1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kazou

Kazou Well-Known Member

It's located on the third floor above Helios. He used to have a shop on the main road but moved up there for bigger space. His name is Mr. Bae and he and his son speak a fair bit of English. As with anything in Korea, come armed with knowledge. The more you tell them what you want, the better you'll be satisfied. (Itaewon exit 2?) walk past the Hard Rock Cafe store and keep going until you pass the light. As for Sfers in Korea? Never met any.

2. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the location. I'm going to try to drop in there next week, and perhaps cart the suit along to see what kind of work they are willing to do on it, if any.

3. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Don't live in Seoul, but I am only a 45-60 min bus ride away.

4. Rada

Rada Well-Known Member

I'm currently living in South Korea and am in the process of getting two three piece suits made. My first fitting is today... the place shall remain nameless until I'm done though hah [​IMG] I agree with the posts here about making sure you let them know what you want. I brought photos, I was explicit about a SLIM fit... anyone who spends a day here would know that the suits are generally made a few sizes too large for some reason. About Itaewon... if you go down the main strip of shops it does seem like a place that is simply there to take advantage of foreigners. I stayed away when it came to my first suits, but we'll see how my choice turns out in a few weeks....

5. jon_blaze

jon_blaze Member

I see what you mean. I've used London Tailors in Itaewon many times for inexpensive suits and have brought most of my co-workers there for their suits. I had a Hugo Boss that was one and a half size too big for a friend. They took it and re fashioned it for him. Work was excellent. I guess if you give them a lot of business, they will do this type of work.

How inexpensive is inexpensive? How about the quality to the cost? I'm looking to pick up a cheaper suit or two for the time being, so I'd like to go armed with more information before I step foot in the store if possible. Also, this being my first post, I must admit this forum is awesome to pick up good info for suits in Korea.

6. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

It has been ages since I have posted here at Style Forum, but I came across this thread in a Google search on "shoe repair Korea" and was pleased to discover that there were so many Korea-knowledgeable menswear enthusiasts here. You may all be of great help to me. I am teaching ESL in Changwon, a city of 1.2 million on the south coast, 45 minutes from Busan. Hence, I will not get to Seoul all that often; Busan is much easier for me to get to, if there are any worthwhile resources there (and I would hope so, since it's a city the size of Los Angeles). I plan to teach in Korea for a number of years, possibly until I hit retirement age and hopefully move to Buenos Aires (which must be a great menswear town!). Right now I'm teaching adults at a private academy, but I expect I will shift to a university job after a year or too. My B.A. is in American Studies from Yale; my master's degrees are in English and education from Boston University. Koreans are very snobby about credentials and these ones are serving me well. Also benefiting me is my habit of dressing well for work every day. Most ESL teachers are young and are slobs, frankly. My boss loves that I am almost always in a jacket and tie (I relax my code a bit on Fridays), and I get enormous respect on the street (including a lot of interest from Korean women). I'm 51 years old, 6'2", 205 lbs., brown-haired shifting to silver, reasonable-looking (and Koreans make me feel that I am a Greek god or something). [​IMG] Although I appreciate that most Korean men dress up for work, the quality of their suits and shoes, at least in Changwon, is not good. It is not strictly a question of cost. I have always lived on a limited budget compared to a lawyer or business executive, but by canny buying and good alterations, I manage to look good. Maybe the men of Seoul do a better job putting themselves together. I do like the first Korean menswear magazine I have found, Luel, which is sort of a Details but probably a little better than that publication. There is also a new Korean TV drama that I enjoy watching, Secret Agent Miss Oh, one of whose stars, Ryu Jin, is wardrobed in a terrifically fashionable way. Since my clothing and shoes matter to me, I do not mind the added cost if I have to ship items for repairs. If there is no trustworthy shoe repair shop in Changwon (and there does not appear to be), I am comfortable with shipping my shoes to Seoul, or back to America, or wherever is most convenient. A decent shoe repair shop, Myung-dong Sa, was mentioned by aleeboy; does anyone have an address? Do they have any employees who can communicate in English? Are there any shirtmakers -- perhaps Hahn's or Savile Row in Seoul? -- who can replace collars and cuffs to precise specifications? If not, I will continue to use Maldonado in San Antonio, Texas, who is excellent. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Just got these made from a little underground shop for about $30 each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Just got another suit commissioned by Hahn. Charcoal pinstripe SB 2B with peak lapels and hacking pockets. Pics soon!

9. panorama

panorama Member

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Will be getting a suit done at Hahns soon. Ryono, where do you buy shoes in Korea, or do you order from outside?

Really like the previous suit you had done at Hahns. What was the cost of that one?

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

stuff

You should probably start a new threak for this, you will get more replies.

11. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Will be getting a suit done at Hahns soon. Ryono, where do you buy shoes in Korea, or do you order from outside?

