1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

If you are 20.8 in the shoulders, you should probably be looking in the 48L.. but that does not sound right though.. how are you a 20.8 shoulder wise and still fit into 42L's? Most 42L's are like 19" shoulder wise..maybe you might have that wrong? Im very broad shouldered..and Im 20.4" and could not fathom into fitting into anything smaller than a 44L.. and that has to be a pretty roomy 44L..

2. biged781

biged781 Well-Known Member

I just measured 5 of my jackets to make sure. I wear a 40 or a 42 R depending on the cut. They all measure at least 20" seam to seam, some 21.

3. Lavoisier

Lavoisier Member

Hahah, you guys just confused me even more. =P

I had trouble measuring my shoulder length, but I felt I got a pretty accurate measurement by just extending the tape going over the back of my neck with my head curved forward - I went from just over one shoulder bone ending to the other.

Biged781, from what I understood you just confirmed that 40" and 42" jackets can accommodate someone with shoulders like mine, yes? Are your jackets from suit supply?

Thanks for the replys, but I'm still in the dark here regarding the Napoli cut.

EDIT: Remeasured in the manner described above just to be sure - there's definitely something between 20" and 21" there.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

20.8 inch shoulder and a 40 inch chest doesn't seem to add up at all, even for a broad shouldered person. Measure across the top back of your best fitting shirt or suit to get a good estimate

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

20.8 shoulders and 40 chest? If I measure my shoulders from the back I get a measurement of 20" and a 42.5" chest but they fit in a 19 shoulder jacket, don't ask why that happens. Then I usually buy RTW jackets with 19.5 because of my sloping shoulders. Most of those jackets needs to be 44 or for example in the Zegna slim cut a 46. That's why the measurement of the (I forgot the name of the model) jacket that have a 19" shoulder and 40 chest make me doubt. You should go to a local store and try different sizes and when you find one that fits nice in the shoulder ask for the tailor to measure it. It's what I do and has worked.

6. Lavoisier

Lavoisier Member

Ok, so I took measurements from a decently fitting suit jacket I have, as requested; it's a bit too long and too wide at the waist, but sleeve and shoulder length seem about right - though I'm thinking shoulder could afford to be a half inch longer.

The measurements:

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 47 cm / 18.5"

Shoulder end of pad to end of pad : 49 cm / 19.2"

Sleeve: 67 cm / 26.3"

This should give a decent notion of how the jacket fits me:

[​IMG]

And how the measurements were taken - tape in centimeters (mind you, I stretched the tape, but I obviously couldn't do that while taking pics):

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam
    [​IMG]

Suit shoulder end of pad to end of pad:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sleeve:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Lav, I'm no expert, but in that pic I can see your shoulder popping of the jacket, IMO, I would use one size more.

8. Lavoisier

Lavoisier Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but, like you, I'm no expert =]

It's why I mentioned the shoulder could be about a half inch longer, though 1 inch longer is probably more like it.

So, which Napoli size has 19.5" shoulders going from seam to seam?

9. researchingsf

researchingsf New Member

I believe the Napoli 42S and 42R are 19.4 and 42L is 19.5 from shoulder seam to shoulder seam, I would try that size.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about these SS pocket squares? I've never bought their squares, can anyone comment on the quality?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lavoisier

Lavoisier Member

Thanks a lot! Guess it's exactly my usual size, then. I'll try a Napoli in 42L, hopefully it turns out alright cause returning stuff overseas is pretty much impossible.

12. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

Got the second one, really likin' it

13. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

yea in the Napoli I can get my actual size.. with everything else in their line, it looks like I may have to size up in measurement...The structure of the Napoli shoulder works for my shoulders and the chest drape works for someone with an athletic top.. the pants tend to be very slim as well so it should work perfect for your bigger drop..

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Yeah, I prefer the second one as well. Looks like I'll pick that one up sometime soon!

15. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I don't see them in the online shop!

16. timotune

EU only, it seems

17. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Well-Known Member

i like the havana. sized down -1 from my normal (36 from 37)

there is a size variant between the 2 jackets. gray is cotton but soft. blue is wool-cashmere which feels fantastic but unfortunately the sleeve and body is about 1cm shorter than the other so its going back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. timotune

I really dislike & do not understand their inconsistent sizing.
    Had the same problem several times already.

19. Lavoisier

Lavoisier Member

That's great, looking forward to when I finally get my hands on one. How padded are the shoulders by the way?

On this picture, for example, you can clearly see a pad bump on them, which is a bit unseemly: http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...594i/P3594I,en_US,pd.html?start=29&cgid=Suits

20. tljenkin

tljenkin Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain the "Blue Line Personal Tailoring" option? Would this allow you to have properly fitting sleeves if the OTR Napoli sleeves are ~1.5" too short? I am very tall and have long arms.