1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sweater Time: Highest Quality Sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Oct 14, 2006.

1. rajesh06

rajesh06 Well-Known Member

What do you think of Gran Sasso (Italian) and A. Paine (English) (Hope I spelled those right).
    I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

2. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I have a Saks branded cashmere from a few years ago that became pilly and misshapen within months. The same thing with a Barney's brand cashmere/silk blend that I got last year at the hangar sale.

My local SOF has store-brand cashmere "Made in China" and "Made in Scotland". I'm contemplating sampling the Scottish cashmere. Which is yours? Does anyone know who makes Saks' Scottish cashmere sweaters?

3. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

My Saks-branded made-in-England cashmere pilled pretty quickly and badly. However, one from Barneys made in China is holding up fine with minimal pilling so far. [​IMG]

--Andre

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

What do you think of A. Paine .
    I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

These make up the bulk of my collection...

Avon Celli
    Cucinelli
    Aida Barni
    Loro Piana
    Borrelli
    Kiton
    Della Ciana
    Barbera
    Agnona/Zegna Cashmere
    Malo
    Berk
    Ballantyne
    Lyle & Scott
    John Smedley

This is a great list and I might add Tse to it.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

This is a great list and I might add Tse to it.

TSE is made in China, which is not a good thing.

7. richstyle

richstyle Well-Known Member

I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

N. Peal. Cary Grant loved them, mostly their cardigans, until he got turned on my Avon Celli and other brands.

8. misterjase

misterjase Well-Known Member

Who are the well regarded high quality British makers out there at the moment so far as cashmere sweaters are concerned?

9. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

Peter Scott is pretty good in my opinion. The ones I have are a mixture of angora and lambswool, incredibly warm.
    Actually good quality merino wool sweaters are what I wear most of the time. Cashmere does feel more luxurious though.

10. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Well-Known Member

Piacenza does a good job. Maybe not the highest quality, but good enough for me.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Loro Piana, Cucinelli and Piacenza are my favorites for cashmere. I also have a Les Copains cashmere sweater which easily rivals these brands. J Crew and Pringle are my go-to brands for merino sweaters

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I can get a reasonable deal on Pringle cashmere sweaters, so have a few of those - they're pretty good - soft, warm and they don't pill. Not the finest cashmere in the world, but certainly good and not too expensive either.

Loro Piana cashmere is very lush and I like it but carries a hefty price tag, even at discount. Good though. Ballantyne are very cool too.

13. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the current Ballantyne sweaters are mixed. Ballantyne once was perhaps the best of the Scottish cashmere houses, but I am suspicious of some of the new stuff.

Hawick Cashmere is still making excellent cashmere sweaters -- including some of those at Knize and Ben Silver. I had a Pringle scarf about ten years ago which was excellent, rather better than the Johnstons scarf I replaced it with.

I have never seen Peter Scott knitwear in person.

William Lockie also appears to be doing respectable work.

14. kaxixi

kaxixi Well-Known Member

I don't know how good they are but I saw some nice silk/cashmere blend sweaters in Banana Republic for around $70 I think. Good color selection.
    I also have two of these (they cleared them out for $15 at the end of the season). Nice cut, great colors, shed (pill is the word?) like it's going out of style. I'd never owned a silk/cash sweater before, and I really like these.

15. misterjase

misterjase Well-Known Member

For timeless style as well as highest quality, stick with Pringle or Ballantyne. Fine Scottish cashmere beats Italian and all others.
    it seems that Ballantyne has been owned by the Italians since 2004, but the sweaters are still produced in Scotland (as far as I know).

16. cantona

cantona Well-Known Member

Aran sweater are my favourite. I have one being made as we speak from wool that was milled in New Lanark using traditional methods. The wool has flecks of silk throughout. I am lucky as my grandmother is a tailor, retired now, so I am able to just by the materials and she makes them for me.

Cantona

17. merkur

merkur Well-Known Member

18. doink

doink Well-Known Member

Aran sweater are my favourite.
    +1,

my mother hand knits mine for me from hand spun merino.

19. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

Dale of Norway for ski sweaters
    +1
    Really great (and heavy)

20. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

I just bought a couple Shetland sweater vests from Shetland Collection. They seem to be the perfect accompaniment for Shetland jackets. Hand knit in the Shetland Islands for a very reasonable price. They're at the other end of the knitwear spectrum from cashmere though.