1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suit hangers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 18, 2004.

1. newtrane

newtrane Well-Known Member

Could Hangerproject include hangers for sportscoats?

I would really appreciate that (and I think others too).

Thanks!

2. BdeRWest

BdeRWest Well-Known Member

Could Hangerproject include hangers for sportscoats?

I would really appreciate that (and I think others too).

Thanks!

Hanger for odd jacket = suit hanger. Just pretend the trouser bar is not there.

3. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

Hanger for odd jacket = suit hanger.
    Just pretend the trouser bar is not there.

Each suit hanger comes with willing suspension of
    (a) pants, or
    (b) disbelief

4. newtrane

newtrane Well-Known Member

I would need hangers for sportjackets / overcoats for clients ... no way I will just pretend the trouser bar is not there.

[​IMG]

5. BdeRWest

Each suit hanger comes with willing suspension of
    (a) pants, or
    (b) disbelief

This ad copy writes itself!

I would need hangers for sportjackets / overcoats for clients ... no way I will just pretend the trouser bar is not there.

Ah, well, then tell them it is a scarf bar?

6. farfisa23

farfisa23 Well-Known Member

I thought those were.... its all relative, I guess.

A'ight big shot, I am looking forward to pics of your closet with 1000's of dollars worth of hangers alone.

Troll.

7. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

A'ight big shot, I am looking forward to pics of your closet with 1000's of dollars worth of hangers alone.

Troll.

My hangers are worth more than your suits.

/e-ballin'

8. farfisa23

My hangers are worth more than your suits.

/e-ballin'

Coming from a man with a screen name of "James Bond" from Omaha, I am sure that is true, sir.

9. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Well-Known Member

Are suit hangers with fat ends truly necessary?

10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

If you look at the top of the page, you will see an 'affiliate' link to The Hangar Project. They have suit hangars that are 17", 18.5" or 20"; they appear to be quality hangars.

Here's the link. Click on suit and scroll to the bottom of the page for the different sizes.

[​IMG]

Oh man, I'm sorta wishing I hadn't seen this . . .

11. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Well-Known Member

From the WSJ hangar review:

[​IMG]

Here's the link the hangar they picture

http://www.henryhanger.com/product_d...60-FDB&code=16

The WSJ article mentions a model this company makes with a 2" shoulder and an optional pants bar (which would probably satisfy the need for a sc hangar w/ no bar) but you'll have to research that one yourself.

12. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Well-Known Member

Another thought: Saks Off 5th has some suit hangars with WIDE shoulders on them. Anytime I buy a suit or SC there I make sure to hunt one down and pair it with whatever I'm buying rather than the usual crummy plastic hangar or thin wooden model. Since I've found a few things to flip there recently I've bee able to amass a decent number of those, and the price is right.

Granted, you'd have to flip about 30 items to make the plan work for you, but I didn't say it was a perfect plan.

13. farfisa23

Another thought: Saks Off 5th has some suit hangars with WIDE shoulders on them. Anytime I buy a suit or SC there I make sure to hunt one down and pair it with whatever I'm buying rather than the usual crummy plastic hangar or thin wooden model. Since I've found a few things to flip there recently I've bee able to amass a decent number of those, and the price is right.

Granted, you'd have to flip about 30 items to make the plan work for you, but I didn't say it was a perfect plan.

Genius!

14. BdeRWest

Are suit hangers with fat ends truly necessary?
    Yes.

15. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Genius!

Who needs to flip? You could be that guy who buys and then returns a day later sans hanger.

Back on track - do any of the Canadians have a good local resource for hangers?

16. flatsixcrazy

flatsixcrazy Well-Known Member

This is no longer the case at some outlet stores as they replace the nice Sak's suit hanger with the crappy thin plastic hanger at the register :).

17. Bravo

Bravo Active Member

18. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks!

19. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

I picked up one of the Walgreens wooden suit hangers today (link above) to give it a try. It was $4 and for the price I'm very pleased with it. The shape seems right along with the fat ends. On the low end, I think it's a great option and better than anything I've seen at either Walmart or Target. I'll likely pick up another one sometime.

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already:

Target carries some by Michael Graves. They are $4.00. They look nice (stained dark wood) and they work well. The shoulders are wide and feature a non-skid strip. The same material is used on the pants bar as well. I prefer these to any hanger I have ever gotten with a good suit; the non-skid pant bar is far better than the clamping kind IMO. The clamping kind messes up the crease in your trousers easily - requiring them to be pressed. Pressing all the time not only gets expensive, it will shine and wear your trousers.

These Target hangers are one of the best things to ever happen to me.

20. hoffmand

hoffmand Member

I have the Target ones as well. For $4 they can't be beat.