1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DavideMiguel85

DavideMiguel85 Well-Known Member

Could some kind chap give me some sizing advice? I have asked SS, but I'm still not sure.

This is for a waistcoat, so chest size.

My chest is 38". So I generally wear a 38R - which isn't 38 inches, but designed for someone with a 38" chest, so it'll have some room in there, no painted on.

They suggest a size 48.

Forty-eight!

With the chest measurement being 38.6".

Does this sound right?

2. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Honestly, I didn't notice at all. Interesting.

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Ever hear of euro sizing? It's approximately us size plus 10.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. DavideMiguel85

So a 48 is correct?

Thank you.

I am aware of EURO sizing (I live in Europe, UK). Only, on a UK website I am used to being presented with UK-sizing. This is most unusual in my experience.

5. Joenobody0

I'm not sure what's up with their website. I was looking at the New Zealand site and everything is for sale in US dollars. Given the near +10 conversion, I suspect it has to be correct. Really though, unless there's something weird about your body (in which case SS suits won't fit) you should probably take your "normal" size. I'm a 36S in everything, including every SS suit I've tried. Some are slimmer than others, but they all fit as intended.

6. DavideMiguel85

I'm relatively "normal" body wise so can happily buy OTR.

The thing is your 36S gives you a chest of 40.2 on the GB (UK) site. THAT is "normal" in my mind.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jackets/havana-brown-check/C946.html?cgid=Jackets

However, if you go to waistcoats, a SIZE 48 gives you a 39.8 chest. And a SIZE 50 gives you a 41.3 chest.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/waistcoats/blue-waistcoat/W160106.html?cgid=Waistcoats

They seem to be completely mixing sizing here! This is confusing, no?

If ordering a jacket/suit, I think "normal" sizing would apply as you say. But... worth double checking with the sizing guide, as it's not consistent it seems.

7. Joenobody0

SS changes up their measurements based on short, regular, and long. The 36S corresponds to a "23", which is the short version of the 46 (US+10 36R). It's really weird, and I'm not 100% sure all their measurements are correctly listed. I'm sure it's tough for them to keep track of all this stuff over a million different fits and a thousand different web portals/language/units.

When I first got into the brand, I simply ordered 5 different sizes and sent back the 4 that didn't work.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. Kimistry

Kimistry Well-Known Member

Funny, I totally noticed the same thing. I have a La Spalla and it's definitely not like that on the shoulders.

9. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Well-Known Member

any word on if/when the outlet will return to the USA? Since it came out I'm having a lot of trouble paying full price for SS now, despite it being worth every penny...

10. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

If history repeats itself then it should open early July.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

As long as the outlet does not sell staples, SuSu should be good otherwise sales are the downfall of retail as people start to expect them before making a purchase. Spier & Mackay offers a great product but it seems like every page is someone asking for a discount code or when a sale will be.

12. Joenobody0

I agree totally. Paying a reasonable price to get exactly what I want within three days is a great way to shop. Brooks Brothers has become a stressful shopping experience, with their near constant sales and ever increasing prices.

SF types don't make up the core of their base. They were a shop before they came on this forum. We do, however, provide great product feedback. It's all a balancing act.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  13. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I went into susu to kill time before dinner last night and I'm always hesitant about the quality of the suits I see there. They look like crap in person but haven't tried any on yet.

Disclaimer I have a tux a heavy wool jacket and a few sport coats and love them but the suits leave much to be desired. I need two more suits before starting to work again in a month. Is it worth going through a retailer like read wall or Kent wang over susu. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg with a wedding coming up in the next 16 months that I also need to start saving for.

14. DSauerwald

DSauerwald Active Member

Perhaps also save up for a new keyboard that has a comma?

2 people like this.
  15. Joenobody0

Commas look like cheap crap hanging on the wall, although he does have a few periods and exclamation points.

16. OmniscientCause

Oh, the horror of being on a phone and not using proper punctuation. Oh what will I do with myself? I'll put myself in the dunce corner for your amusement...

Doesn't change the fact that the fabrics look significantly better online. I was looking for reassurance that they were in fact decent. I like the cuts but I can't see myself buying anything that isn't a solid color.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  17. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Partly agree, last couple of times I was in a SS store, I thought the Lazio fabrics used were very up and down (I don't like the cut either personally). There were some ok fabric though, so if you just need a couple of suits I'm sure you can find one.

1 person likes this.
  18. OmniscientCause

Ideally I want one of the suits to have a faint stripe and the ones in the store didn't even line up from front to back...I was pretty surprised by this.

19. DSauerwald

DSauerwald Active Member

Sorry man, was meant light-heartedly. Just low-hanging fruit.

2 people like this.
  20. Joenobody0

Sense of humor? I actually thought many of the fabrics look like shiny poly online. To each their own.