1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

This is how that suit turned out, I am pretty happy with it for being like $325. Super 120's, fully canvassed jacket, full lining, felted under collar, working cuffs. Cut was all of my own specification and I think he did a nice job of translating. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. davidsj

davidsj Well-Known Member

In case you think communication might be problem, go to Savile Row nearby Sejong Art Center in Kwanghwamoon. The tailor said he used to work(or study) in London. The patterns are same as Goshe. There is nothing but address direction on its website with phone number. One more thing: For the same shirt, Savile row is on average 5-10K won cheaper than Goshe thanks to the slightly lower rent. (the tailor told me so.)

I worked in Gwanghwamoon a couple of years ago, and walked past Savile Row but always avoided it. At that time I had no idea Seoul had such sartorial ambitions! Even among the top class businessmen/lawyers I was amazed at how popular black suits and square toed shoes were, and I don't think I ever saw anyone wear a proper sportcoat. Non-black shoes were also very uncommon. Have things really changed as much as this thread indicates in the past 2-3 years?

I'll be back there actually later this summer for work (briefly) so please let me know of any great sales then [​IMG]

3. JMZ

JMZ New Member

Impolyt:

Thanks for those pictures- looks like you're really satisfied with Hahn's.

I'm getting a suit made next week and have been debating whether to go to Hahn's or spend a little more Won and go to a tailor in Sogong-dong. They've quoted me a minimum of KRW 1 million. I know the old adage is "you get what you pay for," but from what I've seen and heard about Hahn's, it seems like great tailoring for the money.

I guess my question is: how satisfied are you with the quality and workmanship of the suit? Were there any specific directions you gave to the tailor as he was making your suit (i.e., how did you describe the type of suit you wanted)? I've heard not to go with shoulder padding. Would you do anything differently if you went back?

Are there any compelling reasons to choose Sogong Dong over Hahn's? I live in Korea, and I'm looking for a basic slim cut business suit, not too fashion trendy.

Thanks for your help! I'll let everyone know how my experience goes.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I'm pretty satisfied with Hahn's. I wouldn't go there for a dream suit, but for 500,000W, I am happy with what I got.

For my suit, I started off with a favorite pair of trousers I already had, and had them knock them off. My main concern with Korean MTM is that their pants are usually of the sky-high rise, wide-leg, half break kind of cut, and no matter how you much you hint, unless you give them some sort of concrete example, they'll just cut their own way, which is ugly.
    They're used to suiting guys who are about 5'5 and 160+ lbs though, so they have a different idea of what silhouette they want.

I used the Jil Sander pants as a base, they're very tapered and long-legged. Super low-rise, side tabs, they make a good suit pant. I told them I wanted a jacket to match, something clean and modern, low button stance, slimmish. He said 'like prada?' and I said "yeah, kind of, with a bit more tailoring.' I was more about details than giving a particular style name. I mainly specified 2 buttons down low, 2 1/4" lapels, longish jacket length, slim arms, working cuffs, felted under collar, a nice natural lapel roll, straight flap pockets, and double vents in the back. A little pickstitch to top it off. Workmanship is good, typical of Korea. It's not Raf Simons, but it's more than good enough for what is a $350 suit.

I went for 2 fittings; I think they'd accomodate as many fittings as you request, but once they've cut fabric, they can't make it any bigger and seem to bitch and moan about taking apart final seams if you don't like what they did, so keep a keen eye on them in the first fitting when nothing is completely together yet and it's just canvas. It's tough to do from eye at this point, but the first fitting for them is where you pretty much specify all the measurements, because at the second fit, the jacket will be mostly together and excess will have been cut. If he goes back at the second fitting to make adjustments, then the jacket won't fit as well, IMHO. That is what happened with my jacket.

I have a pattern now and I like what they made; I will get the jacket less suppressed next time, and adjust the sleeve/shoulderblades/armpit area so they sit nicer. I might ante up for better fabric, but yeah apart from that, I don't see myself going to Sogong-dong myself, since they probably wouldn't give me much more than Hahn's did. I think I could get my next suit in Loro Piana for 1mil, and it'd be pretty much exactly what I want.

