• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

absinthe23

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on where to go next with SS? Being from Aus and not being able to try on in store is getting frustrating!

I've had both a 40L napoli, with the jacket fitting perfectly but 7 drop in pants (33) just too small around legs and waist - tailoring may of got there but needed 2 inchs which is a size up

Just got the 42L napoli, and the pants fit perfect, but the jacket is just a bit off on the shoulders and too much room over the chest.

Really like the herringbone and cut on the 40L, just the pants need size up - tried phone, email with them and keep getting told can't get 35 pants with a 40L jacket. Do you get any better luck in the store?

My only other option is going another slimmer cut but going 42L - looking at all options and site measurements - closest jacket fit to napoli 40L in a 42L jacket for the 35 pants would be La Spalla, but don't want to drop $1k just due to sizing.....

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on where to go next with SS? Being from Aus and not being able to try on in store is getting frustrating!

I've had both a 40L napoli, with the jacket fitting perfectly but 7 drop in pants (33) just too small around legs and waist - tailoring may of got there but needed 2 inchs which is a size up

Just got the 42L napoli, and the pants fit perfect, but the jacket is just a bit off on the shoulders and too much room over the chest.

Really like the herringbone and cut on the 40L, just the pants need size up - tried phone, email with them and keep getting told can't get 35 pants with a 40L jacket. Do you get any better luck in the store?

My only other option is going another slimmer cut but going 42L - looking at all options and site measurements - closest jacket fit to napoli 40L in a 42L jacket for the 35 pants would be La Spalla, but don't want to drop $1k just due to sizing.....

Hi mate,

I totally share your frustration. Being *********** end of the world sucks sometimes!

Napoli is a funny cut, really. It's very full in the chest, but quite slim in the legs. It's generous in the waist, but the waist of the pants are small. Very strange.

I found that their Sienna cut was roomier in the pants - but still tapered nicely - fit well in the chest too. I know it's not what the answer you were looking for, but maybe another cut might be best?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the same odd experience with the Napoli. The LaSpalla worked better - but I had to have the jacket waist let out and the trouser waist taken in.

Ultimately with the Napoli, I had to live with the jacket waist being a little big. I don't think I'd ever buy another.

Regarding the Napoli, has anyone had the jacket skirt flare outward?

mans72

Reaction score
question guys: I ordered my first SuitSupply shirts. Fit is perfect except for sleeves, they are too short for me by about 1 inch (I'm 6.1 feet). The problem is the version L (long) has sleeves that are 2.3 inches longer, which I'd think would be too much for me.
so my question is this: can a suitsupply alterations guy shorten the sleeves?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on the windowpane. That and a light grey flannel...

I'm waiting for the exact same thing for F/W.

Wish they had more patterns / checks / windowpanes for SC right now though. they even took the textured solids out!

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you get any better luck in the store?

The stores don't do separates, if this is what you're asking. That cut just probably doesn't work for you.

question guys: I ordered my first SuitSupply shirts. Fit is perfect except for sleeves, they are too short for me by about 1 inch (I'm 6.1 feet). The problem is the version L (long) has sleeves that are 2.3 inches longer, which I'd think would be too much for me.
so my question is this: can a suitsupply alterations guy shorten the sleeves?

I haven't heard too many fantastic reviews on their shirts, more middle of the road. For a similar price you can do MTM at a place like Cottonwork, Proper Cloth or Modern Tailor and make it fit you exactly.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard too many fantastic reviews on their shirts, more middle of the road. For a similar price you can do MTM at a place like Cottonwork, Proper Cloth or Modern Tailor and make it fit you exactly.
Yeah, on sale they're not a bad deal (€23), but places like charles tyrwhitt offer similar deals.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As this thread seems to cover far more than just SS NYC these days, I'll add a quick report for those in the UK:

I had cause to go to London today, and as I was literally 5 minutes drive from the Westfield shopping centre, and with some spare time, I checked out that branch of SuitSupply. It's been on my radar to visit at some point, but I could never quite persuade myself to make a special trip (I don't like visiting London often, despite its relative proximity to me).

I was impressed. The price point is very competitive, the quality more than decent for the price, and they have a good range of smaller sizes. Perhaps contrary to common perception, I thought that many of their styles were much within a moderately traditional fit. Certainly not intensely slim; similar in taper to other moderately slim brands like, say, Z Zegna. BBBF, for example, I find to be slimmer. I actually had to size down to 34 in SS, vs the 36 or BB0 in the other brands I've just mentioned for comparison. As I usually take a Short, but their 34 only came in Regular, I was fortunate that their relatively short jacket lengths meant that only a minor shortening on the jacket length was needed. YMMV, of course.

The salesman who helped me had a good/thoughtful eye for what alterations were needed, picking up everything I would have noted for myself and suggesting one or two appropriate additional things. We tried on a range of different models, and the Soho, Havana and Napoli cuts worked best for me. I bought a couple of things & decided to let them do the alterations rather than take them to my usual tailor; let's see how well they do with ownership of the whole process for a first purchase. I was actually tempted by a couple of other things, but figured two items were enough for a first visit.

I would say that it's worth going in person rather than ordering online; one or two items I tried on seemed to have unexpected variations between them even within a model, and significant enough to affect the fit. I don't think many customers would necessarily notice this, but if you're fussy like me (and if you're reading this board, you probably are) these things matter. On balance, I think the highest recommendation I can give SS is that despite my wardrobe being fairly well-rounded at this point, I can imagine being interested enough to make the effort of visiting them again in future, especially for lighter/summery things, if I see something nice on their site.

