1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

+1 to this. [​IMG]

2. Syeknom

Syeknom Well-Known Member

Roosendaal was where I was thinking of heading - easiest one to get to from Leuven.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Definitely, you should try calling ahead and ask what suits they have in your size in order to avoid disappointments, as it can be quite the crapshoot.

4. Monkeyface

Btw, they also sell ties at the outlet stores, 2 for €15. I don't like their silk ties at all, but their knits and linnen ties really aren't all that bad. Bought two very nice brown linen ties, quite happy with them for that price.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  5. emiristol

emiristol Well-Known Member

monkeyface, is the DB in your avatar from suitsupply?

6. Monkeyface

Yeps

7. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Do all the jackets have functional sleeve buttons?

8. Monkeyface

Yeps

9. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be a problem if I want to cut out one-two inches from the sleeves?

10. Monkeyface

You can shorten the sleeves by a little, but if you need a huge adjustment you'll have to shorten it from the shoulders, which can be quite expensive. You'll have to judge it on a case by case basis.

11. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share my La Spalla...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

I think Timo had also posted a pic of the same La Spalla model beforehand.

13. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

14. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Well-Known Member

This is clearly Tom Ford inspired, but obviously falls short. I finally made it to the Vigo Street shop in London and was able to see and try on suits in person - overall they are pretty nice I guess. I did not see this model there, but did see and try on several others, including the Washington, which the salespeople call "Tom Ford... without the price tag". The fit of the Washington was pretty nice - slim and fit my 38R frame almost perfectly. One thing I noticed on all the jackets that I tried on, with the exception of their Napoli model, was that there was A LOT of collar gap - more so than any other garment I've ever tried on before. I didn't notice sleeve pitch issues on me though, and indeed the already functional sleeve buttons poses an issue since I'd have to get the sleeves shortened by a good inch, and apparently alterations are NOT included... it was a good exercise for me to go there though and glad I finally did.

15. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. Super-size notches are a crime against vision.

16. Monkeyface

Very interesting to read your perspective of SS! My experiences have been the exact opposite of yours when it comes to collar gap: I have no collar gap with most of their suits, except for the Napoli, which has an insane gap. I appreciate the working cuffs, but that's because the sleeves fit me perfectly. However, if I were running SS I'd get rid of those ASAP, it just scares off too many customers, and no one shops there just for the working cuffs. I'd also bring back more of their earlier staple suits, because they're slowly becoming more and more 'fashion'. Judging from their rapid expansion across the pond they seem to be pretty successful though.

17. eHaberdasher

Look familiar?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. eHaberdasher

Funky opposite regarding collar gap. Just curious if you don't mind me asking, but what size suit do you wear and what size neck shirt do you wear?

Agree with you whole-heartedly about the functional sleeve buttons. Also the Havana is a great cut and a nice natural shoulder - but patch pockets on suits is trickier to pull off and really too casual for most suit wearers... makes a great jacket though.

19. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

...not a fan....peaks? Yes...notches? [​IMG]

The tie just makes it seem even more dated.

20. Monkeyface

I wear a 40/50 suit and 15.75 shirt. Bear in mind that the SuitSupply sizing is pretty inconsistent within their different cuts. It might just be that I have tried on different Napolis than you have. That's another issue I would fix, all suits of a certain cut should fit the same. It can be pretty annoying when for example a 50 navy Havana SC fits you great, but when you order another one in a different colour it's suddenly too small.