1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SeoulSurvivor

SeoulSurvivor New Member

Hello Gents,

First time posting. Tried to read through as many posts as I could, but they go back in time some what.
    Since everything in Korea is opening and closing so often wanted to get an idea of what was a good deal now a days.

I saw a premium custom shirt was about 180,000. Can I get a decent custom shirt for about 80? Is there a min. order and where do you recommend I go? I saw some posts about the Hamilton Hotel being the only spot to go, but that was a few years ago.

Also this will be my first MTM Suit. Looking in the 600-700,000 range, I saw Hahn's and Mono Gallery as top picks?
    I'm 180cm, 70kg and athletic. 31/32 waist. Most Korean clothing doesn't fit my shoulders or chest.

Thanks!

2. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Do you want a MTM suit or a bespoke suit?

Shirts can go as low as 60,000 won. Shirts in the Itaewon area are all the same. You can go into just about any shop and they will send it to the same place to get made.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. SeoulSurvivor

SeoulSurvivor New Member

After reading the thread I was under the impression that I would have spend more than W1,000,000 for a true bespoke suit.

Wouldn't a bespoke suit be better than a MTM suit? In that case I would like the best suit I can get for my budget. ^^
    Thank You!

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Bespoke is the process of having a pattern cut out and put together for you. It has nothing to do with construction and material. For example, you can pay top dollar for tons of handwork and rare fabrics or spend less for machine made basic fabrics. So there is decent bespoke for under 1 million won.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. SeoulSurvivor

SeoulSurvivor New Member

Ah, thank you for the knowledge! In that case I'd like to go bespoke. Recommendations?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

i tend to think ... if one does not know the difference between MTM and bespoke and other things related to having a suit made for you, then jumping straight into bespoke is not necessarily the best thing
    i'd take some baby steps and try a MTM to figure out what you really like before dropping the money for a real bespoke commission

7. SeoulSurvivor

SeoulSurvivor New Member

Isn't the duty of a true bespoke tailor be to walk me through the process, guide me on the options? Or do Korean Bespoke tailors just slam customers into the cheapest easiest pattern possible?

Regardless... that was my original plan. As I originally said, "Also this will be my first MTM Suit. Looking in the 600-700,000 range, I saw Hahn's and Mono Gallery as top picks? I'm 180cm, 70kg and athletic. 31/32 waist. Most Korean clothing doesn't fit my shoulders or chest." So hoping you guys can give me a recommendation. Thanks again.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

In theory, yes, but what you want to look like and what a tailor wants you to look like are going to be different. It's probably more about balance...you coming in with an image in mind and then the tailor tempering that with his advice and knowledge. If you aren't too experienced, you'll just end up with a suit that's 100% your tailor and 0% you...and given the tastes of a lot of Korean tailors...even the good ones...that might not be something you want. The best advice I can give you is to bring someone who understands what you want with you...that second eye is really important until you become confident enough that you can resist when/if a tailor tries to push a certain cut/length/feature on you.

I've had been to a couple of places. Solosso in Cheongdam isn't bad...starts at around 900,000 for a suit and they have Scabal fabrics (those will run about 2,800,000). Recently went to Hamilton...one of the lower end tailors...and was pretty happy with their work. 500,000 for a jacket and 200,000 for trousers (2 jackets, 2 trousers, and 1 suit). They definitely like their jackets short and I had to basically shove a 29 inch length down their throat (and one of them was made 28 inches anyway). Hamilton has some cheaper options...I think suits start at around 550,000...but those are only 95% wool.

Getting some linen jackets made at a place near the office, but have had no experience there yet.

9. syss

syss Active Member

I'm new to MTM/bespoke and starting with MTM has been very helpful for me to learn both what I want and how to interact with the tailor to make sure I get it. And MTM is less expensive.

On another note - I've been lurking for quite a while. This thread has been quite helpful so I figured I should contribute some info as well. The owner from Goshe told me they are starting a MTM suit line at Classic 101 (their other store across the street). Limited fabric right now, but it looked nice - Scabal (I think) bolts and Loro Piana books. Starting from high 600's and I got quoted 790 for a suit out of one of the bolts. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but thought I'd share.

10. Claghorn

790 for Loro Piana or Scabal? If so that's the cheapest I've come across in Seoul (and I'll be paying a visit to Classic 101 shortly).

11. XKxRome0ox

better double check what fabric that bolt is

12. syss

syss Active Member

As I said, I think it's Scabal, but I'll double check next time I go by. The Loro Piana was more expensive.

**Edit**
    The fabric bolts are Vitale Barberis Canonico. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme Member

I stopped by Hanh's today and they quoted me for 550,00 for a standard 2btn navy suit. This is using a korean made 130s fabric. I didn't have time for a fitting but i think i'm going to do it and start my first bespoke process next weekend.

14. XKxRome0ox

^ it'll be MTM but a good MTM and a great bargain for what you get

15. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme Member

How do you know that its going to be MTM? Based of price point? Are there some questions that I can ask to identify if a suit is going to be MTM or completely bespoke?

I'm ok with MTM for this first one but in the future I'd like a completely bespoke suit as well.

16. XKxRome0ox

what made you think it was going to be a bespoken suit when you talked to the guys at Hahn's? you need to ask those questions

17. Jim3327

Jim3327 New Member

Hi Guys,
    I just moved to Seoul and really don't know my way around at all, so I'm happy I stumbled across this thread. I'm planning on checking out Savile Row in Itaewon and possibly getting a jacket made. I see a lot of prices here which have me an idea, but can should tell me how much I'm looking for just a jacket and no trousers if I go with relatively average fabric, not Scabal, Zegna, etc(although would be interested to know the cost for that too just out of curiosity ).

TIA

18. Claghorn

A suit made with Scabal fabric starts at around 1.9 million won ($1700).

I've tried a number of tailors. The two I've been to that I've been happiest with are Lussoso outside of Cheongdam Station and Hamilton in Itaewon. I don't think any of the Itaewon tailors carry Scabal fabric books (though I'm sure they could get access to some fabric if necessary).

If you are looking for a suit you are intending on wearing for years to come, you'd probably do well to avoid the Itaewon area tailors, though the difference in construction quality could be offset by being able to shift the savings into better fabrics.

A word of caution: tailors will not tell you if a fabric is a poly blend unless you ask them. There isn't the same stigma against polyester in Korea as there is in the West...and Korea is worse for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  19. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

A jacket in Itaewon will run around 600USD, using the standard Samsung fabric (100% wool).

20. jon619

jon619 New Member

I got a 2 piece charcoal grey suit made at Hahn's Tailor next to Savile Rowe in Itaewon. Price was 600k won ~ or $540. One of the sleeves was a tad longer than the other and it was fixed on the spot. His factory is right up stairs if you want to take a look. I used a Korean lightweight wool, nothing fancy. Hmm... this is only the 2nd or 3rd suit I've ever had, but I think the fit is awesome compared to the suit and blazer I picked up at some tailors in Osan. I think a jacket by itself would cost $400ish.