• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D SATURDAY CHALLENGE 11.15.2013: SOWING DISCORD

THE CLASH OF THE MIGHTY

• Diniro

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • thomaspaine

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • RegisDB9

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • nicelynice

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • NOBD

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Lionheart Biker

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dorje

• Parker

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • ghdvfddzgzdzg

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Conceptual 4est

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • FlyingMonkey

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Notwithit

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Kindofyoung

• STANLEYVANBUREN

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • LA Guy

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Teger

• thatoneguy

Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bortelli

Reaction score
If you ask anyone from SWD, they are going to say only plebes and fashionistas care about brands. A.K.A brand whoring.

I still don't quite understand what you are asking, is it because you constantly see common projects that it is starting to piss you off?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask:

Why does SWD put so much emphasis on brands? In this thread, I've seen mention of "brand clashing" (or something along those lines). Are there certain brands that aren't worn together, or is it that the styles those brands embody generally don't work well together (and if so, why not just refer to the style? Is it that the style is so individualized to the brand?). I've also noticed in WAYWT thread, y'all consistently post the brands of the stuff you guys wear (after someone mentioned the fabrics used, another poster stated that fabrics without the brands were useless...though I suspect that he was being tongue in cheek). My guess is that it has something to do with the massive variety of styles get posted on this side of the forum (while CM basically only has 2 families)

Different brands generally have different overall aesthetics. Of course there are groups of designers that tend to get worn together. Brands also help less obsessive people identify the item so they can buy/investigate further. Some things are recognizable without ID for a lot of posters much like a certain pagoda shoulder in CM or whatever.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a hard time believing anyone here on SF who claims not to care about brands. furthermore, what is wrong about caring about brands, especially the ones that make clothing that you enjoy. the answer of course, is nothing.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you ask anyone from SWD, they are going to say only plebes and fashionistas care about brands. A.K.A brand whoring.

I still don't quite understand what you are asking, is it because you constantly see common projects that it is starting to piss you off?
No anger from me. I don't even know what common projects are (expensive sneakers, right?). Generally, I go through WAYWT and pin what I like without paying attention to the brands. It isn't something I'd ever wear, so I don't need to worry about knowing what to buy.

Just curious about the pattern. Went through the last 10 fits on WAYWT, and 8 of them included the brands being worn, so that seems to be the norm.

Different brands generally have different overall aesthetics. Of course there are groups of designers that tend to get worn together. Brands also help less obsessive people identify the item so they can buy/investigate further. Some things are recognizable without ID for a lot of posters much like a certain pagoda shoulder in CM or whatever.
I figured it may have something to do with this. Also, I'm willing to bet a lot of brands are a lot less interchangeable than CM brands.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a lot of people end up being curious. I used to never post brands, but got so many PM's and comments that I started doing it. I wouldn't say that anyone in SW&D cares about the brands, it's more that you gravitate, when purchasing, towards brands you like because they produce things you like. It's actually a really good question for this thread, based on the discussion about the interpretation of this week's challenge. For example, a lot of Margiela, which went from deconstructed/reinterpreted menswear to, I don't know, Miami Vice cosplay, goes really well with some of the more artisanal 'arte povera' and goth brands (as long as styled well). I thin a lot of people have a "look" in mind, maybe moreso than the CM crowd (pure conjecture), and knowing which brands might make a product you actually like is often useful. So, it's not brands for the sake of the brands, but rather brands for the sake of the look. Does that sound right?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. it does. :)

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alright. Ahem. My attempt at discord without being too CM about it. Severely limited by wardrobe constraints. And the fact that it is sprinkling today.

So I figure there are two elements of discord here. One is the red and wheat pocket square against an outfit that is all blue (except the shoes, which were black derbies from AE). The other is the shirt, which clearly isn't something that is intended to go with an odd coat and wool trousers.

I really had to struggle with my options to figure out how to approach this from a SWD standpoint rather than an CM. Ignoring rules in favor of aesthetics. I noticed a lot of fits that I like on this side are monochromatic, so I figured I'd try and do the same thing. Most of them tend to be gray or black, and while I could have put together something in gray, I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been in it. Blue just feels a bit more "me," so I went with that.

Blue trousers with a blue jacket are generally a big no-no on the other side, but that's (I hope) an objection based tradition rather than aesthetics. So I ignored that stodgy voice in my head and went with something that hopefully came together decently.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yep, I list brands so people don't always ask 'where's that from?'. I care about brands when I buy because: a. brands usually produce pieces within an aesthetic that work well together, b. i know my sizing in those brands already, which makes buying cheap online easier, c. i care about the story behind brands and production, and when i'm familiar with a brand i have a better grasp on this things.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clags my dude, i see no discord there buddy, just a fit that has some quirks, for better or worse. also, an SWD fit with no shoes is like, no way man. no h8.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
My simple contribution : Beachwear 5Zip

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
clags my dude, i see no discord there buddy, just a fit that has some quirks, for better or worse. also, an SWD fit with no shoes is like, no way man. no h8.

Alright, I'll take a picture with shoes, but I'm out and about, so they'll be cellphone quality.

What does one mean by discord? Linen in winter is pretty discordy. a very fashion forward shirt (or at least, fashion forward by my standards) with strong CM elements. a pocket square which clashes with the monochromatic aspect of everything else. All this seems like discord (I realize that discord is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and if one sees none, there is zero point in intellectualizing it).

Edit: Alright, I see a lot of discord with Regis' fit ^_^.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alright, I'll take a picture with shoes, but I'm out and about, so they'll be cellphone quality.
What does one mean by discord? Linen in winter is pretty discordy. a very fashion forward shirt (or at least, fashion forward by my standards) with strong CM elements. a pocket square which clashes with the monochromatic aspect of everything else. All this seems like discord (I realize that discord is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and if one sees none, there is zero point in intellectualizing it).
Edit: Alright, I see a lot of discord with Regis' fit ^_^.

i mean, that when one, at least me, looks at your fit, the first thought is not, "whoa! thats a crazy discordant look, but it looks so cool!" instead, it was like, "um, that stuff all looks likes it was aimed for the same look, its just might no go together so well." also, i dont think unseasonal clothing would be called discordant, imho. (again, no h8) either way, kudas for trying, i didnt have the balls to try it.

i think doing a discordant look is much harder within the general confines of MC, than within the general confines of SWD. and i think a truly well executed discordant MC look, would effectively turn into an SWD look.

cellphone quality is a-ok! hell, in SWD its almost de-riguer (sp?).

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, so the discord in thomaspaine's outfit is that it looks like MC Casual from the waist up and....I don't know what to call it....gymninja from the waist down?

Edit: Teger answered my question as I posted it.

So, if I had worn a linen jacket, knit tie, and shorts (I do have some PoW shorts that look like they are from trousers), that would've been discordant? That just feels a bit #menswear.

I'm not a big LR fan, but would this be discordant then?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics