• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
Got my Napoli yesterday from Holland. Like it very much!

Its my first Suit so - the pockets are "closed" so I need them to open by cutting the threads?

Hotel Guy

Reaction score

Got my Napoli yesterday from Holland. Like it very much! 

Its my first Suit so - the pockets are "closed" so I need them to open by cutting the threads?

There is a tool specifically for this but you can also just use a pair of scissors, carefully. Also, dont cut open the hip pockets as it can ruin the flow/look of the jacket, and only open the breast pocket if you plan to wear a pocket square.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
Don't worry! ;) I have the tool for this but found it bit curious why the pockets are all closed. So will do this tomorrow ;) Thanks.

Edit: Ah, why tomorrow? Because here its nearly 10.30 p.m.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the tool is a seam ripper.

Maybe its just me, but all of these suits seem off somewhat. Maybe its the high button stance or the height of the lapels, or just the cut being a bit weird, but they just don't look quite right to me.

allyouzombies

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, the 38 looks better in the front pics but a little big across your upper back (part of that may be all the fold lines all over the place). I agree with the guy who said the lapel lines are better on the 38. Both jackets look fine lengthwise. On the 38, how is the sleeve head/cap compared to your actual shoulder? Right on, or hangs over?

The sleeve head on the 38 hangs over, but just slightly. As in, when I put my shoulder against a wall, the jacket shoulder touches it just barely before my actual arm does. Whereas on the 36, it's right on.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm kind of torn about which one to keep. Also, when I only had the 38 I took it into a tailor (Sid Mashburn in Atlanta) and the guy told me that there was a lot of excess fabric hanging off the back, near the shoulder blades. And he said that to make it fit better they'd need to take the back of the neck in, which he said is a significant process that would cost around $160. That's more than I want to spend on tailoring. Any advice here?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeve head on the 38 hangs over, but just slightly. As in, when I put my shoulder against a wall, the jacket shoulder touches it just barely before my actual arm does. Whereas on the 36, it's right on.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm kind of torn about which one to keep. Also, when I only had the 38 I took it into a tailor (Sid Mashburn in Atlanta) and the guy told me that there was a lot of excess fabric hanging off the back, near the shoulder blades. And he said that to make it fit better they'd need to take the back of the neck in, which he said is a significant process that would cost around $160. That's more than I want to spend on tailoring. Any advice here?

Due to my build, I have to buy a larger size for my chest and then have the jacket taken in at the back seam and then whatever corresponding adjustment my tailor has to do with the collar. My tailor never indicated it was all that complicated a process and only charges me $100 for this and altering sleeve length. And she is in no way cheap with pricing, so $150 sounds high.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but all of these suits seem off somewhat. Maybe its the high button stance or the height of the lapels, or just the cut being a bit weird, but they just don't look quite right to me.

I think it may have to do with how aggressively shaped the jackets are. I tried on the Napoli and Sienna and was shocked how slim they were in the waist area. Also felt that, like some of the pictures above, I was a 5 pound weight gain away from bursting out of the jacket. Looking at the pictures in this thread, there are pictures of really thin guys that look good in the suits and pictures of others where something seems off.

bluesman528

Reaction score

The point is that when they don't really fit they look weird, they are not magic suits. :) Many buyers are young and not experienced with wearing suits, they look only at a cool fabric design (or at the price tag and the praises of others in blogs and styleforum) and not which of the many Suitsupply cuts is qualified best for their body shape. Then add online shopping without any consulting or fitting in the shop and strange things may happen. :) But the cuts themselves can nevertheless look great on the right wearer.

Materazzi5000

Reaction score

They are all aggressively cut at the waist--even their fullest cut, the Napoli. I am skinny and still needed the waist let out.
My tailor (who also makes suits) was otherwise very impressed with the suit jacket (the pants not so much for whatever reason) and wanted to know where I got it, the cost, etc.

allyouzombies

Reaction score
Due to my build, I have to buy a larger size for my chest and then have the jacket taken in at the back seam and then whatever corresponding adjustment my tailor has to do with the collar. My tailor never indicated it was all that complicated a process and only charges me $100 for this and altering sleeve length. And she is in no way cheap with pricing, so $150 sounds high.

I think what my tailor was saying was that it needed to be taken in at the back collar. You can't really tell from the pictures, but on the 38 there is a tiny bit of collar gapping. Could this be what he was talking about?

Also, you're right about the lapels. They sit flatter on the 38 and almost start to stick out a little on the 36 if I stand with my back straight.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased two Washington fits from SS: One from NYC and other yesterday afternoon in Chicago.

I'm 6' 0" and 175lbs Athletic however the 38R Washington Cut fits me the best. Here is what they altered:

-Extended the sleeves to the max (I have long arms)
-Altered the back collar of the jacket (to avoid dimpling)
-Took in the waist at THREE (3) different seems. This is to avoid having the pant crease extend outwardly and remain down the center of the leg.
-Hemmed the pants (No cuffs)

Overall the quality is pretty good. Not as good my various Ermeneglido Zegna suits but good enough for the price.

I'll post some pics later tonight.

P.S. their customer service and Double Monk shoes are awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads