1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, my parent company keeps announcing record quarters (often thanks to my subsidiary :slayer:), but every time they do, the stock takes a huge hit.

Since I don't have options or equity grants (we are far removed from the parent, basically just sharing some IT and payroll services), I don't really care. Bought a couple shares just for fun when I started but it was like a $600 position and has lost $50 as of today), but every time I get an email from the CEO saying how great a day it is for the company that they can announce a new record quarter...I go look to see how far the stock has fallen.

Don't know if it is because the analysts are idiots or because the company gives bad guidance, but it does seem odd that a company that keeps hitting record quarters ends up down over a 3 year period.

2. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

What is the multiple and how fast are you growing?

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Just because you have a record quarter, the expectations for your company may not have lived up what it was forecasted to hit. There are a lot of things that go into pricing a stock.

4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I've gotten smoked in the last week. Fuck.

5. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

me too. had to close out quite a few positions. view on the S&P and dow jones for the rest of 2013? down trend or is this just a correction?

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I'm glad I held off on buying any index ETFs.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on Marathon Oil (MRO) or Halliburton (HAL)? Under-valued?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. danL32

danL32 Member

I was very fortunate in this trade. I bought some September 60 calls the Friday before earnings, and they shot up on Monday. I had a limit order in to sell the calls, and that went through on Monday. Ended up being one of the best 2 day trades of my life... but I can't celebrate at all because had I held through earnings, it would have been a disaster. Thank god for limit orders and taking emotion out of the trade...

The biggest question I have been trying to answer these days is where will REITs/MLP's/ high yielders bottom at. It would be nice to collect fat dividends right now...yet who knows how hard these guys will be hit with bond yields increasing. I'm watching EMB and EPB closely.

8. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

No thoughts on those, but have you looked at Total Energy (TOT.TO)?

9. GreenFrog

Haven't heard of TOT, but it sounds like you have. Do you have shares? What's your thesis?

10. GreenFrog

Haven't heard of TOT, but it sounds like you have. Do you have shares? What's your thesis?

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I own rds.a, same spectrum. It's been shitty for cap gains, by a very nice dividend.

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Sold a nice 1 week 10% gain on recent IPO CVT. Still trimming but taking some pick and pops when they arise.

I think CVT goes higher, but I am skittish of the market at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  13. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Well-Known Member

Anyone else get in on the NVIV bounce today? Grabbed some at .975 and sold 1/3 at 1.41 EOD. Stock down from over $6. Looking forward to tomorrow's action.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  14. jbarwick

I don't trade the momo stocks anymore. Looks like it was super oversold and people were waiting on the sidelines to pile in. Was there some sort of longer term support in the 90s that made it attractive?

15. kayjaybee

Wasn't a MOMO play - chart play for me. Support was at the $1 threshold that everyone was waiting for. Stock continues to move and, IMO, will continue moving north for another day or two. Chart showing a lot of potential.

16. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

What on that chart could possibly have lead you to conclude that there was support at $1?

Good job though.

17. kayjaybee

$1 being a very psychological line and if you pull up an extended chart you'll see that back in late 2011 there was good support around that level. Lots of chatter of folks waiting for it to hit $1 plus indicators on the chart and high volume seemed like capitulation.

Just sold another 1/3...waiting for $2 for the rest. We'll see if it makes it there.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

This may've been addressed earlier, but I would like to put some money into a fairly liquid investment vehicle. For now, I basically want an account I can access during a major emergency but generally will not be able/or willing to pull from for minor cash flow issues. I know above a savings account there are CDs and money markets. Are there other options? If I do a CD I'd likely consider 6-12 months. What's a good way of determining which route to take and choosing from different providers?

PS - I'm also open to investment funds but I understand there's a tax hit when you sell. So I'd likely stay away from that until I'm ready to enter the market. However, if there are some higher interest vehicles that are also fairly liquid I'd be interested in learning from them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  19. jbarwick

Depending on your amount of cash there are some checking accounts where you can earn 3-4% but it is on a max of $25K and you have to use a check card and a couple of other things. But if you want just a set it and forget it....go to something like bankrate.com and look for the highest rates you can get on a generic account. Realize the most you will likely get is around 1%.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Well, there's only a tax hit on gains. The taxes obviously are worth considering when you're trying to compare net returns among different options. But (and of course I'm just making up numbers here) it doesn't make sense to bypass something with an anticipated return of 6% because you'd only net 4% after taxes when your alternative is only paying 2%.