• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone here tried the Panasonic G6? Have been using the Sony RX100 for the last year and it's cool but I realized I prefer the form factor of a mini-SLR to take pics when traveling. In other daily situations, as nn mentioned, the iphone will do

sikeee

Reaction score

Predator Lagoon

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Sony Nex users:

I'm looking to get a new lens as a step up from the kit 16-50mm lens. I was looking at the pancake lenses (either 16mm or 20mm) but reviews say that they're really only useful as a compact lens that allows you to put the camera in your pocket and that the image quality is not the best. If I need a camera in my pocket I have an Iphone5 that is just fine most of the time.

Now I'm considering the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 lens. It's cheap, it's got a useful focal length for the shots I like to take, and the reviews are pretty good for it.

Are there other lenses I should consider? I mostly shoot while walking around the city (I live in Detroit so I shoot a lot of decay and wild dog packs), but I'll do snapshots (camping, fishing, hunting, parties, vacations) too. I can't say I shoot things that require a specific focal length, but I learned to shoot with my dad's 35mm camera with a 35mm lens, so that's kinda how I continue to get the shots I like most. When using the kit lens I usually keep it at 16mm. I've rarely used the zoom.

I don't want to spend too much money on a lens if I can help it.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Sigma 30, and it is just as sharp as they say it is. I have heard good things about the 19, as well, but I never made the jump as I have the 16. The 16mm is definitely not worth the money, mine came with the NEX-3 along with the 18-55.

Sell the 16-50, get the Sigma 19, and pick up a 50 of some sort. I have a Pentax PK-mount 50 f/2 that I have used for a good while, and I just picked up a Canon FD-mount 50 f/1.4, The Pentax was ~$35 (~$45 with the adapter) and the Canon was ~$60 (~$70 with the adapter). Your kit may be less flexible, but in the end I think that you will become a better photographer. Manual focus is super-easy with focus peaking on the NEX models, and the wider maximum aperture will give you more control over your images. Also, you should come out ahead after selling the 16-50.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to find inspiration to take more pictures again. I want to do more film, really want a hasselblad.or a Widelux!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads