1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

The men's room in Washington Square Park should be avoided unless you are a voyeur (or exhibitionist).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Of course, but any posts here are for anyone to read and respond to if they want. I was providing some input relevant to the current subject of "homeless people (male and female) urinating in the middle of the sidewalk in NYC." .... probably because it's the only place they can go, and if there's any homeless on 6th Avenue, that's probably what they'll do.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

if you can hold it for a couple of blocks and get over to the west side you'll have much more privacy....

4. Sonny58

I got on a train last week and saw a roomy, available seat in a fairly crowded car. Normally I don't care if I stand but I was tired and took advantage of the opportunity. After a few seconds I started to smell something awful. God only knows what I sat in :puzzled: Probably dried urine. I got up and watched the same thing happen again to someone else. (Why don't people warn others of these things? It was obvious that people realized it but no one said anything.) Later someone sat there whose sense of smell must not have been very good. :embar:

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Including you, apparently.

6. Sonny58

I had gone quite a bit away to avoid the smell but yeah, I didn't say anything. Being a visitor to the city I ask the question more as an observer of the culture I guess.

7. Kas

Kas Well-Known Member

Along those lines; when it's really crowded, and people stand two feet from the yellow line. You can't move to that spot because it's blocked from all sides. I don't get it, the train isn't going to magically change course and hit you - that yellow line is plenty of buffer: so stand the fuck on it. It's empty space, therefore inefficient and if there's anything I absolutely hate it is inefficiency. ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

The train is not going to magically change direction of course, but I bet some are worried that they might get pushed onto the track and electrocuted (usually there's big yellow warning signs "Danger High Voltage"). Crowd surges can happen and people have been pushed off the platform. Ever been on the Beijing Subway, Line 1 during rush hour?

I'm sure that's why most modern subways and metros have platform edge doors. Allows the whole platform space to be used efficiently, no standing behind or on yellow lines, and no risk of being pushed or falling onto the track and being electrocuted.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You will only really be electrocuted if you touch the third rail which is furthest from you. It is DC voltage so you can walk right on it, however if you stepped from the third rail and put your other foot on one of the other rails you're toast.

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah but I wouldn't like to fall on the tracks and be racing to climb to safety before the train pulls in (since it usually gets more crowded and pushy the closer you are to train arrival).

I stand up by the buffer...but if the platform was so crowded that people were bumping into you, I might want to stand a little further back

11. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I generally keep away from people on the platform and let them crowd. Less of a chance my shoes get hurt.

12. patrickBOOTH

I do wonder if any of those huge rats ever clibled up on the third rail and their tail touches the second rail and cooks them. Honestly, I have wondered this quite a number of times.

13. patrickBOOTH

Ok, I am adding another one:

The Ass Sniffer: The Ass Sniffer is the person who when walking up to the street from the subway platform is right on your ass with their noses in it. This person will be so close that their knees hit the back of your heels when you are walking up the stairs and either trip you, or knock your feet forward cracking your mirror polished shoe back into the step. Back the fuck off you New Balance wearing jerk-off.

14. sugarbutch

Either you're exceptionally tall, or these "ass sniffers" must be rather diminutive in stature.

15. patrickBOOTH

It is a combination of both. I'm about 6' 2".

16. sugarbutch

Perhaps you can get a sign sewn into the lining of your suit jacket such that you can lift the rear flap and the person behind sees, "Keep back two steps, midget."?

17. patrickBOOTH

That sounds awesome. Even better I can just have the seat of my trousers missing so they can kiss my bare ass.

18. sugarbutch

I think you, of all people, would be concerned about the transmission of pathogens in such a scenario. Better to go with the sign.

On second thought, though, your approach might be a stellar solution for the warm-blooded fellows for whom even fresco isn't cool enough in the summer.

19. patrickBOOTH

I think I apply in both of those situations...

20. sugarbutch