PS if you want to save yourself a long walk around the Westfield, park near Lift Lobby 6. I did exactly that, by chance, and SS is almost directly opposite you from there on L2.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this thread seems to cover far more than just SS NYC these days, I'll add a quick report for those in the UK:

I had cause to go to London today, and as I was literally 5 minutes drive from the Westfield shopping centre, and with some spare time, I checked out that branch of SuitSupply. It's been on my radar to visit at some point, but I could never quite persuade myself to make a special trip (I don't like visiting London often, despite its relative proximity to me).

I was impressed. The price point is very competitive, the quality more than decent for the price, and they have a good range of smaller sizes. Perhaps contrary to common perception, I thought that many of their styles were much within a moderately traditional fit. Certainly not intensely slim; similar in taper to other moderately slim brands like, say, Z Zegna. BBBF, for example, I find to be slimmer. I actually had to size down to 34 in SS, vs the 36 or BB0 in the other brands I've just mentioned for comparison. As I usually take a Short, but their 34 only came in Regular, I was fortunate that their relatively short jacket lengths meant that only a minor shortening on the jacket length was needed. YMMV, of course.

The salesman who helped me had a good/thoughtful eye for what alterations were needed, picking up everything I would have noted for myself and suggesting one or two appropriate additional things. We tried on a range of different models, and the Soho, Havana and Napoli cuts worked best for me. I bought a couple of things & decided to let them do the alterations rather than take them to my usual tailor; let's see how well they do with ownership of the whole process for a first purchase. I was actually tempted by a couple of other things, but figured two items were enough for a first visit.

I would say that it's worth going in person rather than ordering online; one or two items I tried on seemed to have unexpected variations between them even within a model, and significant enough to affect the fit. I don't think many customers would necessarily notice this, but if you're fussy like me (and if you're reading this board, you probably are) these things matter. On balance, I think the highest recommendation I can give SS is that despite my wardrobe being fairly well-rounded at this point, I can imagine being interested enough to make the effort of visiting them again in future, especially for lighter/summery things, if I see something nice on their site.

PS if you want to save yourself a long walk around the Westfield, park near Lift Lobby 6. I did exactly that, by chance, and SS is almost directly opposite you from there on L2.
Great review! What did you end up going with? The Soho is still by far my favorite SS cut. I actually stopped by the London SS store today, as I needed to pick up some shirts from Jermyn street. Their selection of suits wasn't as versatile as in the Dutch stores, which is something I noticed in the NYC as well. The salespeople were a little more aggressive than I'm used to, but that might just be a UK thing.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a brown Havana jacket and a navy Napoli suit. I was sorely tempted by an ocean blue Soho but I already have a couple of blue summer jackets (albeit SB and navy) I decided against it this time. I'm quite tempted by a couple of Soho suits I can currently see the website (the brown linen & the grey plaid), so if the first two things I've bought are finished to my liking, I might ask the shop if they'd be kind enough to order those two in my size so I can try them on in person. I could see myself getting one of them at least, to round out my summer wardrobe for a while.

I didn't feel any sort of sales pressure at the Westfield, by the way; on the contrary, it was a perfectly relaxed & enjoyable shopping experience. Maybe different branches have different approaches.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a brown Havana jacket and a navy Napoli suit. I was sorely tempted by an ocean blue Soho but I already have a couple of blue summer jackets (albeit SB and navy) I decided against it this time. I'm quite tempted by a couple of Soho suits I can currently see the website (the brown linen & the grey plaid), so if the first two things I've bought are finished to my liking, I might ask the shop if they'd be kind enough to order those two in my size so I can try them on in person. I could see myself getting one of them at least, to round out my summer wardrobe for a while.
Yeah, I saw the brown linen one today, it looks fantastic. I just can't justify buying another DB suit, as I'll only be able to wear it during the weekends. It was very tempting though. Sometimes I wish DB suits would become suitable again for business environments.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm lucky enough to be able to wear almost anything presentable for work, so either of those suits would have worked for me.

I think SS will prove to be a good source of lighter, summery, somewhat more modern items to complement my more traditional English stuff. The latter are great for traditional business suits and for tweedy jackets, but in spring/summer I prefer a slightly different look.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of BS they charge for alterations.
If they added the alteration costs to the price, then you'd be using the thread of some less expensive company instead of this one. Beggars can't be choosers. If you want a cheap price, then things are going to be left out. Please read the below comments.
You're completely right!

Those who don't need alternations should subsidize the cost of your alterations. SuitSupply should increase the cost of all of their products to provide this 'freebie' for you.

Total BS. It should be free like if you brought it to your local tailor.

Oh, wait.

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Does anyone here own the Havana Blue Plain Traveller and want to offer their impressions?

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-blue-plain-havana-p3554/P3554,en_US,pd.html?vpid=P355403

I'm looking for a decent all-around navy suit, I already have enough odd jackets, although the Paris Blue Plain and Havana Brown Check are tempting. Saw photos of the Brown Check a few pages back and it looked very nice. I'm concerned the Paris Blue Plain might be a little cheap looking and feeling in real life?

kashmir

Reaction score
can buying the long version solves the length issue? meaning when I see them worn by models on the web and think "too short" it will be solved if it's the long version of the same garment? just curious

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads