1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. simple80t

simple80t Active Member

Hi Clarinetplayer,

Very nice. I don't think cuffs are controversial at all, been around for ages and they help the pants drape better if it's a heavier fabric.

What size are your pant cuffs? I think I want to increase mine to around 2 inches. I think my alterations tailor only put a 1.5 inch cuff.

Did you do any alterations? The suit fits you well and I like the brown and blue combinations.

Kind Regards,

2. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry about the poor pic but this should give you an idea of the color and weight of the jacket. Thanks for the great response, good Sir.

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

My apologies for not being clear in my post. The controversy is not about the cuffs; it is about the length of the trouser leg. SuitSupply is not generous with providing ample material to make a cuff. I asked for a 1.75 inch cuff which the tailor did. But, the resultant length of the trouser ended up being shorter than I would have liked. As Holdfast noted, the trousers look great when standing still. But the way they look when walking is another matter. Others said to leave them as they are. I might take the trousers back to the tailor and, reluctantly, have the cuff shortened by a quarter inch to provide a little more length to the trouser leg.

As for alterations to the coat, the tailor let out the sides a 1/4 inch. Everything else--especially shoulder fit and sleeve length was spot on.

The lighting was terrible when I took these pictures this afternoon. I wish that the real colors of the fabric were better represented.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

What is the weight of the fabric? If it's a relatively heavy fabric you can leave them as they are, and it wouldn't look awkward when walking at all. HF is right that with lighter fabrics the trousers might look a bit off when walking if they're very short. However, what you and HF are forgetting is that the width of the leg opening is important as well. With wide leg openings you should make the trousers a bit longer, but with narrow leg openings they'll be fine the way they are.

5. clarinetplayer

Ah! This is a good point! The fabric is heavy, winter weight. I am going to keep the trouser as is for now. I'll give it a try. I was thinking that this would a good candidate to wear with a chelsea boot.

Thanks, for your suggestion.

This is my first Lazio suit, and I really enjoy the shaping and cut.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I only have one Lazio, but it's by far my favorite SuSu cut. Unfortunately they don't make many Lazios with more staple fabrics.

1 person likes this.
  7. Syeknom

Syeknom Well-Known Member

Lazio is such a great cut indeed, wish they'd use it more instead of the Napoli

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Lazio is indeed a great cut. And that is one very nice looking suit CP. I received two suits yesterday and a coat. My first Jort and Washington. Very pleased with both of them. The Jort is hands down the most luxurious suit I have ever handled, and the fit is spot on - even the cuffed trousers. I am also very pleased with the Washington - it is not as slim/skinny as I feared, and the peak lapels are fine since it is a rather dark suit which makes them less prominent. Will try to take some pictures, but there is not not light to work with in my part of the world.

9. clarinetplayer

My first SS encounter was with the Washington. Indeed, I had many second thoughts after I purchased it. The fit is slim, but it is comfortable to wear and certainly not tight. As you said, the dark color hides the "shock" of those lapels. It is a great suit, and I enjoy wearing it.

Is the Jort similar (or the same as) La Spalla?

10. Kyle Rogers

Kyle Rogers Member

I have a Napoli and and a Washington. I love how the Washington has super tapered sleeves. It is so rare to find a suit, even a "slim fit," that has such tapered sleeves. I had the sleeves of my Napoli tapered down by the tailor at the Atlanta store.

I don't remember trying on any Lazio jackets when I was at the Atlanta store. How do the sleeves compare to the other models.

11. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

The Jort is pretty much the same as La Spalla from what I have read, but the name covers a Whole new (limited edition) line in Europe that consists of suits (DB and SB), outerwear, SC etc...

Anyway, here´s a (bad) picture of my new SS coat:

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  12. clarinetplayer

Magnificent coat!

13. clarinetplayer

The Lazio sleeves are more like the Washington than the Napoli.

14. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Should unbutton that bottom button though.

15. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have the exact same coat steffenbp11 and the exact same suit clarinetplayer!

They are both wonderful pieces. I always get comments about my coat and the Lazio check is a really heavy fabric, true winter suit. You wear it really well!

I would like to see that suit as per your suggestion clarinetplayer, with a Chelsea boot. I have a brown pair at home so I might try that look on Monday if it is cold enough.

16. clarinetplayer

You are a very fortunate man, indeed, to have both the topcoat and the Lazio! When I visited the SS store in Chicago, I saw the topcoat. Fortunately, for my wallet, they only had a few in the store and none in my size. A gorgeous coat, it is stunning!

17. thatitalian

I'll have to post them up. Maybe I could wear them together! I'll give it a try on Monday... I'll post up. Hopefully there aren't too many textures going on.

18. clarinetplayer

Do I recall, correctly, that you have a Soho DB?

Looking forward to seeing your topcoat/Lazio posting on Monday.

19. thatitalian

Indeed, I have two! A very dark blue pinstripe and a plain medium blue.

The pinstripe is very heavy fabric, much like the check Lazio. The medium blue is a lighter, more autumnal suit. The colour is similar to a darkish denim and has a similar look in terms of texture but the fabric is again beautiful.

In fact, I think I posted them both on the "what you are wearing thread"... I'll see if I can find the pics or posts.