1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tailoring ties to skinny

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by office drone, May 27, 2007.

1. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

has anyone had a regular tailor do this? if so, could they comment on their experience?

2. office drone

office drone Well-Known Member

OP here! I have not bothered to have my old ties narrowed...I just ended up buying new ones. But around where I live, tailors are charging $20-$25 to narrow ties. From their website, Tie Crafters is charging $19.50 per tie excluding shipping. It might be worth it to send them to Tie Crafters and having it professionally done, imo.

3. IBJanky

IBJanky Well-Known Member

I'm actually thinking of sending some ties into TieCrafters myself to get narrowed. Will post results when i do end up doing it.

myke

4. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

I just dropped off a couple ties at ny local dry cleaner/tailor. She charged $12 per tie. I'll post results when I get them back on Tuesday

5. deandbn

deandbn Well-Known Member

You guys will be sorry when the fashion changes, and it will, sooner than you might think. Rather stick to style than try follow fashion. IMHO.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I had it done a really long time ago by a regular tailor. My cousin with one arm could have done a better job.

7. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I just went through my ties - donated all that were both tired/worn/less than immaculate AND too wide to Goodwill. Put all of those that I liked and are still in good shape but are a bit wide for my current taste up in storage. They'll come back soon enough - probably in just a year or so more.

But I don't vary tie widths by a lot these days. I've settled on a margin of no narrower than 2-3/4" and no wider than 3-1/2" as this is what works best for my build/body type. So we're not talking a lot of difference here.

I have bought a few that were as narrow as 2-1/2" recently but I'm just not 'feelin' the love' for them and they are going up for sale now that the experiment in narrow is over.

The main thing about ties is that various widths will come and go with the fashion - and this isn't ALL bad to a degree - as ties are also fairly fragile and if worn frequently will need to be replaced soon enough. I can't stand a tie that doesn't look 'fresh' so for me they are pretty disposable after 3-4 years of steady wear.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

IMO the super skinny tie (with collars) thing is a fad, but a variation from 2.75-3.5 is a normal range that should be explored depending on what's appropriate for your body shape/width.

4 was the 70's-90's, 2.5 was the 50's-60's and current revival.3.75 is a little dated but still common for classic companies. IMO 3.25 is slim without being skinny and works for most fellas.

9. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

I asked the tailor to slim the ties from 3 inches to 2.75 inches. As a shorter asian gentleman, I need my ties to be around that width. Anything wider just looks ridiculous on me.

10. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Well-Known Member

Search function would have revealed a plethora of threads about tie crafters.

Taking all your ties down to 2.5 is going to look really good -- if you weigh less than 85 lbs. Otherwise it's going to look very fashion forward. Are you 21 years old? Then you might get away with it. Are you normal weight or heavier? Are you an adult? Then it will look like shit.

11. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Well-Known Member

I think this is rediculous, the skinny tie is just a fad but a regular witdh tie will always be a mainstaple in mens fashion. What happens when the skinny tie thing goes out again and you are left with nothing but a altered shell of former greatness.

12. atila

atila Well-Known Member

I've had a few 3.75" ties narrowed to 3.25" and they all look good. My tailor in Rowland Heights does it for $15/tie.

Though now, I rock even the occasional 3.75" tie (only dark colors) when I never would have in the past... you get used to it I guess.

13. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

Pictures as promised. These are a couple cheap Tommy Hilfiger ties that I had just sitting in my closet because they were too wide for my smaller frame. I got them slimmed down from 3 inches to 2.75 inches. My local dry cleaner/tailor charged only $12 per tie. I'm happy with the results!

[​IMG]