1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

2. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, but return it. There is not much that can be done to fix collar gap.

3. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

It's not really a "rule," but you might want to know that most people in the know consider double-breasted tweed jackets a sartorial mongrel, or at any rate a very hard look to pull off.

4. ericH123

ericH123 Active Member

Anybody own a Suitsupply topcoat? I was just wondering if I wear a 38R suit if I need to order a 38R topcoat or a 40R to fit over it. The online "Size Advisor" is completely useless.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Try the next size down?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. Zippie1jets

Zippie1jets Member

Afraid next size down would be far too small. I tried the suit on the morning and didn't seem to notice a collar gap and it looked a lot better, but its def. blatant in the picture.

May try to take some better pictures in better lighting later today and get the opinion of whether to tailor or return.

Donuts, I've seen a lot of your stuff and its beautiful, what would you recommend in terms of SuitSupply (w. tailoring) v. Black Lapel for a basic business blue/navy suit like the Sienna?

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Does the Suit Supply video guy annoy the hell out of anyone else? That accent is like nails on a chalkboard. I want to punch him in the face.

And why the hell is he half naked in the "size advisor" video? Since when did SuitSupply become about naked men, and not about naked women.

Warning, pic from naked women era suit supply below. NSFW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

I have no experience with Black Lapel. Glad to share my general thoughts of what I think you're getting at, but if you want PM me with your specific question or how/what you're trying to decide.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

He's Dutch, I'm sure his English is better than your Dutch. Having said that, it annoys me as well. They could've chosen someone with a less pronounced accent, or a native English speaker.

Their marketing campaigns were incredibly helpful for creating their image, as there was some controversy around them in the Dutch media.

10. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was bummed to hear that too. If Magnum can secure retail space in Yorkville to sell ice cream bars, you think Suitsupply would have been able to, but what do I know.

I had been planning on buying one or two SS suits once they opened their Toronto location, as I didn't want to have to play the guessing game by ordering online. But who knows when it's actually going to open now. Maybe it's either time to bite the bullet and order, or just forget SS and try something different. The bang-for-the-buck value proposition of SS is just so appealing, though.

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

got some new stuff in today. took tag off, threw it on, and took these photos to illustrate for you difference in cut and cloth texture

dont judge the midsection of the blue coat and lapel roll of gray coat. its my posture. i took these photos in literally minutes.

blue plain Havana in Moessmer wool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-slightly darker than illustrated on their website
    -again with inconsistency. sleeves 1cm longer (in my favor) than other havana coats. although it makes the coat seem 1-2cm shorter than i prefer

gray La Spalla jacket.
    [​IMG]
    -better button placement
    -appear more balanced when worn with suit trousers (at proper height)
    -roping slightly less pronounced at this camera angle

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Anyone have an update of new stuff will be added to the fall line? Jackets specifically

13. BenMurphy

BenMurphy Well-Known Member

I

I've tried one on. I wear a 36 usually but I wear a size 34 in most suitsupply models, and their 36 topcoat fit well, I wasn't a big fan of the coat though. It didn't drape particularly well- it seemed to not have much of its own structure and just hung straight down, which is not really what I want out of a topcoat.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  14. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Quote:Jackets overall look good right out the box...some work in the waist in the sleeve lengths is needed though

15. Rum Runner

Rum Runner Member

The way he spoke reminded me of the guy from the Dharma Initiative videos on Lost. If I close my eyes it's the same guy.

1 person likes this.
  16. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

I love the Havana except for that damn high button stance. If they moved it down 1.5cm to 2cm I'd buy lots of them.

17. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

That's what has kept me from buying but I'll probably order a 40L instead of my normal 40R and simply return it if my opinion doesn't change.

I should probably do that sooner than later since some of the Havanas now have poly in the fabric.

18. coop86

coop86 Well-Known Member

I was planning on buying the 3 piece Blue Lazio linen suit for a wedding in LA mid October but they stopped selling it apparently. Would wool suits be okay for LA in October or do I have to stick to a linen or linen blend? Any thoughts appreciated.

19. badsha

badsha Well-Known Member

Lightweight wool is fine for LA. Should start cooling off by October.

1 person likes this.
  20. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member