• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd post here since this seems to be the primary repository of all sunglass knowledge.

I'm in the market for my first real pair of sunglasses. I've tried a few pair on recently, and aviators seem the best for my face. So I'm considering the Concordes from Randolph Engineering: http://www.randolphusastore.com/concorde.html.

Problem is, I have no idea what color to order. This will be my only pair of sunglasses, so I need something that's as versatile as possible. I'm somewhat enamored of the gold frame/AGX glass combo, but that may be a little out there, even though it seems like a good match for brown shoes, which I almost always wear. Still, the chrome frame with gray lenses may be the safer option. Other thoughts?

ShimonEzra

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these sunglasses on me? It's Mosley Tribes Rifels.

0523092102.jpg

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShimonEzra
What do you guys think of these sunglasses on me? It's Mosley Tribes Rifels.
0523092102.jpg

You look like Shia Lebouf's awkward little brother wearing giant glasses. To be helpful, large dark plastic and resin glasses are for guys with stronger larger faces and more put together styles so that they don't look like they are hiding behind their sunglasses. You are younger and look to have a baby face. All they are doing is hiding your face. A more open style will behoove you.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So go for a smaller frame size or go for a metal frame?

Yeah I would move away from giant dark and plastic altogether if I were you. Sunglasses should compliment, not dominate.

Then again, I am about to go and ask my GF to swap glasses because my red lenses look stupid with my shirt and she is going to mock my masculinity for caring, so maybe my advice is not spot on.

ShimonEzra

Reaction score
Alright thanks. I'll go back to the store and look for something else.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Figured I'd post here since this seems to be the primary repository of all sunglass knowledge.

I'm in the market for my first real pair of sunglasses. I've tried a few pair on recently, and aviators seem the best for my face. So I'm considering the Concordes from Randolph Engineering: http://www.randolphusastore.com/concorde.html.

Problem is, I have no idea what color to order. This will be my only pair of sunglasses, so I need something that's as versatile as possible. I'm somewhat enamored of the gold frame/AGX glass combo, but that may be a little out there, even though it seems like a good match for brown shoes, which I almost always wear. Still, the chrome frame with gray lenses may be the safer option. Other thoughts?

My personal preference for versatility would be:

1. Chrome frame/AGX
2. Gold frame/agx
3. Chrome frame/gray lenses.

I think the AGX is the most classic color, so would probably be best for versatility.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
You look like Shia Lebouf's awkward little brother wearing giant glasses.

To be helpful, large dark plastic and resin glasses are for guys with stronger larger faces and more put together styles so that they don't look like they are hiding behind their sunglasses. You are younger and look to have a baby face. All they are doing is hiding your face. A more open style will behoove you.

I'll be the contrarian here, and say black plastic is a fine look, as long as they are suitable for your face size. Yours looks a little large, maybe try some smaller Persols, or something with slimmer lenses.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about these?

0524091447.jpg

What are they? Look good to me
thumbs-up.gif
Remind me of my Persols

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. They are Mosley Tribes Delroys.

LOL, those aren't the Delroys I just sold, are they? You in LA? I think they're a better fit for you, I had a pair and they fit well, except in the nose area.
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads