1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

2. Michael81

Michael81 Well-Known Member

Not surprising it didn't sell. The flap pockets ruin it.

This is the best blue jacket on offer in the Euro SS collection in my opinion. The shade is a nice middle ground between their almost-black navy jackets and those awful electric blue ones. It's a pity it's 100% linen.

[​IMG]

This would be perfect if not for the flat, lifeless colour. Great texture and a nice, open weave:
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully they'll add some more stuff in the coming weeks.

3. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Active Member

Total suit noob here. What's the best way to get an under 1000$ Italian suit? MTM Suitsupply or Luxire? I am not really a fan of the SS suits I'm seeing on the website. I want higher waist, bigger lapel, slim not but skinny. Thanks!

4. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

wouldn't you have to buy from an Italian maker to get an Italian suit?

1 person likes this.
  5. buddyfuzz

buddyfuzz New Member

I recently received a Jort Cashmere/Silk blazer (C883) and have noticed that the lapel seems to cover a large amount of the patch pocket. This seems to be very different to the Jorts/Hudsons pictures on the website. Do you think it is to do with the pattern grading to my size (38 Short)? When wearing with a pocket square, a much smaller amount of square is visible than what I'm used to.

I also noticed that the sleeves are around an inch shorter than they should be (I'm fairly sure they haven't been altered though), and have needed to be lengthened (possibly with a 5th button added to balance it out, which I'm not thrilled about). Unfortunately it was the last one available in my size, so can't exchange for another, and it is something I really do want! It's a beautiful shade of blue (less navy than the picture shows).

[​IMG]

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Received shipment of a La Spalla suit in 40L. The sleeves are a bit long. Perhaps half to an inch too long. Is it possible to shorten the sleeves by that much? Or will it throw the look of the buttons off?

7. beyondmars2020

beyondmars2020 Well-Known Member

Sleeves can be shortened from the end of the sleeve or from the shoulder.

If shortening from the end of the sleeve, assuming working buttons, there needs to be enough space between the end of the sleeve and the last button to allow shortening. You can fold the end of the sleeve under to the desired sleeve length and see whether the location of the buttons is acceptable to you or not. Based on my own experience with SS, you may or may not be able to get away with this, and if you do, the space between the butttons and the end of the sleeve will probably be less than ideal (but perhaps still acceptable)>

Shortening from the shoulder is more complicated and expensive, but a skilled tailor should be very capable of doing the job. That means: make sure you have a good tailor. A second caveat: shortening from the shoulder will ruin pattern matching if the suit is patterned, so take that into consideration (ie. in general, if you value pattern matching, then shortening the sleeve from the shoulder is generally not a good idea).

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    2 people like this.
  8. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

Do they have sales ever?

9. h3ro

h3ro Well-Known Member

They have an outlet sale that usually runs twice a year but no regular discounting of items.

10. clarksdb

Thank you, makes sense. However I have a question. If there is enough space then of course you would alter it from the end of the sleeve right?

11. RedRoadster

RedRoadster Well-Known Member

Hi have several of their suits in soho , Madison and Washington fit in size 48 but i would like to buy one of the DB Coats in the Lavello fit, what do you guys think i should buy in sizzing 48 or 50.

12. beyondmars2020

beyondmars2020 Well-Known Member

Yes. Shortening sleeves from the end of the sleeve is simpler and easier than shortening sleeves from the shoulder. And, in general, a simpler solution is generally better than a more complex one, all else being equal.

1 person likes this.
  13. clarksdb

Great. I dropped off my La Spalla to have the sleeves shortened just a touch. There will still be 1 inch distance from the end to middle of last button. I read distance of 1 inch to 1.5 inch is good.

What do you think of P4222I La Spalla Navy Check? It's the one I picked up. Would you classify it as one of those awful electric blue ones? It wasn't my first choice but it looks even better in person than the photos. It's not as light in color as the pictures show. In fact when I went to drop it off for pant hemming two people commented on how nice it looks and the nice color.

My first choice was P4983I La Spalla Blue Plain but it's sold out in my size.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  14. alessandromo

alessandromo Well-Known Member

15. Michael81

Michael81 Well-Known Member

I had the winter version and ended up getting rid of it. The fabric is interesting, but I came to the conclusion it was a little too flashy to work as a staple piece.

Also, while it has an open weave, it's rather heavy (it's been mentioned that the summer version has this problem as well). If you're looking for something in navy the S130 Havana is better in my opinion. It's going to be much lighter and also has a relatively open weave.

I went with this:
    [​IMG]

It's unlined and has a nice texture as well, but doesn't go overboard. I'll be using it as my summer staple.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. alessandromo

alessandromo Well-Known Member

Thanks @Michael81. Should arrive next week, didn't give much thought to the weight so will have to see :)

17. jtorres94

jtorres94 Well-Known Member

So the navy suit I had suffered from an iron accident so I ended up purchasing a Navy Lazio. Though I'm not sure if I got a custom Lazio or its new to this season but it has a surprisingly lower button point than my others and almost reminded me of the Jort's buttoning position.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  18. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

so i've purchased 3-4 shirts from suitsupply
    from plain white dress shirt to sport shirts...
    and each time i'm a little disappointed
    in the quality, the design, and fit
    (from the entombed collar stay in the white dress shirt ... to the cuffs being way too tight when buttoned on a sport shirt ... the fabric quality across the board)

i love the SS suits
    wear 3 of them regularly
    the one from the outlet that i don't love ... i still really like, especially at the discounted price point

so i will stay away from the shirts and only consider their suits

19. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

My main gripe with SuitSupply shirts is that for the correct neck and chest size, the sleeves are way too tight. Like, do-not-flex-your-arm-unless-you-want-to-ripe-the-biceps-and-elbow tight. I have not found the cuffs being too tight, though.

Otherwise, I agree, the fabric quality on the base line shirts are so-so (at least, the ones I have are pretty thin and wrinkly). I imagine when you get into Red Line territory, they must improve by a good margin.

20. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

yes
    i knew i wasn't alone in feeling this way about the shirt quality

the cuff being too tight is on my last shirt purchased from the outlet
    i don't even like the fabric and texture (looked way better in the photo)
    so it will probably end up in the back of my closet

at red line pricepoint, we have a lot of other options
    I am still searching for that perfect shirt