1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talk about the loudest thunderclap you've ever heard

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Slopho, May 27, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

A storm just rolled through, loud thunder, but not the loudest thunderclap I've ever heard. I remember one when I was about 13 that I swear sounded like a cross between a bomb and a Singapore cane strike.

2. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Well-Known Member

I heard one before, it was pretty loud

3. Andrewc2232

Andrewc2232 Well-Known Member

I was in Sorrento, Italy. Awesome thunderstorm--one thunderclap woke me up at 3AM and I remember my exact thoughts the exact second I heard it: "Oh fuck man fucking Vesuvius we gotta get outta here fuck".

It knocked a glass of water off of my bedside table.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

there was this one time it was so loud it triggered the alarm of several cars in our street

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Standing in a churchyard when lightning struck the steeple. Friggen LOUD.

6. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Let's see. I can't remember which was louder. My car got hit once which was friggin loud. I was in the garage another time and lightning hit the tree about 30 feet away in the yard. That was loud as well. You know you're close when you can feel the electricity in the air and smell the burnt air.

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

My garage got hit by lightning (dad had a HAM radio antenna mounted outside) once and it actually wasnt all that loud. I agree with Crane though, you could smell and feel it, and there was a weird plasma/fog that wafted around the garage for a few minutes.

8. sydneycentric

sydneycentric Well-Known Member

i poo poo'd my panties once?

9. skyman

skyman Well-Known Member

In high school science class, lightening hit a tree about 25 ft from the building, my ears were buzzing and the teacher jumped nearly a foot off the ground. I seriously thought the whole place was falling down (the building was an old disused school my high school took over for a year whilst ours was being rebuilt).

10. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

While laying on the couch along the outer wall of my parents' sunroom as a kid, lightning struck the tree directly on the other side of the wall. Maybe 6 feet away. That one puckered up my butthole for sure.

11. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

i saw a flash and half a second later a thunderclap... shook my house

12. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

While laying on the couch along the outer wall of my parents' sunroom as a kid, lightning struck the tree directly on the other side of the wall. Maybe 6 feet away. That one puckered up my butthole for sure.

permanently puckered? [​IMG]

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Sometimes I clap my hands really loudly and it sounds kinda like a thunderclap.

14. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Well-Known Member

11 years ago lightning hit a tree 3 feet behind me on the golf course. I was immediately knocked unconscious and was sent flying twenty feet through the air. After about 20 seconds I regained consciousness and realized I was still alive. I never heard the thunder and fortunately didn't receive any electrical shock. I went back to the scene the next day and measured the distance from the tree to my footprint then to the area where I landed. I was actually very fortunate to come away with only minor scrapes and some soreness, especially since the tree was pretty well destroyed and I could have been seriously injured from the big pieces of the wood that were lying around. It was a very surreal experience to say the least! [​IMG]

15. chenc

chenc Well-Known Member

once I was driving o highway and one landed right in front of me about 15 ft away nothing happened didn't even hear a sound.

16. Navi

Navi Well-Known Member

During a lacrosse game almost a decade ago there was the most insane storm I've seen for a while. Lightning ended up striking in the middle of the field basically; lost my hearing for a good 20 seconds it was so insanely loud. Could definitely feel and smell it, too. We could see the hole and burnt grass where it struck. Pretty insane.

During the tornado storm in western MA a few weeks ago there was really really loud thunder too. Struck about a mile away and shook the whole house, cant imagine what it would be like if it hit 10 feet away...

17. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

This hit us a few days ago. It lasted about 5 minutes and the hail measured up to 1.5 inches. The eve has a tin roof and it was so loud you couldn't hear someone screaming 10 feet away.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.