1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Super Narrow Ties

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Gatsby, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby Well-Known Member

Just wanted to see what the consensus was.. It appears that they are still manufacturing a lot here in Japan, though no one appears to be wearing them... I admit I had succumbed and bought two early last year, but I rarely wear them anymore.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

How narrow are we talking here? I only wear 3" ties. 3.5" is too fat for me. However the new Jil Sander 1.5" ties are a bit ridiculous.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

They are in as long as guys like Bloc Party keep wearing them and 60's style slim suits. I'm like Mike C. on this one. A slimmish tie (3" or so) looks decent), but a good (or at least interesting) idea taken too far becomes a bad idea. I vote in because it is *trendy* at the moment, not because I necessarily endorse the trend.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Well said... I agree, although I do prefer *slightly* skinnier.. 2.5" - 3" is ideal for me. Any more and I just look stupid, as I'm practically a stick anyway (working on fixing this, though). Bloc Party was on the OC last week. It's started already. I've never seen them in suits but I believe that they rock them from time to time now that they've been swallowed by the NME media monster.

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member

ties should be in proportion to lapels, which in turn should be in proportion to the suit itself.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Was Bloc Party on the OC? That explains a lot - saw em in DC this weekend - never seen so many popped collars and miniskirts at the Black Cat, or people trying to have their pictures taken with a band. They were not wearing ties. The Ponys rocked a lot harder anyway.

There were some indie-d out kids wearing skinny ties at the show. I look pretty stupid in a casual tie period, and real dumb in a skinny tie at work. I file them - with cardigans - as good for the rail thin hipster, not good for most guys.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Trust me, no one who would wear a skinny tie is doing so with a Zegna suit.

8. LA Guy

]

I agree with that about skinny ties and suits with wide lapels, but not the reverse. I actually think that a big thick tie with a largish (but not comically so) knot makes a pretty interesting contrast with skinny lapels. Not every guy can pull this off though... *really* helps to be Japanese (any Asian ethnicity is okay, but Japanese dudes tend to pull this off best), Italian (damn those guys) and (pretty much goes without saying) tall and thin.

9. Brian SD

Go to Misshapes in NYC or Club Bang. in LA, and you'll be shitting skinny ties for a month. I knew the Bloc Party hype was gonna start sooner than later, but not this soon, and not in this scale. I loathe the OC. You can read this funny story I wrote. You might get a kick out of it.

10. LA Guy

Oh, forgot to add Interpol as well - every East Village and Williamsburg dude wants to be in Interpol - scientific fact.

11. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

I hate them, I think they look dorky. In my opinion they're good for cubicle office workers with stubble on their face, greasy comb overs, shortsleeved dress shirts, 2nd hand dockers, and shoes from payless.

But, that's just me.

12. Brian SD

hahahahaha. Yep.

13. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers Well-Known Member

So you're wild wiskey on superfuture. And I still like Bloc Party (don't worry, I've liked them since january).

14. Debaser

Debaser Well-Known Member

I definately have quite a few skinny ties (because you can get 50 of them for 20 bucks on ebay), however I'm really digging Jack Spade's take on the tie. In between both extremes, I believe they're 2.5" wide. Nice designs, too: look

15. Brian SD

Quite cool. I am digging this as well.

16. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a relatively narrow, black silk knit tie along the lines of what Connery sported in early Bond. Basically, I have a suit that I consider to be a slightly modernized version of the one worn by Cary Grant in the funeral scene of To Catch a Thief, and I need to find the tie to match.

Any suggestions on sources?

17. Gatsby

Gatsby Well-Known Member

Funny enough I think I own exactly what you're looking for. This tie I actually bought almost 4 years ago at (don't hurt me for this) H&M. [​IMG] I was a lot younger and a lot cheaper then. Anyway, the tie is black silk, knit, narrow but not super skinny, around 2.5 inches at the widest point. I'm not selling this or anything, just keeping your hopes up that this tie does exist and is probably cheap. I bought mine for $10.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Brian SD - good stuff on wildwhiskey. I dunno whether to hate the (music side of the) OC or not. I don't watch it, but who am I to say these bands can't make some cash? This kind of exploitation probably encourages watery uniformity (and trend burnout), but most of the bands that make the OC sdtrk or appearances are real, touring bands who do it for a living. It's easy for me to cringe and cry sellout, but if someone offered me the opportunity to sell a bunch of records and play in front of enthusiastic crowds... Does anyone on the OC wear skinny ties? There's your bellwether.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

What's the OC anyway?

I saw a Bloc Party show recently and they dressed like the average british rock band (tees, jeans,sneakers and attitude). As for skinny ties, I think they look good with the right ensemble and if you've got the body for it; which means most people wearing them end up looking like buffons.

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

The OC rules. While idiotic on it's face, the show redeems itself with a sardonic self-awareness. Plus, Rachel Bilsen is hot.