• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The typical machine made pickstitching or surgeon cuffs are considered handwork?

I think handwork it's only in the fantasy of their saleperson, not only a single handmade detail but a single handsewn stitch is possible at this price at this volume and in china.

I'm just going by what I was told by a sales associate over the phone and what they put on their website..

" The hand tailoring and craftsmanship involved in creating the Sienna afford it a level comfort and attention to detail that can only be obtained by the most skilled craftsman. The Sienna features a Neapolitan shoulder which the Italians call the spalla camicia (in English known as the shirt shoulder, meaning the shoulder falls like a shirt). These shoulders hold minimal padding, making for a natural shoulder that is softer and lighter than in English inspired suits. The lack of padding might result in slight shirring at the sleeve head. The Sienna is distinguished by handmade details such as handset soft sleeve, underarm sousbras and a handmade canvas collar for maximum comfort and fit. Other features include horn buttons, special red Bemberg lining and a front ticket pocket. "

I'll take them at their word right now.. they could be lying but oh well...

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't lying, but they are forcing in ambiguous way the use of the terms "hand" and "handmade" as it's sadly common today in clothing business

The machines are always guided by the hands of the workers.
A sleeve is handset also in 1$ jacket as padding, canvas are set in place by hands but this don't obviuolsy mean they are hand stitched or finished.

However this is simply marketing, they made what seem to be very good products.

Last edited:

McBindle

Reaction score
Dufferin1 and Steffenbp11 - thank you for your replies on the trouser fit questions. Very helpful.

radchad3

Reaction score

Thanks for the thoughts on the "handmade" details. He are some pics of the Sienna. Any thoughts on the fit? The sleeve and collar have been pinned. I am concerned on the fit of the left shoulder. There is quite a bit of creasing there. Is this what they call "shirring"? Is it acceptable? How about around the waist?

Thank you all for the responses!

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have just snapped some pics of the three different models I own. Hopefully this can shed some light on the pants discussion:
None of them are particularly low rise. Havana is a little slimmer than the others.
Sienna

Lazio

Havana

^ Pants look pretty tight.

I don't know, I think they look slim but not skinny. Tough to tell "tight" without seeing what his legs look like without pants, and I don't want to see that.

The Gold Bug

Reaction score

Thanks for the thoughts on the "handmade" details. He are some pics of the Sienna. Any thoughts on the fit? The sleeve and collar have been pinned. I am concerned on the fit of the left shoulder. There is quite a bit of creasing there. Is this what they call "shirring"? Is it acceptable? How about around the waist? Thank you all for the responses!
The jacket is too small especially around the chest where the lapels are clearly bowing.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is too small especially around the chest where the lapels are clearly bowing.

Yea I would have to agree.. the lapels dont lie flat and what you see at the sleeve head is what a divot.. it pretty much can mean either the point to point is to small for you or the ratio of the armhole/sleeve head/ your shoulders just dont match.. the armhole can be shaped a little different from your arm and small so it causes everything else to fall out of proportion. All in all that is not a good thing, with the lapels bowing. I would return it and maybe size up or look at a different model all together. Good luck with what you decide!

radchad3

Reaction score
Thanks you folks even though I wished it fit better! I also have a Napoli fit which I will post here shortly. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Ketawa

Reaction score
Cross-posted from the Tailors' Thread. Just wanted to get a little more feedback before I commit to a decision. Adding to the below notes, I'm probably returning the suit regardless of my decision until I build up some more strength. I'd say my biggest concern is the buttoning stance. I think it might be just a little high and it makes me wonder if I'd be better off going with a MTM Kent Wang suit in a few months instead. Finding a RTW suit that is long enough is challenging.

Hello,

I would like to request some feedback on this suit. For background, I am 6' 5", 205 lbs. It has been difficult to find a RTW suit that fits me well, but this has been the best so far. It is a Suit Supply size 44L in the Napoli cut, dark gray. I do not currently own a suit, so I was hoping this would fill the void. I'm in the military, so I do not wear one for work and this would be only for occasions such as weddings or funerals. I don't want to spend a lot since I wear a suit so infrequently. I haven't worn one in over four years.

Some notes I had:

• The collar is too large on the shirt I am wearing. I have some others on order that are 1/2" smaller in the collar.
  • The jacket collar stays close to my shirt collar as I move my arms around.
  • I had surgery on my left shoulder at the beginning of January and I think it is apparent that my left shoulder & arm muscles have atrophied. I also had surgery on my right shoulder a few years ago. Before surgery, I lifted weights and was in much better shape. Even so, my posture has always been rounded.
  • I can't decide if the shoulders are a little large or ok.
  • The sleeve pitch looks a little off, but moving my arms a little bit the rumpling in the back of the sleeves goes away. I did my best to stand naturally but it seems like a very sensitive thing. Not sure I could do much better with a RTW suit.
  • The left sleeve looks much longer, probably because of my left shoulder. There is extra material to extend the sleeves up to about 3/4".
  • I'm wearing a Brooks Brothers Slim Fit shirt, but I would typically wear Extra Slim Fit. I have the slim fit on since I had it tailored to fit better in the body and it isn't baggy. Ideally, my shirt would have about 1/2" smaller collar and 1" longer sleeves, with smaller cuffs that make the cuffs rest in the proper location on my wrist. The cuffs are too large on this shirt and the sleeves are a little short, but it looks ok standing straight.
  • One thing that's a tiny bit frustrating is this is a BB spread collar shirt, but even so the collar doesn't reach the jacket lapels. Is this ok?
  • The back is messy, especially around my left shoulder. This is probably partially because of my surgery.
  • The buttoning point is about 2-1/2" above my belly button. Is this high or ok on an Italian cut suit?
  • I think the jacket length looks fine.
  • The trousers are obviously unfinished but fit me well in the waist.
  • I wouldn't wear these shoes, I have some black oxford cap-toes on order.
  • I need a haircut.

Does it look like this suit might fit after alterations?

Should I wait a few months until I have fully recovered from surgery, and am in better physical shape? I'm thinking this might be necessary, and maybe this suit will work then. Thoughts?

Thanks!

radchad3

Reaction score
Alright, here is the Napoli Jacket. Judging by the Sienna Jacket I am guessing this is too small as well but please let me know what needs fixed. The collar has been pinned. Thanks again!

dufferin1

Reaction score
I am not too familiar with proper terminology, especially for pants but the jacket looks great. The only thing I see is something I have as well and that is the wrinkling on the back of your left shoulder/arm hole. A tailor on here, told me that, that is because I have a low left shoulder thus creating this and there really isn't much else I/you can do about that.

Reaction score
what are some slimmer cuts? is there something similar to the Washington, but with notched lapels?

also, does anyone know of other suit brands that would fit a tall, very slim figure around the same price point?

I DREAM of a Washington cut jacket with PEAK lapels......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads