1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tailor ruined my suit jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sweetloveheart, Jan 11, 2012.

1. sweetloveheart

sweetloveheart New Member

I took my suit to get tailored to a new tailor and when I picked it up the was a glue stain on the back approximately 2-3 inches below the collar and one inch left of the back seam. They tried to remove it but they only made it worse. Now they want to "save" the jacket by opening the center seam and hiding the hole (now its a hole). My concern is that this sounds like a poor solution, taking in 2 inches... is it even possible, wont it throw off the balance of the jacket? Another problem is, I am pretty sure I will not be able to button it... Has anyone had any similar situations?

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Welcome to Styleforum.
    Photos please? These people should buy you a new jacket or sue them in small claims court (if you have the energy, time & money).

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Better check your tailors liability coverage...

4. joeman

joeman Well-Known Member

demand for a new suit!

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

if he ruined a jacket, i would never ever ask for a suit from his/her shop. Demand them to pay you back for the coat or have them replace it for you.

good luck

6. mandjo

mandjo Well-Known Member

A refund is the best option - or a law suit

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

As far as i remember, the amount owed is not the cost of the item as it was new, or the cost of replacement, but rather the value of the item in it's current state. ie they don't owe you the price of a new suit, just the street value of your old suit.

lawyers correct me if I'm wrong here...

8. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Why are you asking the question?

Surely you have already commenced proceedings for the reimbursement to you of the cost of the garment?

9. abitifatti

abitifatti Member

why the new tailor?

10. aanix

aanix Active Member

I agree. Stand your ground and make sure that if the repairs aren't satisfactory, they pay for the damages !!

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

irrelevant, its been already done. no point in asking him this - i'm sure he learned his lesson

12. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

This is your best option. There's no way he'll actually buy you a new suit.

13. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

Invisible mending or reweaving is what you have to do.

14. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

If it was a new suit that he took to get tailored, then the new cost = replacement cost = amount they are liable for. If someone hits my 7 year old car, I'm not going after then for the cost of the car new, but the depreciated value. But if I buy a new car and get hit driving off the lot, you can be sure I am going after them for the value of a brand new replacement.

15. viator

viator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's correct. If everything worked out perfectly, he'd have a new but altered suit, which is worth less than a NWT unaltered suit.

16. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

Either way, I've had this happen to me both with a suit and a set of aftermarket wheels on a car (suit was new and unworn, wheels were new and the shop was mounting tires). Both times resulted in the stores replacing my ruined goods with new goods.

17. viator

viator Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I suppose you're right that it's different when you take a brand new item to someone to have work done on it.