1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talk to me about the classic Navy Blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by N8ter, Jun 30, 2013.

1. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I have decided to add this staple to my wardrobe, but I want it to be something that is more leaning toward formal so I can wear it for business when a suit isn't called for, but need to have a jacket. I have looked at and tried a few different options on a thin budget (300 or less) and have purchased two options I am trying to decide between. Neither has patch pockets, but I am ok with that, as again, I don't mind leaning a bit formal.

Please take a look and below and offer some suggestions as to fit and style:

Option 1: JAB Joseph Blazer - I like the fabric better than other option - 100% wool and more texture - more like a hopsack weave. Has pick stitching. Shoulders more pronounced. Bigger in the waist. The back looks kind of a mess around the shoulders and sleeves. Is this a fit issue and can it be fixed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Option 2: BB Fitzgerald Blazer - Fabric is more suit-like - worsted. 98% wool, 2% lastol. More natural shoulder. Would replace brass buttons with MOP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Well-Known Member

Fitz for sure. JAB needs serious blade work and the cut isn't nearly as flattering. How did you score the BB Fitz jacket for $300?

3. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply. BB is having a 30% sale right now on most of their jackets. I am assuming the blade work on the JAB wouldn't be inexpensive or easy to fix?

4. Sam3L

Sam3L Active Member

That Fitz looks 100x better, especially in the shoulder, arm, and back. Not sure if it can be fixed since it's probably a product of internal construction and not just the cut.

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

Why would you replace the brass buttons on a navy blazer? The brass buttons are part of what defines a navy blazer. Without the brass buttons you just have a navy blue worsted wool sport coat. If that's what you want then stop looking at blazers and look at the broader selection of sport coats (solid or pattern).

2 people like this.
  7. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

The BBFitz is much better. Get the sleeves shortened. And never again take a fit photo without your shoes on.

And get your trousers shortened too. They're way too long.

Congrats on scoring the jacket at discount! :D

8. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Plenty of navy blazers have MOP.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

OP, the Fitzgerald looks much better. The JAB does not look nearly as good and even if you can fix some of the issues with alterations, it probably still will not look as good as the Fitzgerald. One thing; I'd avoid mother of pearl buttons. I have a lighter navy linen jacket for summer and they look great on it, but I'd get brown horn on something like this.

10. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Go down a size in each and see how they look. Could be worse, could be better.

11. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I tired a size down in the Fitz and it was too snug across the chest/under the arms. So the size I have on in the pic is the closest fit available in everything I tried. I also am aware of the historical connotations of the brass buttons on a navy blazer, but they just aren't my favorite style. I will, however, replace them with something that contrasts enough to be able to distinguish the jacket as a blazer.

12. rob

rob Well-Known Member

On the front facing shots, the balance is off on both. The lower hem on the viewers right is way lower than the one on the left. That probably has more to do with your shoulders and may be an issue on any jacket you have. The tailors around here should be able to weigh in on how difficult that change is.

Good luck.

Rob

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

MOP are mostly used for very light weight and/or color summer jackets.I have a winter weight cashmere Belvest blazer that has dark horn buttons. It still looks like a blazer.

14. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

One more I am considering as I was looking a bit more as I am not entirely sold on the BB for a few reasons, some of them mentioned earlier in the thread. I am pretty sure I know what the responses will be to this one, but I wanted to solicit thoughts as a good learning opportunity.

Sleeves need to be lengthened a bit. Roll in the back by vent is a shipping artifact that needs to be pressed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Jacket sleeves are fine. The problem is your shirt sleeves are too long.