• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Yeah but is it actually quality with good leather? I've noticed plenty of shoemakers in Korea, just they make utter crap.

I completely agree. I just wasn't sure what you were looking for.

Originally Posted by Alias
I've been on somewhat of an SF hiatus until recently so I just read the rest of the thread. The buying shoes with voucher thing intrigues me, but I seriously don't need any more shoes.

I'll go check out Goshe and Lims. I'm desperate for a decent shirtmaker.

The City Hall tailors sound like they price around the same as the COEX ones. Tailors tend to use the same trimmers and finishers, though, so it's not like there's too much of an apparent quality difference. At that price point it really boils down to style (and how much of the suit's price goes towards paying rent.)

How long does the tailor at Coex take?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 3-4 weeks. I need to pick up a suit from him this weekend, and make two more with some Minnis cloth I bought from AndrewRogers. I'd love to try Segi but my tailor has pretty much perfected my pattern, and I don't want to go through all that again.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Gents,

Just came back from Korea. While there, I went to a place called Domel. It's on a street that has Seoul's most famour tailors, right next to Lotte Department Store. I got four pairs of pants made. They did an absolutely amazing job. Fit is impeccable and well construcuted. Very smooth. I walked in on Friday night. Fitting on Saturday and flew out Monday.

Sensational. Oh yeah... wouldn't recommend the lower priced Itaewon tailors. FWIW, over on this street you'll find the finest LP and EZ cloths and price tags in line with the quality.

Price?

dcdave

Reaction score
I would strongly caution against Paris Tailor. Used them about 4 months ago when I was in Seoul for business and was extremely dissatisfied.

To begin with, they push the fabric upsell pretty hard. I bit, and really regretted having done so; the fabric I was shown was similar to (but not the same as) the fabric from which the suit was made. The fabric was pitched as a high-end English cashmere / wool blend, and the bolts were labelled as such. But when I went for my fitting the fabric they had actually used was labelled differently "Cash/Wool Made From England." Uh . . . . try saying that with a proper British accent (or proper English grammar, for that matter)! When I went to pick it up the fit was not even close - I am average build, with a decent taper from shoulders to waist, but the jacket was (I swear) tailored for a square person. The guys at the shop insisted it fit, and basically demanded that I take it. I refused, and we are still fighting about it. I would not buy a pair of socks from these jokers.

Hahn's up the street is a completely different story. Excellent fabric, no hard sell, and perfectly "suitable" fit.
worship.gif

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I must be marsupialed. Where exactly is Hahn's store located in Itaewon?

stvwrd

Reaction score
All the way West. Past the McDonald's. Past the "Welcome to Itaewon" arch. Just around the corner. If you can find Suji's restaraunt you'll be just about there.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going to korea at the end of the year. what are Hahn tailor rates for sports jackets? Can I bring my own fabric? What's the turn around time?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a suit commissioned by Hahn today. Three piece navy, around 600,000won. First fitting is next week!

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcdave
I would strongly caution against Paris Tailor. Used them about 4 months ago when I was in Seoul for business and was extremely dissatisfied.

To begin with, they push the fabric upsell pretty hard. I bit, and really regretted having done so; the fabric I was shown was similar to (but not the same as) the fabric from which the suit was made. The fabric was pitched as a high-end English cashmere / wool blend, and the bolts were labelled as such. But when I went for my fitting the fabric they had actually used was labelled differently "Cash/Wool Made From England." Uh . . . . try saying that with a proper British accent (or proper English grammar, for that matter)! When I went to pick it up the fit was not even close - I am average build, with a decent taper from shoulders to waist, but the jacket was (I swear) tailored for a square person. The guys at the shop insisted it fit, and basically demanded that I take it. I refused, and we are still fighting about it. I would not buy a pair of socks from these jokers.

Hahn's up the street is a completely different story. Excellent fabric, no hard sell, and perfectly "suitable" fit.
worship.gif

I had my first suits done there (mistake). They don't fit right, and don't know if I can actually fix them. I took them back a few months ago to ask to shorten sleeves and taper the trousers, and they tried to make it seem as if it would be a huge undertaking (it is very simple, I know as I have worked on suits for years myself). After finally getting them to do it for me, I came back on the day they said it'd be done, and of course it wasn't. They also said that I should pay 200k for the alterations, which I laughed at, then they said it must have been a mistake. All in all, I wasted money on two suits last year, but it was a valuable learning experience for me.

These days I'm very happy with Savile Row, which is right next to Hahn's. And I hear plenty of good things about Hahn's too. I've stopped at Savile Row before for no reason other than to talk to the owner. He speaks English very well and is really a pleasure to have a conversation with.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^what fabric? I heard good things about Jae-Il-Mo-Jik's VIP line. What's the pricing like for a 2 piece? 500000?

Boy Named Crow

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to drag this thread from the grave, but I'm wondering about decent alterations tailors in Seoul. I bought a couple of suits from Paris Tailor before I really knew what I was doing when having a suit made. They seemed okay initially, but I've gotten pickier and I want some work done on them. I took the suits back to Paris and they sort of said "but it looks alright to me", so I've given up on them.

I'm looking to have the shoulder padding softened and both the jacket and the trousers taken in a little in a few places -- nothing too complex from what I understand but the alterations tailors nearby only seem to do minor work and don't want to deal with the shoulders. I'll be in Seoul a bit next month, so does anyone have any recommendations?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yo i commissioned a suit from sartoria vanni (they have a place in the 장교 building in between euljiro and euljiro 3 ga) on recommendation from the naver cafe and the gallery thingy posted earlier.

i don't know about alterations, but they've been great with absolutely everything (although they're really conservatively minded). The suit fits spot on and I'd definitely do business with them in teh future. check them out. i'm sure they'll do good by you. (i'm not sure that they speak english tho. if you don't speak korean you might want to bring a friend along)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads