1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sweet ass ergonomic chairs?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Brian SD, May 16, 2006.

1. drake

drake Well-Known Member

Brian: If you decide to get an Aeron make sure you try sizes B and C. I'm 5'-10" and needed the size C, B was just too uncomfortable.

Also I'v seen Herman Miller sales of about 30% off (last summer in-fact), might want to poke around see if one is coming up.

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I'll post one negative for the Aeron. We had them where I used to work, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I have a history of lower back spasms, and this was, bar none, the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in. Perhaps I just wasn't adjusting it correctly, but I couldn't stand it. Just exacerbated my back problems.

That does sound like an adjustment problem to me, though I do find the Aeron's lumbar support a bit on the clunky side.

Brian, before you buy that local Aeron, make sure the bottom cushion is the right size for you! I know several others have already written that, but I cannot emphasize enough how much the comfort of an Aeron is dependent on getting the right sized bottom cushion.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

That does sound like an adjustment problem to me, though I do find the Aeron's lumbar support a bit on the clunky side.

Brian, before you buy that local Aeron, make sure the bottom cushion is the right size for you! I know several others have already written that, but I cannot emphasize enough how much the comfort of an Aeron is dependent on getting the right sized bottom cushion.

I'll check on that for sure. I probably won't be getting it. $400 is just too much. I'll just poke around for awhile until I can find a good deal.

4. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

bumping this one for my back's sake. Brian, did you end up getting a chair? if so which one?

anyone have other suggestions beyond the Aeron? Steelcase anyone?

-Jeff

5. otterhound

otterhound Well-Known Member

I use a Bodybilt chair. Not cheap, but it made a big difference in forcing me to sit up straight in the chair. It is also infinitely adjustable. I love this chair.

[​IMG]

6. furnituregirl

furnituregirl New Member

Hey there, did you ever find the Contessa for a good price?

I may be able to get my hands on a used one. I know I can get a new one for a great price too if interested! No shipping on the new!

7. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

I have this one at home; can't remember what kind it is but if you are interested I can find the info on it. Got it for pretty cheap at Office Depot. Ignore the clutter; I was more taking a picture of the room than the chair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man is it comfy.

JB

8. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Anyone got the hookups on a Knoll Life chair?

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Hey there, did you ever find the Contessa for a good price?

I may be able to get my hands on a used one. I know I can get a new one for a great price too if interested! No shipping on the new!

No I didn't, I ended up getting a Knoll life chair, used, from someone on Craigs list who didn't want the mesh and wanted to buy a leather one. Cost me $200 only.

10. visionology

No I didn't, I ended up getting a Knoll life chair, used, from someone on Craigs list who didn't want the mesh and wanted to buy a leather one. Cost me $200 only.

Oh man you lucked out, I can't find one less than $500 and w/ shipping nearly $600. There was one on ebay a week and a half ago for $250 but the seller sold all 25 of them to one buyer and I lost out.

11. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Lafer recliners are quite good.

12. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Well-Known Member

13. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

+1 on the swiss ball

14. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

Sweet Ass would be a great name for an ergonomic chair company

[​IMG] Nice. I too clicked on this thread for no reason other than to make a punny joke, but yours was better.

15. TheHoff

TheHoff Well-Known Member

Humanscale Liberty: [​IMG]

16. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Unreal that these chairs are so expensive. I'm trying to find one for under $400 new and it's tough going.

17. visionology

I can't find a decent chair that has a headrest and the options I need. The Humanscale freedom has the headrest but not the tilt lock I need for my herniated neck and back. I have one of those "natural motion" type chairs like the Freedom now and it makes me a mess by the end of the day.

18. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I can't find a decent chair that has a headrest and the options I need. The Humanscale freedom has the headrest but not the tilt lock I need for my herniated neck and back. I have one of those "natural motion" type chairs like the Freedom now and it makes me a mess by the end of the day.

The Teknion Contessa has both an (optional) headrest and a (standard) tilt lock. More comfy for me than the Freedomchair, too.

19. G79

G79 Well-Known Member

Im taking a fancy to the swissball chair ... i might as well just get one given my broken back!

20. visionology

The Teknion Contessa has both an (optional) headrest and a (standard) tilt lock. More comfy for me than the Freedomchair, too.
    Wow, really like that chair and never heard of it before. Wish I could find it cheaper, lowest I can find is around $800 which is quite a bit for me.