• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Reaction score
Nice move on those oil stocks; I'm sure you saw some nice returns. I'm actually pretty new to investing (only a couple years out of college) so I don't have too much in yet. Right now I have most of my money in stable bond funds just to pick up steady dividends until I find something else I want to put it in. I need to learn some more macro stuff before I decide what to do... Lots of people talking about another bubble right now.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, worked out well and now they're returning to normalized pricing, so I may do more buying once it shakes off a few more %.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hitachi, but not just yet.

I know it's not a 'hot penny stock' but this one might get interesting.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting into Yahoo (YHOO) if it his $15. Thoughts?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont think very highly of Techs, especially ones with very high competition like Yahoo, I use google and I think google is much much more innovative.

joelmthw

Reaction score
anyone using hedging strategies? im lookin for some new ideas. im currently using the 20 year treasury inverse as a hedge for now

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stimulacra
had some dividends from my blue chip holdings sitting in my account so decided to load up on XPRT and see if anything happens over 2011. Penny stocks represent like <2% of my portfolio but they tend to be the most fun and offer the best stories.

Originally Posted by stimulacra
They're up to $0.33 today.

Hope you got out. The bits and pieces are being vacuumed up.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini flash crash going on this morning. This may provide a good entry point as I think next week stocks should recover.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to hang out, the BP thing took a while to sink in, I think this could be similar. BP started in april, reached its lows in july and the market didnt fully recover until october, about 6 months from start to finish, so if anything I kinda doubt that it goes away in a week, I think i'll start looking at buying around Dow 11,300, the BP crisis sheared 1500 points off the dow from april til july, this may be similar or more since we're at a higher level and stocks arent as depressed as they were considered in early 2010.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
on a side note, S is rockin'

I saw this shoot above $5 and I have to ask why? If they get into bed with T-Mobile you have the distant number 3 phone company getting together with the more distant 4 phone company. Hmmm.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I saw this shoot above $5 and I have to ask why? If they get into bed with T-Mobile you have the distant number 3 phone company getting together with the more distant 4 phone company. Hmmm.
Managing three network technologies (GSM, CDMA, IDEN) would be a tremendous burden on their balance sheet. We already witnessed the mess when S took on the IDEN network - I cannot imagine them cozying up to the GSM network now. This is on top of the loads of cash that Clearwire is burning through. Lose lose situation.

mikeman

Reaction score
Man, market got pummeled, my holdings at least... Have the feeling its going to be a trend for a while...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Man, market got pummeled, my holdings at least... Have the feeling its going to be a trend for a while...
Yeah, I'm still in the black but might just pull out for a while instead of riding this roller coaster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads