1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Willie5566, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

Okay, I dont know much about supplements, so bare with me. However, I was wondering why take creatine if all it does is hold water? Once a person is off of it,wont the muscles kind of deflate? I know that sounds dumb... any help would be awesome.

2. dantem

dantem New Member

I take glutamine, creatine and a good protein powder

3. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Okay, I dont know much about supplements, so bare with me. However, I was wondering why take creatine if all it does is hold water? Once a person is off of it,wont the muscles kind of deflate? I know that sounds dumb... any help would be awesome.

It also increases strength.

4. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Well-Known Member

2 multivitamins- 1 morning pill, 1 night drink
    fish oil
    royal jelly
    bee pollen
    cassein
    cytomax
    potassium
    fish oil
    wheat germ

I've found these to be very helpful in my triathlon training. I've put on a considerable amount of muscle and raised my conditioning a lot in just the last few months.

5. john55

john55 New Member

I have been using Whey for past two years.I am getting the desire results and I am using the Whey Isolate and have already used the pure Whey.I think Isolate is much better than the pure whey in terms of results.

6. Z_Cavaricci

Z_Cavaricci Member

Over the last 3 months I have been taking Methylcobalamin ( vitamin b12).
    1000 mcg per tablet. Tastes like cherry, take 2 every morning gives me that boost of energy.

Once you get into your 30's, no matter how much exercise I do. Its nice to have a few enhancers along the way.

Picked it up at Vitamin Shoppe.

7. djlukin

djlukin Well-Known Member

Multivitamin: Controlled Labs Orange TRIad- a little pricey ($25 for 45 days depending on where you get it), but combines multi, joint supplement, immune, flex, digestive complexes. Must have.

Fish oil: I just use cheap supplements brand fish oil (bodybuilding.com) and take it with multivitamin after breakfast and dinner.

Pre-workout: Although these aren't necessary, I love superpump MAX. It is better than jack3d, better than SP250, better than Controlled Labs White Flood, better than 1 M.R.

BCAA: USP labs ModernBCAA, although I enjoyed Scivation Xtend as well

I don't typically use protein powders- I prefer whole foods (protein+carbs+fat, not shady protein isolates) after a workout. I have tried USP labs OxyElitePro fat burner. It is very potent, but the sideaffects (heart racing, restlessness, ED) weren't for me.

8. alecx

alecx New Member

9. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Well-Known Member

ON Whey and Casein, Orange Triad multi, NOW fish oil. I also take 5-htp and ginkgo biloba. For preworkout I've been taking Animal Rage but I'm going to switch to Ultima and caffeine pills.

I'm also going to be starting a test boosting stack for a couple months. Activate Xtreme to raise free test. Triazole to boost total test and lower estrogen. And Lean Xtreme to control cortisol levels. It's a lot of shit but I've put on about 25lbs of pretty solid mass in the last three months and I want to keep that going.

10. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Well-Known Member

Double post. But I forgot BCAA's and creatine.

11. mcnealy

mcnealy Member

I'm on quite a few things, actually.

Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men multivitamin
    Vitamin E
    Zinc
    Fish Oil
    Animal Cuts

that's about 15 pills in total :O

12. ribkin

ribkin Well-Known Member

200mg caffeine pre-workout ( at least 45 minutes ), be very careful with cardio... pay attention to your breathing, heart-rate

Fish Oil & Multi-vitamin if I remember to take them

13. afc345

afc345 Well-Known Member

Just got back to taking Jack3d pre-workout. Really helps during finals preparations as I'm into now, amazing energy during the workout and better focus during reading as well. Only downside is getting a bit sleepy and weary throughout the evening.

14. Proverb

Proverb Member

The main purpose of creatine is to allow yourself to push a little bit further, it's basically a supplier of energy to your muscles. Many (most) of the creatine supplements leads to water retention and this will make you look more massive when you're on it. When you use it for an extended period of time and then stop, you'll keep your strength but lose some mass. Your question is not dumb at all.

