1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Summer Double Breasted Suit: Poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I want a linen DB suit for summer. What color do you think looks best? I'd like to be able to wear the jacket by itself probably with off-white linen or cotton pants. The W. Bill book has lots of colors, but I was thinking of either mid-blue (it's like a faded navy), tobacco brown or khaki. But, their khakis all look kinda lackluster, too gray-eige for me. And I don't want something too mustard-yellow. Bone color would be nice too, but I already have a cotton suit in that. I also thought of a darker brownish gray like the last image, but I think it's in another book. Scabal I think and it might have other silk blend or something in it. Blue suit is not linen fwiw. Just a reference for DB style (sans ticket pocket). Any other cloth I should consider for a summer suit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I want a linen DB suit for summer. What color do you think looks best? I'd like to be able to wear the jacket by itself probably with off-white linen or cotton pants. The W. Bill book has lots of colors, but I was thinking of either mid-blue (it's like a faded navy), tobacco brown or khaki. But, their khakis all look kinda lackluster, too gray-eige for me. And I don't want something too mustard-yellow. Bone color would be nice too, but I already have a cotton suit in that. I also thought of a darker brownish gray like the last image, but I think it's in another book. Scabal I think and it might have other silk blend or something in it. Blue suit is not linen fwiw. Just a reference for DB style (sans ticket pocket). Any other cloth I should consider for a summer suit?

I think the fact that you want to wear the jacket with off-white pants makes choice #3 less optimal.

So I'd go with choice #1. I think all other things being equal, suits look better in blue than brown. Save the brown for next summer...

3. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

tobacco or go home.

4. banis

banis Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a double-breasted suit in Solaro for summer if I could get that cloth.
    I think that it would be a killer outfit.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Too hot; don't do it.

If I were to do it, would get light, light gray.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Too hot; don't do it.

If I were to do it, would get light, light gray.

This advice needs to be tempered by the fact that you are a hot weather lightweight.

7. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

tobacco or go home.

+ 3 patches.

8. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Even for San Francisco, where it's rarely above 70 all summer?

The other option was light gray Fresco or Cripspaire, but then I thought the jacket alone would look weird.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

This advice needs to be tempered by the fact that you are a hot weather lightweight.

Linen as a suiting wears less cool that cotton or tropical wool at least on me. Shirting is another matter.

So DB linen would just not be wearable in a really hot environment.

10. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I voted for the lightest color. Had there been an even lighter color (cream?), I'd have voted for that.

edit: I wear my SB khaki linen-silk suit jacket as an odd jacket during the summer. I like to wear it with white linen-blend jeans as an odd jacket. The jacket is fully lined.

--Andre

11. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

This one breaks up nicely; I wear the coat with cream gab or white cotton trousers or white jeans and the trousers with an off-white linen SB sport coat.

[​IMG]

12. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

A nice brown-grey/beige. You wouldn't mind lighter jackets in summer.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Seersucker!!!!

Ok, I picked the tobacco, because I think that is a great color and I wish I could find something like that. I would also volunteer a lighter than the faded navy, but not quite a sky/baby blue.

Mike

14. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I'd opt for a lighter, more saturated shade of blue.

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Blue DRINKS up the sun. I love my blue linen but in the summer time it's an evening suit, period.

16. sellahi22

sellahi22 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone know who makes a brown-grey linen similar to the fabric in the above picture? This is exactly what I am looking for in a spring/summer/fall casual sportcoat.

Also, anyone know who makes a brushed cotton in this color for trousers?

17. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

That tobacco suit is gorgeous. I don't know how practical it would be though. I would go for the blue or a cream color.

18. wmb

wmb Well-Known Member

the blue

but the tobacco is sweet...

19. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Blue DRINKS up the sun. I love my blue linen but in the summer time it's an evening suit, period.

I have worn blue FLANNEL in Biloxi, Mississippi in July. And yes, I went outside in it. Even walked a couple of blocks. In my world, where I go from AC in the house to AC in the car to AC in the office and back again (with an excursion for lunch thrown in), I just don't see the big deal with a darker color in summer. Also, keep in mind that I am New Orleans, which is a 90+ degree 100% humidity sauna in the summer.

Now, if I am going outside, or will have limited access to AC...well, I am not wearing a suit to begin with. I don't know how they did it in the "old days," I guess lots of booze.

Mike

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I just can't do it.