1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i remember, a while ago, impolyt had a post on "the eating habits of people at Costco in Korea" and holy fuck.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^is this the one with people eating free condiments [like onions and ketchup] like a meal?

^ if you're ever on the 6/7/N/R rolling into the middle of queens when it becomes elevated you can see just what would happen with having cellphone signals inside the subway: a clusterfuck of 150 nationalities speaking their native tongues loudly with no disregard to how annoying it is towards everyone else.

this also happens on lucky star/fungwa/boltbus to boston/DC/Philly just a cluster of people yapping away at their cellphones. most of the time the asian driver will have a cellphone conversation going while driving. :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. gomestar

yep, I found it:
    on a much lower tip, and this shit is gonna boggle your fucking minds: So it has been established that I live in Korea, the land of terrible food; add this food crime to the top of the heap. We have Costco here locally as well, looks and smells identical to the ones Stateside, products are 90% the same and imported, plus a little added local stuff in bulk sizes, and the huge thing here is that the food court is run the same way as the ones in the US. You get a hot dog and a Coke for about two bucks, a slice of pizza for about two bucks, a chicken or beef (they call it bulgogi bake here, not like the bulgogi most are familair with) bakes, clam chowder, chicken caesar salad, ice cream, etc. All like under $3, same idea as the US version of Costco. Korean people are pretty far up there in terms of the world's most stingy, cheap, calculating people, so the food court is packed to the gills with Koreans loading up on cheap food like it was a free crack giveaway, from open to close, 4 or 5 cash register lines about 15 people deep when they're not that busy. Okay, so that's the background, here's the real shit: Koreans don't really like this food, they unanimously refer to all Western food as 'greasy' and 'oily' (all things considered, the Costco food court is indeed loaded with that fake mozzarella, but it's really not that greasy at all) - but obviously they don't offer kimchi as a side dish here, and Koreans need some sort of free side dish that tastes like spicy ass that they poke at while eating pizza or something. So they do this: 1. go to onion dispenser intended for hot dogs; put plate under the nozzle, rotate until you get 5 full onions worth of minced onion. 2. pump a half bottle's worth of ketchup and mustard, each, to the side of the plate 3. go back to table and add the free packets of relish from the hot dogs, and about 30-45 dashes of Tobasco from the communal Tobasco bottles (it's hard to get your hands on these sometimes, there's like 5 bottles in circulation and 300 people in this food court) 4 (optional) mix up and eat with forks I am not lying when I say that everybody in this food court does this, there might be 150-300 whole onions worth of minced onion, maybe 4 or 5 commercial tubs of mustard and ketchup each out on the dining room floor at any given time. They have to have someone come out and refill the condiment bar about every 5 minutes, no joke. I tried to get a pic of them looting the onion dispenser, but alas, the refill girl was putting more onions in: [​IMG] My gf went up to a table and asked to take this photo. Note that this onion plate isn't even on a real plate, it's the lid from the chicken caesar salad. (this was for two people, I believe) [​IMG] This is how it's eaten; get a two dollar slice of pizza and a coke, ask for extra plate so you can get 4 onions and a bottle of condiments on there, as a 'side dish' [​IMG] So anyway, this is so fucked up, right? happens day in, day out. We have the G20 going on across town right now, and the plebes eat mountainous plates of onions mixed with hot dog condiments as a ghetto kimchi.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Like the poor man's latte, where some prick gets a shot of espresso over ice and then fills the rest of the cup with milk or cream.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

From New York Magazine today:

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

It drives me nuts when a pregnant woman or elderly person gets on the train and no one gets up. A month or so ago, I got up and offered my seat to a pregnant woman--and she got on the train halfway down the car from me. I couldn't believe I was the first one to stand up and offer her my seat.

7. patrickBOOTH

^Continually pisses me off. People are such fuck shits.

8. gomestar

when my wife had to wear a cast on her foot, at no point did anybody get up to offer a seat. Once during this period, she was even hit on by some black guy who was sitting down.

it's also the reason I never sit down, because as soon as a cripple or a geezer walks on (isn't this what the bus is for??), I'd more than likely have to get up ASAP. I'd rather just skip the sitting part.

1 person likes this.
  9. aravenel

Yeah, I pretty rarely sit for exactly that reason. Usually only when it's late and there's not likely to be many people getting on the train.

Besides, I sit at my desk all day, a bit of standing does me good.

10. patrickBOOTH

I don't sit because I don't like to ruin the crease in my trousers. I wish I was lying.

11. aravenel

No, I believe you. After the story of the hot chick wanting to sit on your lap and you screaming at her to get off lest she ruin the crease, I definitely believe it.

1 person likes this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

My wife broke her foot around seven months pregnant. Big as a house and on crutches, and motherfuckers would not offer her a seat on BART. No home training.

13. gomestar

on the flip side, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of the time that somebody actually needs to sit down on a train, somebody gets up. It's usually a young guy too.

14. aravenel

Yeah, I will say that usually someone gets up. But the number of times that that is not the case is far, far too large.

My kids will absolutely be taught these sorts of manners.

15. gomestar

I've made the general observation that this time of the year brings people with strollers down into the subway system far too frequently. It's annoying as all hell since it's usually during rush hour. I've also observed that the offender is usually Latina.

16. patrickBOOTH

I was pissed when this old lady could barely stand up on the train and right in front of her are two teenaged latinos making out.

17. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Was recently on the subway and enjoyed seeing a guy who looked and sounded like he came from some Caribbean island, preaching "Woman, wear long coats! If you wear tight pants and short coat men will commit adultery by looking at your butt." No joke.

18. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

heavier fabric

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

It's because they actually have children

20. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

What the old lady got in your way so you couldn't effectively jack off while watching them?