep production going, there is a big opening here. The major players aren't ready to step in on this market.

Biggest product issue I can see would be if people decide they prefer some sort of hash oil concentrate ecig refills. Then you can use any of the established ecig manufacturers and just get your refills elsewhere....the mCig requires plant matter.

6. stevent

Ah yeah I've been getting into weed related stuff. I placed a order last week but cancelled it since I wasn't sure. Might check out one of their "day spas" in area and see if I can talk to CEO and everything

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

also, FWIW, I was only going to buy 2750 shares (about one biweekly IRA contribution's worth) and just let it sit. Trading fees are high as a % of that small of a trade...but they are absolutely absurd if you have to make a broker assisted trade, which is something like $50. Maybe they would waive the fee since you aren't using the human broker by choice...

Would be a little more nervous about throwing a ton at it...but it's nice to have a few gamble stocks in the ira. Maybe it climbs back to its offering price and you've made a couple grand without having to pay any taxes on the gains....or maybe it stagnates and never goes anywhere. Bought a bunch of Vestas back when they were really floundering early this year (I already had a small position in them from a couple of years ago that had lost almost all of its value)...those shares have almost quadrupled in value and have more than made up for the losses on the old shares. Since that seems to have moved out of "gamble" territory, I guess I need another gamble in there.

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Not to say that those gambles always work. I've got one sitting there that has just been stagnant.

Another, Biosolar (BSRC) was a penny stock that I threw ~$500 at in various purchases in 2010 but didn't sell when I should. Now it is worth $20 and not even worth paying the commission to get out of the position. I think they got worried that their penny stock didn't have any room to go lower, so they did a big reverse-split that brought the price back to a few bucks...just so it could continue to fall back into the pennies per share territory.
    Oh well...they are still operating...no bankruptcy or shutdown...maybe those shares will be worth selling at some point in the future

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  9. stevent

Yeah I had order for 8k shares, luckily nobody filled it. I could trade it online no fees outside of the standard $9.

Need to focus a bit more, didn't trade for almost a year other than checking a few names and selling on bad news (say LULU when CEO left) and now bug has gotten me again. Haven't been doing due diligence on a few stocks but overall quite happy with the 25% I'm up on everything recently so feeling more ambitious with penny stocks. Most stocks easy since all information is out there but penny stocks are harder to analyze quickly.

What else do you have in terms on gambling stocks? I only have ALBKY and AMRN picked up recently, down 25% or so on those but like you it's a Roth IRA play. Want to move into weed stocks for sure but not sure where else to look.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Woot Woot!

Made some decent coin day trading on margin :slayer:

Holy hell the adrenaline rush is just... stressful fucking shit. I'm still shaking.

1 person likes this.
  11. GreenFrog

OF COURSE THE STOCK I WAS TRADING IS UP 50% RIGHT AFTER I SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fu:
    :brick:
    :brick::brick:

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Ugh. AMRN has been long, drawn-out shit show.

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

ZNGA is trading huge volume today. On watch for a breakout if y'all want to get frisky on a Friday

14. GreenFrog

Play with ICLD if you guys have big balls (like me).

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

currently holding:

HES HESS CORP
    ETN EATON CORP PLC
    FLR FLUOR CORP NEW DEL COM
    GD GENL DYNAMICS CORP COM
    AZO AUTOZONE INC NEVADA COM
    WFC WELLS FARGO & CO NEW DEL
    VLO VALERO ENERGY CORP NEW
    CHK CHESAPEAKE ENERGY OKLA
    COF CAPITAL ONE FINL
    LQD ISHARES IBOXX $ INVT GRADE CORP BD
    BIIB BIOGEN IDEC INC
    JNK SPDR BARCLAYS HIGH YIELD BOND ETF
    XOM EXXON MOBIL CORP COM
    VIG VANGUARD DIVIDEND APPRECIATION ETF
    SDY SPDR S P DIVID ETF
    DLTR DOLLAR TREE INC
    GME GAMESTOP CORP NEW CL A
    HBAN HUNTNGTN BANCSHS INC MD
    BSV VANGUARD SHORT TERM BOND
    VRTX VERTEX PHARMCTLS INC
    MT ARCELORMITTAL SA, LUXEMBOURG
    VVUS VIVUS INC DEL PV
    IVAEX IVY ASSET STRATEGY FUND CL I
    SGIIX FIRST EAGLE GLOBAL CLASS I
    MALOX BLACKROCK GLOBAL ALLOCATION FD INC INSTL
    IYSIX IVY SMALL CAP GROWTH FUND CL I
    PGDPX PRINCIPAL GLOBAL DIVERSI INCOME FUND CL P
    BX BLACKSTONE GROUP LP COM UNIT REPSTG L P

unloaded this year (winners):

MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC
    SIMON PROPERTY GROUP DEL
    IVY ASSET STRATEGY FD I
    FIRST EAG GLOBAL CL I
    MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP
    ISHARES IBOXX $
    JPMORGAN CHASE & CO
    BLACKROCK GLOBAL ALLOC I
    ISHARES RS 2000 VALUE
    ALPS ALERIAN MLP ETF
    ABBVIE INC SHS
    OCCIDENTAL PETE CORP CAL
    EATON CORP PLC
    CAPITAL ONE FINL
    AUTOZONE INC NEVADA COM
    HESS CORP
    WELLS FARGO & CO NEW DEL
    SPDR BARCLAYS
    IVY SMALL CAP GROWTH I
    GENL DYNAMICS CORP COM
    PRINCIPAL GLB DIV INC P
    EXXON MOBIL CORP COM
    ISHARES BARCLYS 1-3 YEAR
    FIRST EAGLE
    IVY ASSET STRATEGY
    IVY SMALL CAP GROWTH
    PRINCIPAL GLOBAL DIVERSI
    BLACKROCK GLOBAL

unloaded this year (losers):

