1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suits in Vietnam...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vinhle37, Dec 23, 2006.

1. vinhle37

vinhle37 Member

Just out of curiousity, are there Viet Kieu tailors in your area? What do they charge in tailoring costs? You may do well to order your cloth from Howard on eBay (very very cheap) and take it to some local tailor in your nearest Little Saigon and get him to do it. May end up with a better product at a comparable price, plus all your measurements will be in tact and tweakage included. Just a thought.

I never thought about that... [​IMG] I actually live on Bolsa (Little Saigon, Orange County). I'm pretty sure you know where that is. Right?

There's a lot of vietnamese tailors here. The problem is that I don't know anything about suits... I'm not sure how many buttons to get, pockets, vents, lapels... Furthermore, how do I know if a tailor is good? If I look at some of his sample suits, what do I look for? How do I know if it's good or not?

As for the fabric, I looked on Howard's ebay store and there's such a wide selection of fabric. I don't even know what kind of fabric to get. Do I just purchase 100% wool fabric? Cashmere? How many meters?

2. Rekevalate

Rekevalate Active Member

Hey Matt,

Thanks for posting the pics.

Great choice in fabric. [​IMG] I have a similar fabric in Wain Shiel. My brother in-law, retired tailor made it into a suit for me about a year ago (when he wasn't retired). He refused to make it with darts and I didn't understand his explanation until now. I've tried to attach an image, hope it works.

Would Dung have advise you of this if given the same situation? It is definitely an error on Cao Minh's behalf. In my humble opinion though, it still looks damn fine.
    [​IMG]

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I never thought about that... [​IMG] I actually live on Bolsa (Little Saigon, Orange County). I'm pretty sure you know where that is. Right?

know it very well. Lived there for a summer. Was the only white person in the neighbourhood.

Topic for another thread number 1!

Short answer - for a first suit, 2 or 3 button suit, 2 vents, straight pockets (on pants and on jacket), ask if he canvases or fuses (stitches in padding or glues it). A high gorge (the little notch) tends to look good on basically anyone.

Scan the web for some pics you like and post them here, you will get good feedback on what to look for.

Remember - you would be having all the same problems getting a suit mail order.

Topic for another thread number 2!

But I would hazard a guess that any of them will do a better job than your own meaurements emailed around the world.

Topic for another thread number 3!

Short answer - 100% wool for a first suit. A dash of cashmere wont hurt.

I bought his gray Super 150s which is beautiful. He also used to have a charcoal 97% Super 130s wool 3% cashmere charcoal purple pinstripe with is absolutely gorgeous.

3.5 meters covers me. I am 5'10/80kg.

4. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Yup, absolutely. He would be jumping up and down saying "khong duoc khong duoc"

5. taralis

taralis New Member

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

A woman in our midst. Oh boy, getting all nervy.

JK, welcome to the forum.

yeah I dont think replicating the jackets in those pics would give him too many issues - bring the pics with you to be on the safe side though.

In tailoring (for men anyhow, women, not sure), Dung charges 1.2 million VND, which is sorta $70 or thereabouts. Cloth extra. I dont know anything about women's wear sorry - so no idea how many meters you would need.

When it comes to mens wear, I am about a 40R in suit size, which comes out at about 3.5 meters of wool. Dung has everything from 10 buck a meter Chinese crap to 100+ a meter Dormeuil, meaning a basic mens suit in my size could be as cheap as $100 at the bottom end, and well over 400 with better wool - so you can use that as some kind of price guide.

Hope you enjoy your trip, and feel free to PM me if you need any advice on things to do etc etc while you are here.

7. taralis

taralis New Member

haha were my pics that feminin? [​IMG]

im sure im not a woman, thanks for the information though, whats the average time for Dung to complete a suit?

yeah any suggestion on things to do would be great, ive been in saigon like 10 times before because i have relatives here but when im there i just live the ordinary standard vietnam life and not as a turist (ofc to a certain point). but this time i will go with my friend and therefore i have my chance to live like a extreme turist. so we want to experience everything you should experience. we will stay for about 2month so we surely have the time [​IMG]

8. Rekevalate

Rekevalate Active Member

Hi Mat,

I finally got the suits. A few notes about Cao Minh.

1. They're damn expensive compared to everyone else
    2. They're slightly inconsistent i.e. three suits made, each with very slight differences i.e. sleeves in one suit longer than sleeves in another
    3. They make great ladies suits
    4. Customer service is average
    5. They took nearly a month dispite my request for quick service

I don't know how good they are at bespoke though cause I gave them one of my bespoke suits to copy. They did a good job copying the details and measurements.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. taralis

taralis New Member

so im in saigon now, im going for dung next week.

wiho

10. taralis

taralis New Member

so it cost me about 250 euro for 2 shirts and 1 jacket and one smoking. the material cost almost as much as the work.

will be fun to watch how it turn out

11. meister

meister Well-Known Member

No hard feelings but I think BKK is still the go fellow Aussies though a coupla senior guys tell me there are fantastic tailors in Hanoi.