Really like the previous suit you had done at Hahns. What was the cost of that one?

I brought my shoes from the States (internet). The shoes here are way overpriced and the quality is sub-par. I'm just about done my English teaching here in Korea, so I'm leaving with a bang. I will also get one or two jackets from Hahn as well.

Here's his prices, give or take a few bucks due to fabric and other options:

3 piece suit: 600,000 won
    2 piece suit: 500,000 won
    jacket (wool): 400,000 won
    jacket (linen): 350,000 won
    trousers: 150,000 won
    odd vest: 150,000 won
    shirts: 45,000 won
    Tux: 500,000 won

Hope this helps, good luck!

12. panorama

panorama Member

The shoes here are way overpriced and the quality is sub-par.

Tell me about it! ha ha

13. panorama

panorama Member

It has been ages since I have posted here at Style Forum, but I came across this thread in a Google search on "shoe repair Korea" and was pleased to discover that there were so many Korea-knowledgeable menswear enthusiasts here. You may all be of great help to me.

I am teaching ESL in Changwon, a city of 1.2 million on the south coast, 45 minutes from Busan. Hence, I will not get to Seoul all that often; Busan is much easier for me to get to, if there are any worthwhile resources there (and I would hope so, since it's a city the size of Los Angeles).

I plan to teach in Korea for a number of years, possibly until I hit retirement age and hopefully move to Buenos Aires (which must be a great menswear town!). Right now I'm teaching adults at a private academy, but I expect I will shift to a university job after a year or too. My B.A. is in American Studies from Yale; my master's degrees are in English and education from Boston University. Koreans are very snobby about credentials and these ones are serving me well.

Also benefiting me is my habit of dressing well for work every day. Most ESL teachers are young and are slobs, frankly. My boss loves that I am almost always in a jacket and tie (I relax my code a bit on Fridays), and I get enormous respect on the street (including a lot of interest from Korean women). I'm 51 years old, 6'2", 205 lbs., brown-haired shifting to silver, reasonable-looking (and Koreans make me feel that I am a Greek god or something).

[​IMG]

Although I appreciate that most Korean men dress up for work, the quality of their suits and shoes, at least in Changwon, is not good. It is not strictly a question of cost. I have always lived on a limited budget compared to a lawyer or business executive, but by canny buying and good alterations, I manage to look good. Maybe the men of Seoul do a better job putting themselves together. I do like the first Korean menswear magazine I have found, Luel, which is sort of a Details but probably a little better than that publication. There is also a new Korean TV drama that I enjoy watching, Secret Agent Miss Oh, one of whose stars, Ryu Jin, is wardrobed in a terrifically fashionable way.

Since my clothing and shoes matter to me, I do not mind the added cost if I have to ship items for repairs. If there is no trustworthy shoe repair shop in Changwon (and there does not appear to be), I am comfortable with shipping my shoes to Seoul, or back to America, or wherever is most convenient. A decent shoe repair shop, Myung-dong Sa, was mentioned by aleeboy; does anyone have an address? Do they have any employees who can communicate in English?

Are there any shirtmakers -- perhaps Hahn's or Savile Row in Seoul? -- who can replace collars and cuffs to precise specifications? If not, I will continue to use Maldonado in San Antonio, Texas, who is excellent.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks for the post, you are amazing...

14. jon_blaze

jon_blaze Member

Just got these made from a little underground shop for about $30 each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where is this little shop? They look good.

15. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Where is this little shop? They look good.

It's called Diana's Tailors past TOM TOM'S coffee heading towards the entrance arch of Itaewon. The quality is just okay, but it's good for beater shirts. Its located underground.

16. panorama

panorama Member

Any pics of your new suits Ryoneo?

I just got some shirts made at Hahns and they are decent, will probably get a suit or two when I return from vacation...

17. Rada

Rada Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to leave Korea with 7 or so suits and double the shirts.... I was thinking about getting a few coats made. I don't plan on returning to Korea anytime soon, so I'll leave with all I can. I know coming back to the states and getting a custom/MTM for tripple the price is going to be a culture shock to me [​IMG]

18. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Any pics of your new suits Ryoneo?

I just got some shirts made at Hahns and they are decent, will probably get a suit or two when I return from vacation...

I will be picking them up today. I think that shirts are a dime-a-dozen in Korea. To my knowledge, they are all machine made and about the same price and quality.

19. panorama

panorama Member

yeah, the shirts I got are nothing special but not bad at all, definitely ok for work...

20. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

yeah, the shirts I got are nothing special but not bad at all, definitely ok for work...

Sorry for the late reply. I have been traveling a bit, but now I'm back home in the states. Yes, shirts in Itaewon are like the same everywhere else. But here is some last things that I have picked up from Hahn:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is other stuff from another tailor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]