1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suit jacket etiquette?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

I am going to a work function. It will be a buffet style dinner/cocktail/dance type of thing in the evening in a pretty swanky place. Can I keep my suit jacket on the whole night if it's not too hot, or am I supposed to take it off?

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

I'd keep mine on. Wear a lighter weight suit.

3. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

4. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

Is there a social situation where you're supposed to actually take your jacket off? I wasn't aware that there was.

5. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

Is there a social situation where you're supposed to actually take your jacket off? I wasn't aware that there was.

Royal Navy mess diners - after port and coffee, the gathering usually devolves to a scratch game of touch rugby using the most junior officer's rolled-up jacket as the 'ball'. Other participants are permitted to remove their own jackets and play on shirt sleeves. [​IMG]

6. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

Keep your jacket on. If you get warm, keep it on. If every other yahoo in the place takes his off and puts it on the back of his chair ... keep it on.

7. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

I am going to a work function. It will be a buffet style dinner/cocktail/dance type of thing in the evening in a pretty swanky place. Can I keep my suit jacket on the whole night if it's not too hot, or am I supposed to take it off?
    While the status of the HVAC can make this difficult, you are supposed to keep it on, comfort not withstanding.

8. Mr. Moo

Alright, awesome. Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?

9. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Well-Known Member

Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?

No to both. Keep the jacket on.

10. Mr. Moo

No to both. Keep the jacket on.

Wow, I did not know this. Thanks all.

So, to clarify, even if I am dancing and sweating like a pig I should not take the jacket off? What about whilst sitting in a car? Can I keep it off then?

11. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

I think in the car is ok to remove it, as is in the shower.

12. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

Alright, awesome. Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?
    Negative. You are supposed to leave it on until you get home at the end of the evening.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know this. Thanks all.

So, to clarify, even if I am dancing and sweating like a pig I should not take the jacket off? What about whilst sitting in a car? Can I keep it off then?

Dude. There are no "rules." No one is going to castrate you for taking it off (not even us). If you want to take off, go ahead. Perhaps the preference is to keep it on the whole night by "people in the know." I personally like the look of having the jacket, and don't like the tie without jacket look (looks high school to me). But if I were dancing, and I got hot, I might take it off, weighing the fact that I rather have people see me sweating in my shirt rather than me sweating profusely in my $1000 jacket.

Here's a tip, if you're concerned about doing the "right thing" style wise. Look around what other dudes are doing, and do the exact opposite, and you'll be just fine.

14. spatten

spatten Well-Known Member

I keep my jacket on, unless I'm dancing. The unfortunate truth is that most jackets are tailored for men having their arms down, and bunch up terribly when dancing in frame. In that case I think it's better to take the jacket off.

15. ndw

ndw Well-Known Member

Here's a tip, if you're concerned about doing the "right thing" style wise. Look around what other dudes are doing, and do the exact opposite, and you'll be just fine.

+1

16. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Well-Known Member

But what if it gets really hot?

[​IMG]

17. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Well-Known Member

But what if it gets really hot?

Then you go on a diet.

18. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

^^I bet that guy got all sweaty from just sitting.

19. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I keep my jacket on, unless I'm dancing. The unfortunate truth is that most jackets are tailored for men having their arms down, and bunch up terribly when dancing in frame. In that case I think it's better to take the jacket off.
    +1

If you've still got your suit jacket on when you're "dancing," then you cannot possibly be dancing. (Disclaimer: This statement does not apply to stuffy events in which dancers are waltzing and foxtrotting, in which case the gentlemen should probably be wearing tuxes anyway.)

20. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

thats why most dinner suits are made of tropical worsteds.