12. AJHCM

AJHCM New Member

Xin Chao
    I have just signed on here. I discovered Style Forum while searching for Tips. I wanted a new Suit and searched for Tips before having it Tailored. I'm an Expat Canadian and I thought I would add my experience, in the event it might be helpful. I had a Tailor named Vinh make pants and shirts for me 18 months ago and I was quite satisfied so I returned to him. I was able to schedule him to come to my Villa with Samples and take the details here. He said it will be ready for fitting in 6 days and he will return here to do it, so i'll provide a report here sometime after that. I was impressed with his promptness and demeanour throughout.

Although he didn't mention it to me, I later discovered that he has a very simple Website with testimonials from Customers http://www.vinhtailorsaigon.com/
    He did say, when I asked, that he is prepared to schedule a visit to any Customer's location in Ho Chi Minh City to take Measurements. I downloaded and Printed photos of the style and detail that I wanted and gave that to him. His Fee for tailoring the Suit is $75 USD, which seems to be the standard fee here. Plus the Fabric of course.

His address, email, and photo of his Shoppe are on his website. His Shoppe is about 300M SW of the New World Hotel (my home for a while) and in the vicinity of what is termed the Backpack area. You will find many Expat workers (Australian, European, NorthAmerican) from Aviation, Teaching, Engineering and other Fields out for R & R in this area. Lots of inexpensive tours are available there also.

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

14. royal618

royal618 Well-Known Member

The suit he's wearing is almost reminiscent of the one worn in Good Morning Vietnam.. perhaps not so vibrant under the fluoros. [​IMG]

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Yeah i had a chuckle at that too, but I guess when you reach the point where you use a shirtless shirtmaker, you get a little desensitized to tailoring irony. BTW I am yet to meet an expat (English teachers not withstanding, but as a general rule I wouldnt go taking my style cues from them..white socks....) who buys a suit in that part of town. Those places are 24 hour turnaround shops for backpackers to buy fused suits. BTW $75 is top-end-of-tailoring-town here. That is what Dung charges - and his store (and presentation) are incomparably more professional. The shops that look like the one in the picture tend to be 500000-800000 VND ($35-50). Still, I am about to make a jacket, so maybe I will swing by there, see if they will canvas it. Phu-the-cheap, who has done a few things for me in the past refused to canvas my jacket on the grounds that he is 'getting too old to do technical things like that' - hurts his eyes apparently [​IMG] So...to AJHCM...assuming you are an expat here rather than just shilling for the store, suggest you swing by Dung and see the difference in store, construction and so forth for the same price. He is on Le Thanh Ton halfway between Ben Thanh Market and the New World Hotel. The fabric store next door (Minh) is owned by his wife, so collectively they have a decent selection. Certainly the best in town for high end wools. Tailoring fee the same...he takes a month to make them though, and generally worth the wait.

16. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

Howard? Fabrics? eBay? Can someone provide a link or more information?

17. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

18. Michael1981

Michael1981 Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurret this from the dead but how much does dung charge for shirts?

19. BipgoBumpo

BipgoBumpo Well-Known Member

Hi, guys, I've been working in Ho Chi Minh City for a few months, and I'd recommend Lam tailors at 158C Dong Khoi as an alternative to Dung or Cao Minh. I've had a few suits made by them. They seem to be the choice of the diplomatic community here, and even made a suit for my native country's beloved president, George W., when he was in town a year or two ago. Their house style seems to be very strongly English-influenced. They also make excellent shirts. Prices are around $300 for material and labor. Their fabric is generally imported from Italy or England, and most of it is lightweight cashmere, which is understandable, given the local climate. I would definitely not recommend Vinh tailors (http://www.vinhtailorsaigon.com) for suits, but they're not bad for chinos. There is no 2nd (or 3rd...) fitting at Vinh, basically once he's made what you ordered from him, you're stuck with it. He made a few shirts for me with collars that were too wide, and some others that are starting to fall apart. Here are some pictures of my suits from Lam, the first one is a basic 2 button suit made out of cashmere, and the second one is a double-breasted cashmere & mink blend. I'm picking up my first suit from Cao Minh tomorrow, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. BipgoBumpo

BipgoBumpo Well-Known Member

OK, here's the new suit & shirt I just picked up from Cao Minh. It seems to be fine, maybe a little baggy, but not bad considering I just ordered it 8 days ago. I don't think I'll get another shirt from them, it isn't as nice as the shirts from Lam Tailors, and it's more expensive, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]