1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

That's like 1/5

/GMAT

1 person likes this.
  2. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

The London one works really well (works across the underground, the overground and buses). But it is stupidly expensive. And because the cards tend to be linked to your credit card and will top itself up automatically as you run low on your account, you don't even notice how much you're spending, or when they raise fares.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Such a pessimist. That means that 4 out of 5 work everytime. That's an 80% pass rate. That's better than most people here score on their college exams. People in glass houses and all that.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

pB, I don't understand how unions and pensions affect this situation. If they were replacing people with the proximity cards, that would be one thing, but replacing one technology with another? In that case, it's really just a budget issue, no?

5. patrickBOOTH

I don't know how you can not see how outrageous pensions are not related to budgets and how unions are not related to mediocracy.

6. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

I crap all over airlines, but think about how much better they are than public transit. Imagine if 1 out of 5 of your boarding passes didn't work.

I think that people who work for public transit are lazy, stupid, bottom of the class of their terrible public high school, entitled, and are actual negative value add employees. They should be replaced with robots, which is sad because then they will just be unemployed and still be burdens on our society. Largely true for Postal employees as well. How is it possible that UPS / FedEx workers can do such a better job than USPS workers? I think a lot of it is a vicious cycle. Terrible people hire more terrible people. Also, as pB mentioned, no incentives to be good since for some reason we won't cut their jobs / pay / benefits.

On the plus side, sometimes I feel really stupid and worthless, but seeing some of these people makes me feel a little bit better about myself. If these people didn't exist, then I would be the stupid person in society.

tl;dr --> I am not a Democrat.

7. patrickBOOTH

I don't think this. I think management needs to do a better job and it can improve through negotiations. I think discussions and realistic goals and expectations need to be set and enforced.. Robots can't do the things these workers can do. I hate unions to, but this is silly, railroads are the most capital intensive industry in America.

Also, UPS and Fedex can do better not only because of pensions and budget issues and bureaucracy, but they can chose to not take on unprofitable routes, whereas USPS has an obligation to serve even the most remote customer in the craziest of terrain.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. Harold falcon

I'll be keeping an eye on you. Anyone with a similar fondness for robots can't be all bad.

I've heard that many times but consider those people in the boonies who are forced to get post office boxes because the USPS won't deliver to them. Whereas is there anyone who UPS or Fed Ex won't serve in this day and age?

10. patrickBOOTH

I don't know the answer to that, but I can probably find out. There is some corporate guy who lives in my building that works for Fedex. Also, note that Fedex and UPS are better, but they are also generally more expensive.

11. Harold falcon

Very true.

Honestly if I stopped getting USPS mail I think I'd be fine with that. The overwhelmingly vast majority of it is junk mail. I don't need paper copies of my electric bill or water bill since I pay them online. I still get a few print magazines but I could just buy an e-reader like everybody else and skip that.

It would be tougher for me at work. I still deal with a lot of poor people who need to receive paperwork via regular mail. And I dictate a metric shit-ton of letters. That could get expensive if I had to UPS or Fed Ex.

12. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I opt out of a lot of paper mail stuff if I can. I still don't know why I get so many clothing and department store catalogues when I haven't been to these places ever in my life. You would think in a stagnant economy junk mail would be the easiest cost to cut. I mean JCPenny junk mail? I haven't been to one in like 15 years and I don't even think one exists in NYC.

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

They are related, but so are the depressed economy and reduced tax revenue. Are you aware of any specific objection from the unions to such a change?

USPS charges the same amount for a first-class letter, whether it goes across the street or from Key West to Anchorage. FedEx and UPS can charge whatever they want to charge based on their costs and profit targets. Apples and oranges.

Esquire recently published a piece about the challenges facing USPS: http://www.esquire.com/features/post-office-business-trouble-0213

14. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

I believe they will deliver to the boonies but the ridiculous fuel surcharge make it cost prohibitive (for the person paying the shipping).

15. patrickBOOTH

140% rate hike in 3 years despite rising ridership? O&M costs rising despite no change in reliability? I'd take a 500% rate hike if it meant not having to deal with the bullshit they put riders through on a daily basis. Constant track delays and rescheduling due to "planned maintenance" however there is never any increase in reliability and seemingly the same amount of disruption. Customers see this as incompetence.

16. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

For parcels in England there is one central sorting office. So even if you are sending it across the street it goes via this same sorting office. That could be a 500 mile round trip depending on where you are. Whereas you could post the same parcel to an address 200 miles away but it could actually only end up travelling 300 miles. Brilliant.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  17. patrickBOOTH

Is that why it takes 6 months to get a package via Royal Mail?

18. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

That and general crapness.

19. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

For many people, this would make taxis cheaper than public transit and you would no longer have the critical mass necessary to support public trans.

Did any of you guys see the documentary Urbanized? I believe it's on NFLX instant. There was a really interesting segment about the debate to build a subway / lite-rail in Bogota, Colombia, IIRC. Anyway, they basically concluded that buses were more efficient if appropriately planned out. Pretty interesting.