The reason Hahn's sells cheaper is because they have a lot of poly blends and crap fabric mixed in with some decent ones, they have a tailor but some sweatshop in the back probably does the sewing, and they turn out lots of crappy suits for tourists/GI's, who don't know what they want and have to have a competitive Itaewon strip price. That said, if you know exactly what you want and are good at choosing MTM, then you can get almost exactly what you want out of Hahn's. They aren't super stylish, but they know how to make a suit and are better than anything else in Itaewon.

5. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Active Member

does anyone mind giving directions to hahn's?

via subway?

6. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Well-Known Member

Suit Pants that don't go down to the top of the sole/covering shoe laces? Whats the reason for those tight pants??

Who else llikes the "drop" from the broad chest to the slim waist? It definitely makes the suit wrinkle when worn...

Sometimes I think if your bespoke suit is too tight, its no different from buying a size to small off the rack. Unskillful tailor?

But if you're happy, then its good for you.

7. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

I went to Hahn's last October and am very happy with it. I'm no suit connoisseur as the only other suit I've owned was a hand me down (25yo and in IT), but I did a decent amount of research on the forum before getting it made. What I did was bring in pictures of Thick as Thieves suits and told them I wanted something similar. I had 1 measurement and 2 fittings. Normally they do 1 and 1 but I was very picky (as we all are on SF) so they suggested an extra fitting. I think I spent 6-7 hours in the store total. At first they were reluctant to make the suit how I wanted but they finalized realized my vision and it turned out well. Come to think of it I don't think I brought the TaT pictures in until the 1st fitting, so they probably didn't know exactly what I wanted after taking my measurements.

As a side note my parents speak Korean so that made it easier to communicate. One of the guys there speaks/understands decent English, but there is still a barrier considering you want precise details in your suit. I also got slacks and a handful of shirts made there. For slacks I had them copy off another pair I had. I did the same for the shirt, bringing in my favorite fitting Band of Outsiders shirt. All in all everything turned out how I wanted. I'm thinking about getting another suit and maybe some more shirts since the won is so cheap. They keep your measurements on file so you can call from the US and they will make you another garmet. I think they also offered to send some fabric samples, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I recommend Hahn's.

8. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Well-Known Member

Sage, you say you've been living in Seoul for 25 years? Do you know of a tailor there named Kim Toni? Would've been around the time that South Korea had the Olympics (1988).

9. JMZ

JMZ New Member

An update:

Although I was previously going to go to Hahn's in Itaewon, on the advice of some Korean friends, I visited the tailor in City Hall (literally in one of the City Hall buildings). I'll went in for my first fitting today and will let everyone know how it went.

Price wise, it was pretty cheap, KRW 470k for a 3 piece (inc. vest), 170s. We'll see how it turns out. My expectations are pretty low- just needed a workhorse suit for work, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

10. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Did anyone hear any good things about NEW YORK TAILOR in Itaewon? I went to about 8 different tailors yesterday and they seem to have the most knowledge out of the other tailors.

11. rlp271

rlp271 Member

An update:

Although I was previously going to go to Hahn's in Itaewon, on the advice of some Korean friends, I visited the tailor in City Hall (literally in one of the City Hall buildings). I'll went in for my first fitting today and will let everyone know how it went.

Price wise, it was pretty cheap, KRW 470k for a 3 piece (inc. vest), 170s. We'll see how it turns out. My expectations are pretty low- just needed a workhorse suit for work, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

170s will not be a workhorse suit. You need something in the 100s-110s range. The high number doesn't necessarily belie any sort of quality. It's just there for show outside of a certain range. If you want a suit that will stand up to a lot, you need something a lot less fragile than that.

12. rlp271

rlp271 Member

Okay, this thread has been dead for a while, but I want to bring back some questions about Korea, and maybe Sage can answer them. They don't have bespoke shoes here, I know that now, but they do have Lobb and Berlutti, which is nice. What I'm really wondering is where to get quality knitwear without the huge markup. I've been looking for a shawl collar cardigan, and the only ones I find are 100% Cashmere Ralph Lauren versions, or the cheaper half wool half acrylic versions from many different retailers. Is it possible to get made-to-measure knitwear here?