CHESAPEAKE ENERGY OKLA
    CONSTELLATION BRANDS INC
    APACHE CORP
    WHIRLPOOL CORP
    CENTURYLINK INC SHS
    ISHARES JP MORGAN EM BON

401K:

American Funds New Economy Fund A (ANEFX) -- 22.18% of total
    American Funds Fundamental Inv A (ANCFX) -- 22.02% of total
    American Funds Growth Fund of America A (AGTHX) -- 21.30% of total
    American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund A (AEPGX) -- 18.57% of total
    American Funds SMALLCAP World Fund A (SMCWX)-- 15.93% of total

stocks up +13.37% ytd
    mutual funds up +26.38% ytd
    401K up + 25.34% ytd

also have a boring Schwab buy & hold account where I keep some ETFs in a moderately-aggressive 45% US stocks, 30% International equity, 10% emerging markets equity, 10% US dividend, 3% aggregate bond and 2% misc:

CVY GUGGENHEIM EXCH TRD FD MULTI ASSET INCOME ETF
    PGXPOWERSHS EXCH TRAD FD TRPREFERRED PORTFOLIO ETF
    FNDESCH FND EM LG ETF
    FNDFSCH FND INTL LG ETF
    FNDCSCH FND INTL SM ETF
    SCHZSCH US AGG BND ETF
    SCHDSCH US DIV EQUITY ETF
    SCHHSCH US REIT ETF
    SCHESCHW EMG MKT EQ ETF
    SCHFSCHW INTL EQ ETF
    SCHCSCHW INTL SCAP ETF
    SCHBSCHW US BRD MKT ETF
    SCHXSCHW US LCAP ETF
    SCHGSCHW US LCAP GRO ETF
    CWISPDR MSCI ACWI EX-US
    MDYGSPDR S&P 400 MID CAP GROWTH ETF
    SLYGSPDR S&P 600 SMALL CAP GROWTH

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  16. GreenFrog

^ well done. very solid performance.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  17. amerikajinda

Thanks! Haven't traded on margin or messed with puts/calls/options/futures or anything like that yet, but I'm intrigued by your experiences and the whole adrenaline rush.

18. GreenFrog

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend what I do unless you're risk-seeking and have big balls, really. At the end of the day, all I'm really doing is gambling with the house's money. Very, very risky behavior. I'm young and can afford this risk much more than someone in their late 20s / 30s / 40s, so you'll find that some of the more seasoned investors here take more conservative approaches, rightfully so.

Sometimes I stand back and evaluate what I'm doing and question how foolish my investing behavior really is, but I'm lusting after gains.. and big risk = big gains.

Anyway, I only day trade on margin when I have a couple hours on hand to monitor a stock. The stocks I pick to day trade aren't based on fundamentals at all. I simply screen which stocks have popped during the day and look for decent volume (liquidity), and high volatility. Then I monitor the stock's movements for the first couple of hours into the trading session. Then I trade on the stock's movement patterns. Some stocks that pop follow a really predictable up / down pattern and those are the ones I pick.

This past friday, for example. Bought into a position with ICLD, which popped 200%+. Extremely volatile swings and at one point, I was down almost 7% and panicking like crazy. Put in a limit order for a share price a couple percentage points above my cost basis and it hit that target within 10 minutes. Was satisfied with that until the stock literally popped again another 50% around 10 minutes after I sold. Could have made a cool five figures off of that 50% pop... but alas, that 7% drop earlier made me panic and want to get out ASAP. But... if I only I had waited a bit longer. Anyway, it could have very well dropped another 50% and that would have triggered a nasty margin call. It's a constant mind game of 'what if...' and that can be very stressful.

You can sense my frustration, even though I made decent coin on the trade anyway.

I hate how my mind works, sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  19. polloloco

polloloco Member

Stevent, all aboard the MJ train. Check out GWPH. Sativex for MS has already been approved in over 20 countries, and in the process of receiving US approval. GW is also partnering with Novartis for distribution in Oceania, and other parts. With their patents and continued research (clinical trials into treating types of brain tumors), they have some good potential to generate decent returns in near future.

20. amerikajinda

I'm just now reading through this thread for the first time. Some good advice (in hindsight) here! Both these guys recommended Micron Technology (MU) a while back. I didn't see their posts at the time, but turns out to have been very prescient advice!

An article online today at Seeking Alpha also says there's still time to jump on the MU bandwagon:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/184...ing-to-rally-again-time-to-join-the-bandwagon

I picked up a little over a thousand shares at the beginning of the year at $6.52, sold some in May at $11.23, but let the rest ride all the way up to $17.65 when I locked in some gains a few weeks ago. Did I lock in too early? Today it's up over $19... :foo:

[​IMG]

Another winner I locked in is VIVUS, Inc. (VVUS). [Disclaimer -- I own VVUS] Bought a couple thousand shares in March of this year at $10.66, rode it up to $14.88 where I locked in in July. It went all the way down to $9.37 earlier this month, so I decided to jump aboard again for the ride. Repurchased all my shares, and am currently up less than 2% but I think it can hit $14 again, at which point I'll (hopefully!) lock in more gains.

[​IMG]

Also like MT which is up almost 17%.

[Disclaimer - I own MT] fwiw.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013