1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suspenders

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kreativeretard, Jun 27, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Also, need I point out that these suspenders are worn with jeans?? If there are people that dig that stuff, I'm glad they enjoy it, but for me it just doesn't make any sense at all.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

When I was in high school I worked at a garden center. My boss looked like Dr. Robotnik. Basically an egg with legs. He worse suspenders with jeans daily, still does I believe. Sometimes it is the only thing that will hold up your drawers. This man pictured above has no excuses.

3. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

I agree to not wearing suspenders with jeans but to this whole coordinating process,,,,,,How do you coordinate your suspenders?

Im sure we all have enough sense to put something together that looks nice but what is the general idea when deciding what pair of suspenders to wear with what pants, shirt and tie or bow tie...

4. patrickBOOTH

Well, like I said and so have others. Since nobody should ever see them besides you it doesn't really matter what they look like. Just get charcoal, or mid grey ones so they go with everything.

5. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

I mean well that can be applied to socks as well. No one is really going to see them but it still matters what color they are in relation to the rest of your outfit but I understand buying a pair of charocal or mid grey ones so they can be worn with everything.

6. patrickBOOTH

I wholeheartedly disagree with the sock comparison.

7. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

Care to explain why please?

8. patrickBOOTH

People see socks. A lot actually. I sit at a desk for work and the single most commented item in my wardrobe is probably my socks. They just show a lot. Literally nobody knows that I wear suspenders.

9. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

10. unbelragazzo

+1. Perhaps the best comparison is to the lining of your jacket. Very rarely seen. Really doesn't matter too much what color it is. Some people like to choose red linings or something crazy so that when it flashes it looks special. Or something. Idk, I'm not one of those people. But in any case, you don't think about the color of your jacket lining when putting together the day's outfit.

11. unbelragazzo

In this case, there's another option which is to eschew jeans entirely. But I get your point.

12. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

Perfect opportunity to wear a three piece, TBH

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Not to start a shitstorm, but I think this rule no longer applies to most of us. I'm sure that in some business environments and/or high social classes this is still the norm, but I think that most men these days -- even stylish ones -- remove their jackets occasionally, and without scandal, in public. It's going depend largely on the circumstance.

+1 Navy and Burgundy are also excellent choices. I have suspenders in many colors, but the ones in Navy get far more use than any of the others, with the Burgundy running in second place.

14. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

I actually like the idea of no one seeing your suspenders except for myself or if they are seen its not done on purpose. A simple arm swing or turn may expose them.
    The entire "flashy in public" look or the "showoff every aspect of my outfit" look is not for me. Its a little immature too in my opinion.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

+1. Even though I'm not a fan of wearing braces without a jacket, no one would say anything if I did. Of course, you shouldn't head for work with a shirt, slacks, tie and braces with no jacket, but at most places there should be no problem if you have to remove your jacket and your suspenders can be seen for a while.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  16. kreativeretard

kreativeretard Member

Quote:I can agree with taking off your jacket while at your desk at work or maybe somewhere sitting where you just may get hot. I do see how it can largely depend on the circumstance though. I like the hidden suspenders concept though.

17. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

I have no idea what you mean.

[​IMG]

Agreed. For some reason, I feel naked going to work without a jacket, but I have no qualms about removing it once I arrive. Go figure.

18. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

I would never endorse it without a coat/waistcoat covering it.
    Only the sight of sock suspenders can be a bigger downer than a flash of a suspender, nowadays at least.

19. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

20. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Many young people will actually refuse to wear suspenders because they think they'd look like this:

[​IMG]

But this young fellow wearing suspenders doesn't look like that at all:

[​IMG]

Now, I wouldn't walk like that out in the street, or if I was at the church on a wedding, but I see no problem in doing it while I am at work (it's very hot in there). Do I have to say no to the extreme comfort it is to wear a pair of braces, just because I am going to take my jacket off at the office? I don't think so...