1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

sunglasses in the winter?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lefko, Oct 16, 2009.

1. qyadh

qyadh Member

If somebody gives me fucking Oakleys I will defriend them on the spot.

Flamer, I don't get your hatred for Oakleys either. It's one brand that offers such a broad array of styles that they can appeal to tastes across the spectrum. Keep in mind, Oakley makes several models for specific purposes, like biking and skiing. These glasses are not fashion glasses, but are highly regarded by athletes. Perhaps you're not an athletic guy who only considers sunglasses useful for dining al fresco.

I don't think the brand is the issue here. Sunglasses are a nice gift anytime. If the OP's boyfriend likes to ski, or heads to a sunny climate, or drives in the winter and the glasses will suit these (or other situations), then it's a nice gift. Good on ya for the kind gesture, OP!

2. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

Flamer, I don't get your hatred for Oakleys either. It's one brand that offers such a broad array of styles that they can appeal to tastes across the spectrum. Keep in mind, Oakley makes several models for specific purposes, like biking and skiing. These glasses are not fashion glasses, but are highly regarded by athletes. Perhaps you're not an athletic guy who only considers sunglasses useful for dining al fresco.
    But that's the thing with Oakleys, since they are meant for sports, you can't wear them with a tie and suit (or at least you shouldn't, unless you're Dwight from The Office). And this forum is all about suits and ties. Hence, noobs love Oakleys lol

3. Mountains

Mountains Well-Known Member

But that's the thing with Oakleys, since they are meant for sports, you can't wear them with a tie and suit (or at least you shouldn't, unless you're Dwight from The Office). And this forum is all about suits and ties.

Hence, noobs love Oakleys lol

You can't wear a sporty brand in any context other than sports?

I think I may have missed a natural law somewhere. [​IMG]

4. SuseFr

SuseFr New Member

Are you kidding?!?! I wear my suns EVERYDAY without fail. [​IMG] Without them I would of long lost my license..LOL Those Sun rays kill my eyes; I litterly don't see where I'm drivin..

5. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

oakleys make excellent gifts to non-SFers, seriously.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Why dont you post a picture of you in your old man Maui Jims?

What the fuck? I wouldn't wear some of the more sporty Oakley's but they do make some pretty inoffensive models, but also so do Maui Jim. My current pair of sunglasses are Maui Jim in-fact, and my previous pair (until they fell apart) were Oakleys.

I think a lot of people here have a knee-jerk reaction with Oakleys because the main impression we get of them is idiot posers wearing brightly-colours plastic-framed things with the huge flashy 'O' on the side. This still doesn't explain your comment about Maui Jim though...

7. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people here have a knee-jerk reaction with Oakleys because the main impression we get of them is idiot posers wearing popped collars and brightly-colours plastic-framed things with the huge flashy 'O' on the side. This still doesn't explain your comment about Maui Jim though...

FTFY

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

UV and glare is still very much present in winter.

Mine also create more contrast on those weird gloomy yet bright days.

I say go for it.

b

9. Faded501s

Faded501s Well-Known Member

Clearer skies and snow reflection make shades in winter even more vital than in the summer.

Oakley makes quality sunglasses and their lenses are as good as anything out there. And there's nothing wrong with Maui Jim either. Sometimes I don't get all the hate in this forum [​IMG]

10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I never wear sunglasses. Dont like them.

Even less because my wife is always fucking forgetting hers and we have to go back home to get them because oh no, the sun, its just unbearable...

How did we get this way? Seriously...

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

I don't think the brand is the issue here. Sunglasses are a nice gift anytime. If the OP's boyfriend likes to ski, or heads to a sunny climate, or drives in the winter and the glasses will suit these (or other situations), then it's a nice gift. Good on ya for the kind gesture, OP!

[​IMG]

I still don't get these Oakleys...

12. Octavio Interrupted

Octavio Interrupted Well-Known Member

You know what Oakleys go great with? A TransAm.

13. lefko

lefko Member

2 things i didnt understand here "SFers" and "TransAm"

14. mcsorleyminute

mcsorleyminute Member

You can't wear a sporty brand in any context other than sports?

I think I may have missed a natural law somewhere. [​IMG]

Cops wear Oakleys.

15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Cops wear Oakleys.

So do the guys who cut my grass.