1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

suede shoes - post 'em here!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Bureaucrat

Bureaucrat Well-Known Member

Today. Spring is here and out come the loafers!

[​IMG]

:slayer:

2. humphery

humphery Member

Mark McNairy's Dirty Buck Suede Boot ( made by Sanders & Sanders UK, changed to thicker laces for a more rugged look)

just can't resist the clearance sale of these 2 months ago...not bad for ~$200[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

4. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

5. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

6. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

How do you care your suede leather shoes?. I do not care much so all my suede shoes/sneakers look a little beaten.

1.-What to use for deep cleaning or to remove stains?: I use 3/1 water and coconut oil champoo and apply the mix with a sponge. I do not like Omninettoyant.

2.-What to use for regular cleanning?. I use a dampen sponge, let it dry and rub gently with either a horse brush or a gommadin brush. I rub always in the same direction.

3.-Is Nano protector spray convenient?. I just use it before wearing my shoes and only if the weather seems to put in risk my shoes (waterproof). Do not like at all this product (smell, it darkens the leather) and I do not know much about its leather properties.

4.-Is a brass brush convenient?. I understand that it is very abrasive so I do not use it anymore.

Thanks

8. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

What model/last/color is this?

9. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

C & J Chukka, 200 last in snuff :)

10. golfinz

golfinz Well-Known Member

X-Post from the GF thread. Carmina captoe Adelaide:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about my first pair o' suede. But since they're my first pair, and I don't buy shoes by the baker's dozen, I'd like them to be as close to the SuedeOneShoe[sup]TM[/sup] as possible. In a side conversation with @Murlsquirl and @sugarbutch, SB mentioned a bitter chocolate bal punchcap (Murl suggested a brogued blucher), and I'm leading toward these... [​IMG] So I went looking for confirmation-bias pics and commentary, which is to say I'd like for these to be versatile enough to wear with just about anything along the spectrum: worsted suits > textured/patterned suits > odd flannels/slacks > khakis > jeans. I'm not quite sold on jeans because they're bals, but if the shoes needed to err to one side of the spectrum I'd want them to be good with suits. Footwear for jeans I have better covered and tend to prefer boots/chukkas or sneaks with jeans anyway. I may have answered my own question by researching the thread (imagine that!) but I figure a last gut check before kopping was a smart move. Any additional opinions, gents? Inspiration...

2 people like this.
  12. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

@jcmeyer Thanks for the shout

I have to say that you will never look back, nor will you stick at one pair :smarmy:

Another tempter....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. golfinz

@jcmeyer Suede is the best! I believe brown suede is one of the most versatile shoes one can own. They can be dressed up or down.

Highly recommend Carmina for your first suede shoe. Check out @steveyoo1983 and GentlemensFootwear. They are a few hours south of you in San Diego. Check these out, which is what I'm wearing above:

http://gentlemensfootwear.com/colle...armina-shoemaker-adelaide-in-dark-brown-suede

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

How would you say the Rain last fits? I am a 9.5EUK in most shoes, including Meermin Hiro, and most C&J models. How is the instep?

Thanks.

DL-

15. golfinz

The Rain instep is considered rather high. I don't own any C&J, but I do own a Hiro lasted double monk and I would recommend taking the same size in rain as you do in Hiro.

If you haven't owned Carmina, I would recommend checking out the Carmina sizing thread; it is pretty helpful.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  16. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

How about a little Suede and Calf?

EG Malvern Chameleon Calf \ Loden Suede.

Picture by Skoaktiebolaget, shoes are on their way home.

[​IMG]

17. jcmeyer

Dangit Cleav, I know I won't stick to just one - but I have to at least start off by saying it. These polo suede Carmina boots are purdy too. :paranoia:

[​IMG]

Nice! I have to go to SD either this weekend or next so maybe I'll stop by to see them in person. From pics I'm not as keen on the Rain last (Carminas I was looking at above are on Forest) but it looks like they have a UK 6 which is what I think I probably wear and it would be great to know for sure. And maybe I'll end up liking Rain. They also have the dark suede Rain captoe boots and the dark suede chukkas there in the Soller last, both at sale prices that make them close to the prices I assume you get by buying direct from the site.

Sigh, if only shoes grew on shoe trees.

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go with the oxfords you posted, JCM....not the best option on the casual side. The Armoury has something very similar (Rain choco suede Oxford) but with more brouging, which in my opinion, makes it more versatile.

19. jcmeyer

I really need to get ahold of a pair of UK6 Rains of any kind just to try them on. A rare brand in a rare size to find in a store but it sounds like maybe GF in SD is a ray of hope. The Rain slightly squared toe scares me and I have little time for picnics.

I would like a little more brouging, but I think I'd prefer a cap toe and no medallion on suede. So far the Forrest option seemed best but I'm happy to wait a while. I need a calf captoe for suiting too so I may buy that first anyway.

20. golfinz

Sounds like the suede oxfords that GF has are perfect for ya! Steve also has a size 6 in the forest last (or he did a few weeks ago) but in a brown grain calf, so the trip could turn into an "early Christmas gift" kind of scenario :slayer:

He aaaaalllllso has a pretty sweet looking pair or brown museum captoes in a 6.....sorry for enabling

Last edited: May 19, 2015