1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suit pattern = dated suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by klewless, Feb 9, 2013.

1. klewless

klewless Well-Known Member

In need of a new cheaper suit, I pick something up at recent sale. After bringing it home, I am having second thoughts as I am concerned that the pattern looks dated. I fear that this will diminish the amount I will actually wear it, as I will feel that I am stuck in the '90's.

I have added a few shots of the fabric below, and would appreciate any thoughts regarding the suit. TIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

It's textured. Nothing wrong with that, it just takes the right pairings. It wouldn't be my choice as a first suit but it has it's place. Unless of course it's polyester. Then I'd burn it.

3. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be a birdseye or nailhead weave (hard to tell), both of which are infinitely more stylish than yer boring plain weave. Wear with pride!

4. Caustic Man

Second for nailhead. Hard to tell from here though.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I always prefer a textured weave for plain colour.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

How old are you? That would look dated if you're really young, but if you're 25+ you can pull it off. It's more about the cut though...full pictures would help.

7. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Please elaborate.

8. Caustic Man

I disagree. I think this can be a perfectly fine look for a young person or something with perhaps a few more grays. I am in my mid 30s and I would wear it.

9. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member

This. The gorge height and other design features will date it more than a simple texture.

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I like the pattern and visual texture. This would be nice in rotation with a solid colored navy suit.

11. klewless

klewless Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments so far....here is quick and dirty shot of the front of the jacket. The weave is nailhead, and I am early 40's....

[​IMG]

12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I think how it is tailored and the accessories/shirt and shoes you wear with it will determine if it looks contemporary. That should be easy to do.

For starters:
    Solid spread collared white, pink and blue shirts would work.
    Consider a narrow black silk knit tie. Maybe one in a burgundy.
    A white linen pocket square
    A simple black belt with silver metal buckle
    Black captoe oxfords

You don't need to jazz this up with too much color or pattern. A simple, minimalistic, classic approach will look best. If you don't like that approach, then take back the suit and get a solid gray or navy to use as a base for adding more patterns and colors.

13. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

+1