1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Epicurus

Epicurus Member

Yes, there doesn't appear to be a huge difference from their other premium lines. Still, will be interested to see how they work to distinguish it from the La Spalla and Jort (if at all).

Completely agree regarding a new double-breasted fit. If they also used the lapels from the double-breasted flannel Jort (the blue windowpane) then I'd probably give it serious consideration.

2. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

This looks promising. I particularly like the side-adjusters on the trousers and the non-pleated shoulder. Now if only they could drop the buttoning point by an inch...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bureaucrat

Bureaucrat Well-Known Member

I agree that it comes off as a more pricier version of the Lazio, but then again I think SS intended it to be just that. They are very similar, but very tremendously in construction.

The main difference between Hartford and La Spalla seems to be the buttoning and trousers. I haven't owned a La Spalla suit, but from the information that has been provided thus, I would probably pounce on the Hartford instead of the La Spalla (maybe just because it has side-adjusters). [​IMG]

4. HerrSvea

HerrSvea Member

Seems like I will have to rethink this suit.

5. Xposure

Xposure Member

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Haven't been in this thread recently, but has anyone done an MTM with pics and report?

7. MxmHrpr

MxmHrpr Active Member

http://www.somethingbespoke.com/suit-supply-mtm-part-1/

Three part series which is well detailed, I'm going to SS on Saturday to get a sportcoat fitted if you want me to ask anything for you I can.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Thanks Mxm...I wonder if that article was done before the recent changes where more options were added (will read). Curious at how well they can work a 3r2, for example. I think that's a new option as well as adding patch pockets versus flapped.

If others have had anything made after those changes were implemented, would be curious to see results and your experiences.

9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Quick question for the experts:

I live in Australia. Does anyone know if you can order from the Suitsupply european website without using a freight forwarder rather than the US website? Currently the same blue line Napoli will cost me $520 if purchased in USD and $380 if purchased in Euro!

Any input appreciated, thanks.

10. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Well-Known Member

I've thought of doing that in the UK for the outlet, but wouldn't it make returning suits more difficult if needed?

I have 3 Suitsupply stores within range of me, not sure if they'd allow me to make outlet returns to a store. I guess this is something I'll ask next time I'm in-store.

Also it looks like Suitsupply has released some weird hover shoes, where can I get them? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Well-Known Member

I hope those aren't Europe only exlusive.

2 people like this.
  12. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Well-Known Member

For anyone who has had success getting a suit to the US from Europe, how did you do it? I am not talking about knowing someone in London who mailed it to you. I'm also not talking about stopping into the store and picking it up while on vacation. Please be specific, because I have no experience with anything like this.

BTW, I am aware that a return would be nearly impossible.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

For a small fee I could ship a suit from London to you. Shipping would be quite expensive though, around £25-30, depending on the suit, and I'd need £20 for my time.

14. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Hello Gents!

I got my SuitSupply order the other day and I'd like to get some feedback on what I should be looking to improve. (Sorry if there's too much "photo documentation" :embar:)

I ordered a 34R double-breasted Madison suit to test the waters as I haven't worn a DB in ages and not sure if it's even something I should be considering…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial thoughts: Lapels to big for my body, jacket maybe a bit long … I think DB's are supposed to be a bit shorter than a SB? Maybe a tad too big? Button position too high for me? Pants are too slim/awkward.

I also ordered a single-breasted Havana Linen suit. Last year, I purchased a 36S Havana Linen SC and have come to feel that its too big in the shoulders and blousey in the "skirt" (don't know if there's a better term). So, one of my objectives was to see if a 34R was a better fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial thoughts: Pants are better, but not ideal. The 34R jacket's a better fit than the 36S, but perhaps could go even smaller? Maybe not?

I also like the idea of using a casual DB suit jacket as a blazer, but again not sure if it works for me…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial thoughts: Even though i just folded the hem, I'm feeling that maybe cuffs might not be the best look for me? I pretty much cuff all my trousers to 1.75", but I think I may have a long torso, or my jackets are too long and it's making my legs look short. It could also be too much contrast? Keeping things in proportion is proving difficult.

I'd like to try their SoHo DB and another SB. I'm thinking that their more tailored/structured fits would be better for me, but right now I'm looking for casual summer suiting and I'm not sure there's really any cross-over there as far as SuitSupply is concerned.

Anyhoo, I think this was a good experiment, especially since I can return everything. I hope to get some good feedback as I'm feeling kinda lost.

Thanks so much!!!

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that in some fits they do have a 32R. I'm not sure if that would be too small, but thought I'd throw it out there. The measurements for the 32R in the shoulders and chest are basically the same as Kent Wang suggested for me. They are also the same as Epaulet's Southwick in a 36S which are my best fitting jackets. The 32R waist however is about 2.4" smaller and I don't know how much that would affect the overall fit.

15. novaeagle

novaeagle Well-Known Member

Anyone think the navy blue havana would work well as a staple navy blue blazer? I prefer the horn buttons to brass, personally, and I think the patch pockets dial it down a smidge.

16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

To my eyes, both are pretty good fits for OTR. With some slight alteration (sleeve length and hemming the trousers, excess fabric behind the armpits on the DB, among others), they'd be pretty much what I'd consider 'very good OTR'.

I disagree about the DB lapels being too big, I think they're great. Then again, there's not set rules; it all comes down to personal preferences.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Thanks ShawnBC! I appreciate the feedback!

18. VincentVogan

VincentVogan Well-Known Member

Hello Macjedi.

Here are my observations: (Take them with a huge pinch of salt, as I have very little experience.)

1. The Madison jacket is either too long, or the button stance way too high. Either way, it accentuates your wide hips. Maybe if the button stance was lower and the jacket had less waist suppression, then your wide hips wouldn't be that noticeable.

The sleeves are bit too long, as well, if you're intending to show off half an inch of shirt cuff.

I don't know whether that's just me, but the pant seat might be let out a bit. In the front it looks okay, but in the back it looks a bit tight.

The shoes are nice. ;)

2. The Havana jacket sleeves are too long, as well. The seat of the pants seems tight, just like in the case of the Madison suit.

On the plus side, because there's less waist suppression, your wide hips are not noticeable, which is a good thing.

The pairing with the Madison jacket seems okay to me, even though I don't like the shoes in this example.

You're right about cuffing the pants: it will probably look better without them, especially with the Madison jacket which seems a bit longer and "eats up" part of your leg-line.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  19. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

As a general commentary, I think you've purchased very fashion forward/noticeable pieces but seem to be a little less than sure of whether you can pull them off. I think you can and they look good even out of the box, but you need a lot of confidence to pull these looks off without look affected. Knowing myself, I'd return them, as I wouldn't ever wear them out the door.

20. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Several MTM shops have been popping up around the US which are making Suitsupply a less viable option when you consider customization, fit, and the extra you pay in alterations. 3 years ago Suitsupply was top dawg in the price range but I think other companies have caught up.