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Okay, this thread has been dead for a while, but I want to bring back some questions about Korea, and maybe Sage can answer them. They don't have bespoke shoes here, I know that now, but they do have Lobb and Berlutti, which is nice. What I'm really wondering is where to get quality knitwear without the huge markup. I've been looking for a shawl collar cardigan, and the only ones I find are 100% Cashmere Ralph Lauren versions, or the cheaper half wool half acrylic versions from many different retailers. Is it possible to get made-to-measure knitwear here?

There is one in Itaewon.

14. Lil_Mama

Lil_Mama New Member

I was recently in Seoul and purchased a couple of suits at a place called Steve's. I since have seem to of lost the business card and need to follow up on my order. It was downtown Seoul. Has anyone heard of this place?

15. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

There is one in Itaewon.

Yeah but is it actually quality with good leather? I've noticed plenty of shoemakers in Korea, just they make utter crap.

16. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

Most custom shoes in Korea are in fact total crap. The custom shoemakers cater to the tourists who arrive infatuated with the idea that they can buy luxury goods here on the super-cheap.

Same goes for the tailors around Itaewon, unfortunately. Hahn's is one of the better ones but I've moved onto the one I use at the COEX. Sure, it's twice as much, but the quality is twice as good.

Haven't heard of Steve's.

17. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Most custom shoes in Korea are in fact total crap. The custom shoemakers cater to the tourists who arrive infatuated with the idea that they can buy luxury goods here on the super-cheap.

Same goes for the tailors around Itaewon, unfortunately. Hahn's is one of the better ones but I've moved onto the one I use at the COEX. Sure, it's twice as much, but the quality is twice as good.

Haven't heard of Steve's.

Definitely agree that almost all the tailors in Itaewon are worthless. Hahn's is one of the only good ones there. I like Savile Row. The owner is nice and fun to shoot shit with too since he's been there since after the Korean war. Shirts done just like I want, and I'm satisfied enough with the suits.

If you ask me you should be using the tailors nearby city hall if you can afford it (like recommended earlier in the thread). All the stuff coming from there is pretty amazing.

I'd love for more info on places to get clothes/shoes in Korea. Honestly I end up just importing shoes. Places like Lansmere are amazing to walk around in, but I can't afford it even on sale.

18. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

I've been on somewhat of an SF hiatus until recently so I just read the rest of the thread. The buying shoes with voucher thing intrigues me, but I seriously don't need any more shoes.

I'll go check out Goshe and Lims. I'm desperate for a decent shirtmaker.

The City Hall tailors sound like they price around the same as the COEX ones. Tailors tend to use the same trimmers and finishers, though, so it's not like there's too much of an apparent quality difference. At that price point it really boils down to style (and how much of the suit's price goes towards paying rent.)

19. aleeboy

aleeboy Well-Known Member

Gents,

Just came back from Korea. While there, I went to a place called Domel. It's on a street that has Seoul's most famour tailors, right next to Lotte Department Store. I got four pairs of pants made. They did an absolutely amazing job. Fit is impeccable and well construcuted. Very smooth. I walked in on Friday night. Fitting on Saturday and flew out Monday.

Sensational. Oh yeah... wouldn't recommend the lower priced Itaewon tailors. FWIW, over on this street you'll find the finest LP and EZ cloths and price tags in line with the quality.

20. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Well-Known Member

I've been on somewhat of an SF hiatus until recently so I just read the rest of the thread. The buying shoes with voucher thing intrigues me, but I seriously don't need any more shoes.

I'll go check out Goshe and Lims. I'm desperate for a decent shirtmaker.

The City Hall tailors sound like they price around the same as the COEX ones. Tailors tend to use the same trimmers and finishers, though, so it's not like there's too much of an apparent quality difference. At that price point it really boils down to style (and how much of the suit's price goes towards paying rent.)

definitely go check out Goshe for dress shirts. i've tried numerous makers and found Goshe to be one of the better places here in Seoul.