Also I've found that kre-alkalyn prevents my body from retaining as much water as basic monohydrat, but I perform better when using the latter.

15. Giocatore4

Giocatore4 New Member

To be truthful, the excess water is intracellular...so it's not sitting outside your muscles like a waterbed. 95% of people that I have trained that have complained about bloating on creatine are not bloating from the creatine, but other dietary factors/supplements (like dextrose with the creatine right after working out).

Creatine works as such: For anaerobic work, there are two ways that muscles get energy, but both come from ATP. For very short bursts of energy, like that needed for a single maximum lift, ATP sheds a phosphate molecule, which releases energy in the muscle cell. ATP is stored in muscle cells, and under all-out effort, all muscular ATP can be depleted very quickly.

Creatine phosphate, which is also stored in the muscles, can replenish ATP by "donating" a phosphate molecule to depleted ATP, aka ADP. Once the ATP is replenished, it's able to go back to work again by releasing another phosphate molecule and a burst of energy. So, consider it like the "take a penny" tray at the gas station. It doesn't supersaturate your muscle for some water related reason that I've heard talked about in gyms. It simply provides an energy source to your muscles allowing you to continue intense workouts to break down your muscles (that build themselves up through rest and diet).

Going off of creatine won't "deflate" you, you may shed a pound or two, but you won't lose your gains as long as you continue to work out semi-regularly. Generally speaking from my experiences, the people that complain about deflating when off of creatine also stop working out when they go off creatine... then when the get motivated again and get back in the gym they start taking it again and get bigger...

16. Rothstein

Rothstein Member

I've been collecting supplements for when I start seriously getting into fitness in a few weeks. Here is what I have to start with:

BSN Syntha-6 and Lean Dessert Protein
    -1 scoop of Syntha-6 and 1/2 scoop dessert protein in the morning with 8oz organic chocolate milk and 5mg:
    Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Powder

I've also got Scivation Xtend for workouts, a tub each of watermelon and blue raspberry

Iron Man Perform Lemon-Lime for when I'm finished with my workout, or doing a long hike
    GNC Men's Sport multivitamin (will only take one instead of 2)

For some reason, when I ordered one tub of chocolate fudge BSN Lean Dessert Protein, I ended up with five tubs at the cost of one: three chocolate fudge, one vanilla whipped cream, and one cinnamon roll.

Thinking of getting some fish oil, but don't want to get Wal-Mart level crap. Any suggestions? Thank you.

-John

17. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

For Depression

2000 mg of Vitamin C
    4000 mg of B3 (Flush varation)
    2 standard multivitamin
    Fish oil- 5000mg of Fish Oil
    800-1200 mg of magnesium<<< Will cause loose stools
    2-3 tablets of Traders Joes Vitamin B-Complex 100mg
    900mg of SJW

-----

Will be adding spirulina and chlorella, while slow decreasing the supplements above.

18. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I got some of this ON Serious Mass. I can't even drink a whole serving. 1/2 a serving makes me feel like I have a brick on my belly

19. Keroberos

Keroberos Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting some fish oil, but don't want to get Wal-Mart level crap. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Carlson's.

20. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this stack Im considering leading up to a local Oly meet?

80-20 days prior: Testosterone Propionate 100mg/day in three days, then rest three days and repeat.
    80-50 days prior: dianabol 20mg/day
    75-45 days prior: stanzolol 20mg/day
    60-40 days prior: oxandrolone 20 mg/day
    50-35 days prior: clenbuterol 80 mcg/day
    50-25 days prior: Proviron 50mg/day
    60-14 days prior and 10-3 days prior: Somatropin 8-10 IU/day.
    20-12 days prior and 10-2 days prior: Testosterone patches
    35-0 days prior: Insulin post workout, total of 10 IU/day. Ekdisten, Creatine, L-carnitine, amino acids, vitamins, protein, Riboxin, mildronate.