1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Fine line between between sex sells and sexism I guess. Calling their ads sexist though just lowers the overall impact of the word for actual sexism that should warrant criticism and outrage.

2. Zerase

Zerase Member

I hear what you say and I do agree that there is a line between sex sells and sexism. But the ads SuSu used to run are clearly sexist and in my view they are really tacky. I am glad they have skipped them now, or I wouldn't buy anything from them.

1 person likes this.
  3. h3ro

h3ro Well-Known Member

"Meh, who cares?" is the attitude that has lead us to a world where women are paid less, promoted less and in some cases, still not seen as the equal of men.

The current ad campaign is a far cry from the nonsense they used to put out and showcases the suiting, not some 16 year old's power fantasy of what being a 'real man' is.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. WildBlueYonder

WildBlueYonder Member

Don't even dare to insinuate that I'm somehow "perpetuating patriarchy". It's not the '50s anymore, unless I magically skipped a couple of decades. Wages != Earnings. After having established this basic definition, there is an earnings gap, not a wage gap. Take a man and a woman who work the same hours, same job, same resume, same education and productivity and your gap fades to zero. Guess what, if you instead take ALL women and compare it to ALL men WITHOUT accounting for those factors then of course you're going to get a gap because women are more likely to work less hours per week, work in less dangerous jobs or higher paying careers, take maternity leave or *gasp*, prefer remaining at home?
    Have you ever even considered that people are free to do whatever they please and makes THEM happy without conforming to YOUR agenda? I've never seen a more arrogant stance whereby you must either adhere or be demonized. It stuns me how in 2017 people are still that lazy to avoid looking up facts and buy into propaganda spewed by the media or Hollywood stars, who not only lost their sartorial flair, but also the touch with reality.

Yes, women are not seen as equal of men in places where backwards religion ideologies are rampant. Thankfully this is not the case in the West.

Yes, the new campaigns are better.

5. h3ro

h3ro Well-Known Member

I looked up some data prior to posting, we here in the States still have plenty to do. My home state of New York has made strides, but the country as a whole is still not there. I'm not insinuating anything regarding perpetuating patriarchy. Getting paid for something as a model is a job. My issue was with the artistic direction they chose and what they depicted. I have no agenda nor am I here to demonize anyone.

You say your are stunned that people don't look up facts, make assumptions and follow propaganda but just previously stated that "women are more likely to work less hours per week, work in less dangerous jobs or higher paying careers, take maternity leave". Those sound like a lot of the very same things you're decrying me for. Men and women are entitled to do what they want. They should be compensated equally for it. They aren't yet. That was never my issue though, mine was with the depictions of previous campaigns.

However, I will address your comment regarding "backwards religious ideologies" not being the case in the west. I have never experienced them more than after I moved to Georgia. I was born and raised in New York and never have seen such rampant sexism than I have seen here in parts of the south. This isn't some tribal religious issue as you insinuate and it is very much so present in the "west", at least in my anecdotal experience.

I'm not here to argue a women's right to equality and how depictions of 'control fantasies and domination' undermine that greatly. An actor in a poorly fitted Tom Ford 3-piece didn't tell me to type this. We have a different view to this issue and you're entitled your view as I am to mine.

Cheers, have a pleasant evening.

Moving on.

The new ads are great. This Spring/Summer collection however, is kind of a dud.

2 people like this.
  6. jtorres94

jtorres94 Well-Known Member

My boss is a girl if that makes anyone feel better...

All seriousness the ads for SuitSupply have and in my opinion still are just silly. Whether they are using a man or woman, I don't see how a suit fits in with a beach except for the occasional summer wedding.

But I mean I guess it would be boring to advertise with a guy in a suit working a desk job.

3 people like this.
  7. phsiao08

phsiao08 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is inventory an issue this time? I'm looking for a navy overcoat and a navy sienna suit and get nothing in my size... anyone know if they will restock?

8. Michael81

Michael81 Well-Known Member

It does seem like they are not as efficient as usual. A few things I wanted are also already gone.

Processing orders is taking longer than it usually does as well. My last two were in limbo for four or five days before they shipped.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. Osiris2012

Same, very frustrating. Good for my wallet in some cases but annoying none the less.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aieyric

Aieyric Well-Known Member

This isn't the proper place to discuss politics, but the new ads are a huge improvement, and from a Swedish point of view, you guys in USA are still in the dark ages regarding women's rightso.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    2 people like this.
  11. Osiris2012

To rub salt in the wounds just got a marketing email from them with the banner image being an item that's not even on the aus site anymore cos it's sold out hah.

12. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

This isn't the place to discuss politics followed by "USA are still in the dark ages regarding women's rights." Maybe check your own advice and leave the America sucks at the login screen.

Back to the topic, I did laugh and then think I'd never wear that at the beach living in Florida myself but I liked the shorts vest look. I agree that stock also seems low and despite seeing some I like it's frustrating to see there were some I like more that are sold out. I guess that's the way it goes though. I'll probably wait till outlet to snag some year round suits. Local store in Miami is nice so I may pop in to look at some linen offerings.

3 people like this.
  13. SartyIrv

SartyIrv Member

Anyone purchased this from this seasons offering? Wondering what your thoughts are on if it's too thick for summer? (Product code
    C1110)

[​IMG]

14. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Well-Known Member

Dear @SartyIrv

Do you have weight and composition details of this sport coat?

Cheers,

Dimitris

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  15. SartyIrv

SartyIrv Member

Hi,

Don't have specifics, only what's on the site:

Product Code: C1110
    Material: Wool Silk Linen
    Woven By:Delfino (IT)
    Fit: Havana

Be nice to see any pics of it in the wild!

16. Philipppp

Philipppp New Member

Hi,

I hope this is the right thread!

I recently got a Madison suit from Suitsupply "P5126" in 100% rather thick cotton. I can't decide if I should keep it or not. I ordered size 36L, I am 184 cm / 6" and 73kg / 160lbs.

I have tried 36R in Napoli before, but the sleeves definitely got too short and also the length.

I was afriad the lapels would be too wide, but I think this is ok, I will just wear it casually. Anyway, it was sold out in 36R so I only ordered the 36L and I can't decide if I want to keep it. What I am worried about is the back, I think the front looks better. Double vents are still closed, don't know if this affects due to the rather thick fabric. On SS they said the jacket has 45cm shoulders, I guess normally I have 43-44cm. Maybe 34L would be better for me, but that's only available for "design your own suit" and it's so difficult to see the fabrics etc.

What's your thoughts? How do you think it fits?

Sorry for the bad quality pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Active Member

I think it looks fine. A 34L will be too tight and a tailor can easily fix the back. Sleeves may be a touch short also.

18. jtorres94

jtorres94 Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with this as well.

19. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Well-Known Member

The soho lapels are a bit more proportional imho. Those make you look a like a superhero wannabe.

20. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Well-Known Member

Hi,

Don't have specifics, only what's on the site:

Product Code: C1110

Material: Wool Silk Linen

Woven By:Delfino (IT)

Fit: Havana

Be nice to see any pics of it in the wild!

Hi,

If you go only 3 pages back, you would be able to see the same sport coat which was bought by the fellow member @Michael81 and should he be asked, he may find some time to post pictures in the wild; also he could give you further details in relation to its weight, composition (mentioned inside the garment), as well as its overall aesthetic.

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017