1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Can't you ward them off with a stiff arm?

2. MRMan

MRMan Well-Known Member

I like the way you think. Usually I've got a briefcase in one hand and a iPhone in the other, so it might have to be an elbow.

3. MRMan

MRMan Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say, great idea for a thread. Those descriptions of yours really sum up society quite nicely.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Or a stiff something else.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

This woman deserves to have her hair pecked out by street pigeons.

1 person likes this.
  6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Ugh. I wish death by meteorite upon her.

7. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

She probably just needs a good banana in her. Looks like she hasn't had one for years.

1 person likes this.
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

That picture is all sorts of awesome.

10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

11. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

I try to avoid the London Underground these days, but I commuted on it daily for years. Recently I've had to travel on it a fair bit. Two things have made me think of this thread.

1. A group of Chinese tourists got on my carriage, which wasn't especially busy, but they all crowded around me and did not spread out or seem to notice my existence. I guess Chinese society and culture is so different from ours that it has given them a very different notion of personal space. Let me just say this - Chinese society and culture is wrong.

2. Today, a very large woman opposite me consumed a whole bag of fruit that she had clearly just bought from a shop. An apple, some grapes and a medley of pineapple and melon cubes (possibly mango). Two things struck me about this: a) Personally, I like to give grapes and apples from the shop a good rinse under the tap before I eat them in the comfort of my own home. You would have to irradiate the entire tube network before you could persuade me to eat anything down there. It's one giant petri dish. b) She seemed to be sort of showing off what she was doing - "Look at me, I may be fat but I'm eating fruit here people" - well, stuffing your face with fruit may be better than stuffing it with cheeseburgers, but do you see anyone else on this train eating a whole bag of fruit at 11.45 on a Wednesday?

12. aravenel

Eating on the subway is fucking disgusting. The worst is when someone has some nasty fried thing they are eating with their hands. Fried chicken, fries, whatever. Not only does the smell permeate the whole car, but they are eating with their hands, on the subway. Ugh.

This morning some giggly high school girl was next to me on the subway. She combined two of my worst pet peeves--the backpack and foot stomping. Every time the train moved, first her backpack would slam into me, then she would stomp on my shoes with her boots. And the whole time, she was obliviously gossiping and giggling with her friend. Double bad, she was talking about how she did poorly on her SAT so *her mom* had to write some letter to complain about it.

So much wrong with this:

1. Stop stepping on my goddamn shoes.
    2. Pay fucking attention. This is the city, if you are walking around oblivious all the time bad things will happen.
    3. You bombed the SAT. Study harder and take it again. Don't try to come up with some bullshit excuse. Honestly, if you can't get it together for a test they let you retake as many times as you want, you are going to fail at life.
    4. If you do have some bullshit excuse, take responsibility for it yourself, don't have your mommy write you a note like a little baby.

You know what, this is annoying me so much I am cross posting this into the "Things that are pissing you off" thread. Maybe even the "Reasons New York sucks" thread.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Young people are the worst.

14. aravenel

Honest to God.

I become more and more crotchety by the day. In a few months, I'm probably going to be going Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino style and sitting on my stoop yelling at kids to stay off my lawn (sidewalk?).

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I've been that way for years, and I'm only 27.

16. aravenel

:fistbump:

17. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Yep young people suck, the order of suckiness goes;
    1. young people, they totally suck
    2. everyone else, they also suck.

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

As a young person yourself, do you bitch at your reflection every morning?

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Patrick's birthday is Feb 29. So while he's only celebrated 27 birthdays he's actually 108.

1 person likes this.
  20. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Old people are pretty bad too. Tonight coming home, some crusty old dude let an incredibly vile fart go, and then proceeded to waft it in my direction with a newspaper. Train was too crowded to move anywhere, I wanted to choke to death on my own vomit.