1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suit too big for alterations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mazy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mazy

mazy Member

I just inherited a suit from a family member. It's quite big, and I'm not sure if it's too big to be altered so it will fit properly. I have no experience with suits. If altering it too much will ruin the suit, I'd rather give it to someone who can wear it. Thanks for your opinions. I hope the images are good enough.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about taking it in and how that will affect the look of the suit. Does it need to be shortened also? I am only 5'4" so fit is always an issue for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I 'd say its way too big for alterations.

1 person likes this.
  3. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

Yes, pass it along to a new home.

1 person likes this.
  4. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

Although making a suit smaller can be done, there are practical limitations. The jacket is significantly too long,as are the sleeves. It looks like the shoulders are too wide. Although the waist, seat and rise of the trousers are not visible, I would be very surprised if they are not in need of re-cutting. Because you say if there is a lot of work you will pass it to someone who it fits, I assume there is no emotional attachment. ( Robert Kennedy had us re-cut JFK's inauguration suit. They were not remotely the same size. That was an example of an "emotional" attachment.)
    I suggest you give the suit to someone.

Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

1 person likes this.
  5. mazy

mazy Member

Thanks for your opinions. I did end up gifting the suit and it fits him really well after minor alterations.