1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Banker94

Banker94 Member

Would you consider the color of the York plain blue (I believe it's called midnight blue) to be too dark for a staple navy suit though? Or is it all right?

Thanks again everyone for the input! It's my first suit, so I really want to get it right!

2. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Well-Known Member

It's totally appropriate. You're interviewer will not be sitting across from you inspecting the exact shade of navy you are wearing. Make sure that the suit has flap pockets and notch lapels, and you should be fine with a moderate range of blues.

3. fieldofdreams

You can always order both and return the one that you don't like. It's remarkably easy to return with SuSu. I happen to prefer the Lazio to the Napoli. I have never tried the York. This Lazio (P3786I18), may work for you. You'd probably want to see the color in person.

[​IMG]

4. Banker94

Banker94 Member

I have an athletic build (42 chest, 32-34 waist) and pretty big thighs, which fit would work the best for me?

5. tautology

tautology Well-Known Member

Probably the Copenhagen in 42 unless your arms or shoulders are too buffed.
    Might want to consider the sienna and Washington too but you may need to have the waist taken in in any of the fits.

6. fieldofdreams

That's a small waist for a size 42. I'd go with either the Lazio or the Sienna, considering they are slimmer fits. No offense to the other poster, but I wouldn't start with a Copenhagen as it is too casual. i also wouldn't go with a Washington, due to the peak lapels. For me, peak lapels are great on business suits, but I don't know about wearing one to an interview.

The Napoli is a more generous cut. This won't work well with your small waist.

Your issue might be in the thighs, if they are large like you say. I would order a Napoli and a Lazio or Sienna, take them both to your tailor, and see which one works best. The blue birds eye Sienna looks very nice. It is more expensive though.

May I ask what city you live in?

7. tautology

tautology Well-Known Member

Second that, I missed the part about the interview and thought it was just a general question for fit. I am a 42 in every fit except the Copenhagen because the waist is very narrow on that jacket- but yes pretty much all of the fabrics for copenhagens are too casual for an interview.
    I think the Jort suits also have a trim waistline if I remember correctly. Still for that size waist a tailor will most likely be necessary.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  8. rye225

rye225 Active Member

Hi everyone. Bit of a lurker on this forum but I own a few SS suits and just pulled the trigger on this Madison. It will be my first DB suit and I will be picking it up this weekend, keen to see how it will fit.

[​IMG]

Quick question. Does anyone use the instore SS tailoring service or do you have your own tailors you prefer to visit?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Well-Known Member

Nice suits @fieldofdreams , I like the three-piece Lazio but the fabric reminds me too much of denim for some reason.

I use the SS tailoring service since I don't know any good tailors nearby, only some dry cleaners are near me who I only trust to hem my pants and nothing more.

10. Banker94

Banker94 Member

I live in Chicago.

I'm not really too concerned about fits, actually. I was at their downtown store last weekend, and both the Napoli and the York fit me just fine unaltered. I'm mostly concerned with colors -- specifically, whether the color of the York is too "black" and "formal" for business wear. But I guess you addressed my concern!

11. Pb924

Pb924 Well-Known Member

I love the way the lazio and the York fit. The napoli is okay, but the cut is a little to generous for my body type.

Does anyone know how the Sienna compares to the Lazio and York in fit?

12. ferdsje

ferdsje Well-Known Member

I hope there' a lot of stuff to come in the SS colection, no mutted colors out there. Waiting for a soho blue plain model...

13. rye225

rye225 Active Member

Just picked up the Madison and it is getting altered. Picking it up from the Westfield store tomorrow.

What do you guys think about the fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Well-Known Member

The jacket looks a little tight, the right lapel seems to be bowing and the waist doesn't look clean. Shoulders seem to fit pretty well though.

Trousers fit well too.

This Hudson jacket just came back in stock in my size, which sucks because I wanted it all winter, and now I need summer suits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fabric is wool-silk but the texture doesn't look like something I could get away with wearing in summer, maybe spring.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  15. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Apart from what @MrTopCat said, I gotta give your credits for the beard!

16. rye225

rye225 Active Member

Thanks guys. I'll bear that in mind when i go to collect it tomorrow.

Shawn I'm a big fan of the beard but I get mixed responses from colleagues and friends!

17. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

When I grew mine, I also received mostly bad comments from family, friends and even my wife. But hey, I didn't grew it for anybody else but me. [​IMG]

18. rye225

rye225 Active Member

Thats what it's all about!

19. 00Schneider

00Schneider Well-Known Member

20. Cham

Cham New Member

1 person likes this.