1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sure, she gets a ring, but what do I get?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Apr 7, 2006.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Question for you all: my gf says that she feels she should be me something for our engagement (hasn't happened yet so hold the applause that I am sure you are dying to give [​IMG] ). My first reaction was Shoes, of course. Then I thought that maybe a pocket watch would be nice.

So if your fiancee were to buy you an egagement gift what would you like? My only guidelines are that it would be under $1000 (probably more like $500) and that it would be clothing, shoes, accessories, etc. (i.e. no booze or car stuff or electronics, etc.).

Let 'er rip.

bob

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Sixteen years ago I got a pair of Edward Green mink suede Malverns.[​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I would suggest something more permanent as a remembrance of the event such as cufflinks. Tiffany has some appropriate options starting at around $100.

4. new obsession

new obsession Well-Known Member

No gift for my engagement. Wedding gift was Breitling Wings Automatic. My advice, skip the engagement gift and hold out for a Patek.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

6. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I think an antique pocket watch would be a great gift. It's special, it's "jewelry," and it is far less likely to wear out than a suit or shoes. And it is less likely to be lost than cufflinks.

I didn't get an engagement gift (other than my wife). But my father bought me a pocket watch for my 18th birthday. It gets infrequent use, but it's in fantastic shape, is beautiful, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what you're looking at. Mine is an Elgin opera watch, white gold, 17 Jewel, size 12, with art deco arabic numerals. A little like this, but different numbers:

[​IMG]

7. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

I would suggest something more permanent as a remembrance of the event such as cufflinks. Tiffany has some appropriate options starting at around $100.

I agree with this advice, both that the gift should be more permanent and the cufflinks suggestion.

I myself did not receive an engagement gift, but I did receive a wedding gift. An Omega Speedmaster Chronograph, which I will always have unless I choose to pass it on to my son, assuming I have one someday.

8. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Some consider the gifting of timepieces inappropriate for weddings as they imply impermanence.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Some consider the gifting of timepieces inappropriate for weddings as they imply impermanence.

In Chinese tradition, giving a timepiece as a gift is strictly verboten. It is seen as a sign of great disrespect, Patek or otherwise. Shoes are generally a no-no as well, although there are not the same connotations, just the typical Chinese (or maybe it's just Cantonese) superstitions vis a vis unfortunate puns. Seriously.

10. new obsession

In Chinese tradition, giving a timepiece as a gift is strictly verboten. It is seen as a sign of great disrespect, Patek or otherwise.

Interesting, given the fact that I recently witnessed an engagement ceremony in Taiwan, I believe it was a tea cake something or other (forgive my ignorance) where among the gifts given to the prospecitve groom by the bride's parents was a watch (brand un-important, but high end). Should we take that to mean that they harbor ill will toward the marriage? Seriously, no joke, I am curious. (One of the alternatives being, of course, that they pay less attention to Chinese symbolism than I do.)

At any rate, it seems there are several of us whose wives meant us great disrespect on the day of our wedding. Or at least great Chinese disrespect. [​IMG]

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Might be the perfect occassion to break out the:

MY G/F GOT
    A 5 CARAT RING
    AND ALL I GOT
    WAS THIS LOUSY
    T-SHIRT

(Sorry guys, it is finally spring on the Plains and I'm celebratory.)

12. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I hate it when my wife Chinese disrespects me.

13. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I hate it when my wife Chinese disrespects me.
    I wish mine would start! My wife clearly is far too respectful. [​IMG]

14. new obsession

Is anyone else having visions of Lucy Liu in Payback?[​IMG]

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Interesting, given the fact that I recently witnessed an engagement ceremony in Taiwan, I believe it was a tea cake something or other (forgive my ignorance) where among the gifts given to the prospecitve groom by the bride's parents was a watch (brand un-important, but high end). Should we take that to mean that they harbor ill will toward the marriage? Seriously, no joke, I am curious. (One of the alternatives being, of course, that they pay less attention to Chinese symbolism than I do.)

At any rate, it seems there are several of us whose wives meant us great disrespect on the day of our wedding. Or at least great Chinese disrespect. [​IMG]

It's an old school thing, and maybe strictly limited to the Cantonese - I really don't know. I do know that the bride's parents are supposed to pack a bag for the prospecitve husband though, including a suit, in Taiwanese tradition. My brother's wife is Taiwanese, and asked him and his fiancee at the time to choose the suit with the instructions "just get something he likes", and I know that he toyed briefly with the idea of hitting them up with a big dollars item, but thought better of it - especially since their wedding gift from his in-laws was a condo in downtown Toronto.

Edit: I think I gave them a book.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I got a platinum Jaeger le Coultre wristwatch.

17. new obsession

It's an old school thing, and maybe strictly limited to the Cantonese - I really don't know. I do know that the bride's parents are supposed to pack a bag for the prospecitve husband though, including a suit, in Taiwanese tradition. My brother's wife is Taiwanese, and asked him and his fiancee at the time to choose the suit with the instructions "just get something he likes", and I know that he toyed briefly with the idea of hitting them up with a big dollars item, but thought better of it - especially since their wedding gift from his in-laws was a condo in downtown Toronto.

Edit: I think I gave them a book.

Apropos of nothing - In the interest of full disclosure, my witnessing of the previously mentioned ceremony was via DVD video of it, and came without commentary. One interesting thing I saw was a large exchange of gifts between several of the parties, all of which seemed to come in the same colored boxes, and included, for the prospective groom, the aforementioned watch, cufflinks, a tie, and other items. I had the impression that they had come from the same store, either a jewelry store (excluding the tie), or some sort of store that sell items specifically for this purpose. Perhaps this offering included a suit, I am not sure, but I doubt it, because the proportions necessary for a suit would have blown the mind of the average Taiwanese tailor, and I sincerely doubt they are stocked OTR. Think NFL offensive lineman, or small Sumo wrestler.

-Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!!

18. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

I got a platinum Jaeger le Coultre wristwatch.

While I appreciate the watch itself, note the "less than $1000" criterion I stated. Sorry Matt, I don't know you from Adam, but this strikes me as purely bragging. Can't you simply say "I received a very nice watch"?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think in the end I will go with the pocket watch. I have always liked them (and own two already) and it will be something I can wear often and always be reminded of her.

bob

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having visions of Lucy Liu in Payback?[​IMG]

That movie is way underrated.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

While I appreciate the watch itself, note the "less than $1000" criterion I stated. Sorry Matt, I don't know you from Adam, but this strikes me as purely bragging. Can't you simply say "I received a very nice watch"?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think in the end I will go with the pocket watch. I have always liked them (and own two already) and it will be something I can wear often and always be reminded of her.

bob

Sorry, I didn't read the initial post, and it didn't cost her a thing as it was a family heirloom of hers.

I personally think that the best gift that you get is a wife. Other than that, I wouldn't rally know what to ask for.

I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Matt