1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

fucked

meg whitman isnt the best operations guy out there. and the whole board is fucked. ray fucknig lane?

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Buying every share in sight that approaches 28 so the price wouldnt tick down below the IPO price.

3. calisanfran

calisanfran Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact number but when the stock got to $38 you could see a Bid of $38 for 9,999,999 shares. That basically was a bid from the underwriters looking to buy any shares that sellers were looking to sell at $38.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Zuckerberg is a genius. He squeezed the bankers on fees probably more than any IPO in history, left absolutely no money on the table with the IPO price, and even got a little more with the banks' backstop. And people wondered why he didnt go the auction route...

5. calisanfran

calisanfran Well-Known Member

Considering the size of the offering a 1.1% commission is actually not bad.

6. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yeah, so much money lost to bankers if the IPOs pop like crazy

7. linds_15

linds_15 Well-Known Member

i would think theyd gain more on their ownership popping

8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

FB way below IPO price premarket - all they really cared about was not seeing it go red the first day. Now they dont give a shit.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:FB

0.00 (0.00%)
    Pre-market: 36.85 -1.38 (-3.61%)
    May 21, 8:33AM EDT

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

There is a price where Facebook would have popped, but $38 wasn't it. Odd that they were so fixated on a very high price going in.

10. Nereis

Nereis Well-Known Member

The only thing propping it up so far are the index fund guys who are forced to buy this thing.

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Actually, this is really the way it should be. The objective of an IPO is to benefit the company, give it working capital, etc. The way the IPO system has worked has only served to benefit the banks and funds. In reality, no well done IPO should ever see a pop of more than a few %. The idea is to INVEST, not FLIP.

I think the expectations of this were so over the top that it will be viewed as a flop. I do think they priced too high, 100b valuation? GTFO... 30 would have been reasonable open. Maybe let it go to 33, but 38 was too high. Now there are a lot of people stuck in.

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

This is a rare example of a place where pie charts are used well (click for full size):
    [​IMG]

15. crispeta

crispeta Well-Known Member

Is it sloppy to not reached out for AAPL eo last week? I mean, no matter what, that stock is probably going to reach the moon before Branson's Virgin Galactic..
    I heard this Apple company is the new Dell and more recently they've started to interrupt Nokia's phone biz, too.. ;)

16. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

LOL @FB

(someone "like" this for good measure)

2 people like this.
  17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think that is a bit one sided even though that is the basic idea. Accurate valuation is fair on both ends, the market does not seem to view this as accurate.

18. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

The goal is to get as much money for the company as possible. Anything more than a single digit pop demonstrates that the shares were undervalued.

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Judging by this result so far, Zuck fucked everyone good.

Was never a fair valuation. He took advantage of the hype and got an insane price. To be honest, I didnt expect this bad a reaction. Its good for the market long term though. This is going to get talked about for years.

20. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

He sure did. He got tons of money for the company. I never understood the triple digit valuation. Maybe 50b, but not over 100.